Push/pull plugging into mobo?

ForYourHealth

Honorable
Jul 11, 2012
Hey guys,

So I've bought two cooler master 120mm fans to go in a push pull set up on my hyper 212+. The problem is, they have 3 pin connectors, and the CPU fan header on my mobo (gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H) is a 4 pin. I know I can buy a splitter to plug both fans into the one fan header, but if I use a 3 pin to 4 pin adapter in addition, will everything work properly?

I suppose the short question is, will the mobo still be able to control the speed of the CPU heatsink fans even if I use the 3 pin to 4 pin adapter? Isn't one of the "pins" for speed control?

Also, if everything will still work as it should, is it better to use a 3 pin splitter plugged into the fans directly and then plug that into a 3 pin to 4 pin adapter or is it better to plug each fan into a separate 3 pin to 4 pin adapter and then plug those into a 4 pin splitter? Or does it not matter? One is slightly cheaper, obviously.

Thanks!

Z1NONLY

Distinguished
I have a Gigabyte 990fx....UD3 board and it auto detects 3 or 4 pin connections, so I just used a standard splitter that plugs into the board with three pins. (3 pin connections with one connection that only has two IIRC)

I would expect it to do the same with your board.

ForYourHealth

Honorable
Jul 11, 2012

So you just use a 3 pin fan splitter (like this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812119148)?

How do you plug it in to the mobo's 4 pin CPU fan header?

Z1NONLY

Distinguished
Yes, I'm sure.

During prime 95 the fans get louder and when I shut down prime 95 the get quiet almost instantly. My case fans are all 3-pin fans too and the ones that are plugged into the "system fan" headers vary speed as well.

The fan that's plugged into the header labeled "power fan" is probably always at the same speed. (It's also just a three pin fan)

Z1NONLY

Distinguished

Just a heads up, that one doesn't look like it will plug into your 4 pin connectors.

You want one that's "open" where the three pins plug into your fans. (Because your 4-pin fan connectors are to big for the "enclosed" 3 -pin connector)

TRENDING THREADS