Solved

Old pc hard drive as external with formating.

Hello, I have hard drive I took out off my old pc and when I put it into the external hd enclosure and turn it on the light just blinks green/red.
I know it isn't the enclosure itself since it works with another hard drive. My question is this:
Does the fact that windows xp is on the hard drive stop me from accessing the files? I really don't want to format it since I'll lose a lot of important data.
11 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about hard drive external formating
  1. Welcome to Tom's Hardware Forums!

No, it should not matter that you have Win XP on this drive.

Recently, I transferred a 750 GB hard disk which had (and still has) Win7 on it, to a different computer (Vista) as a secondary storage drive. Works fine, One of these days I will delete the Win7 from this disk.
  2. The thing is that the hard drive isn't in my new pc, it's hooked up though a usb external hard drive enclosure. I can't put the hard drive directly into my new pc too as the connecters are different. I've tried having the jumper on different settings, master on/slave off has the light blink green/red, have it on cable select does the same and not having the jumper on anything has the light stay a solid red.
  3. If it is in an enclosure and connected to a different PC, then install the correct driver.
  4. Why would I need to install drivers for the enclosure if it already works when I use a different hard drive?
  5. shadic88 said:
    Why would I need to install drivers for the enclosure if it already works when I use a different hard drive?

The hard drive may be different.
  6. Hmm... They don't seem that different,
    the one that works without issue is a Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 200 gig and one that doesn't work is a Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 500 gig.
  7. shadic88 said:
    Hmm... They don't seem that different,
    the one that works without issue is a Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 200 gig and one that doesn't work is a Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 500 gig.

Seagate had problems with some of their older revisions. The 7200.12 is fine; not so the earlier .11, .10 revs. - This could be part of the problem.
  8. Oh, is there another way to get the data off the hard drive?
  9. Best answer
    shadic88 said:
    Oh, is there another way to get the data off the hard drive?

Download and run "RECUVA" - http://www.piriform.com/recuva (There are other data recovery programs too - google for a list)
  10. Best answer selected by shadic88.
  11. Thank you! Happy New Year!
Ask a new question

Read More

Hard Drives Enclosure Storage