shineon2010

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2010
Just need thoughts on new system build

Case : Antec 300

Motherboard: Asus P7P55-E-PRO

Video card: Geforce 9600 GT

Memory: corsair 4gb ddr3

Power Supply: not sure yet ( antec earth watts series 650-750w?)

CPU: i5-750

Installing Windows 7 64bit, i wanna stick with asus but dont know if im gunna use the new USB 3.0 and sata ports? Is it worth it for the future?

any advice is much appreciated!

Solution
Yeah, but it sucks for the potential to Crossfire/SLI. And the first one I pointed to (the UD4P) is also moving away from the Foxconn problem. So I guess it depends on what the OP's looking to use it for, which hasn't been asked yet...

So if the OP wants to Crossfire AND use the new ports, the best choice is the Asus because when it has 2 cards, it doesn't disable the USB 3/SATA 3 ports. The second Gigabyte (UD3) doesn't say that it does, but its second slot is only at x4. If you don't want to Crossfire later, the UD3 would save you some money.

On the PSU part earlier, the OCZ one I pointed to actually increased the rebate. It's now $50 after.
I would get a new HD 5xxx GPU.

Corsair makes very expensive RAM. You'll be able to find some cheaper G.Skill sticks that perform better. Look for 1333 mhz CAS Latency 7.

Antec Earthwatts is a good choice for PSU. Just make sure to stick to the Earthwatts, Corsair or OCZ. I'm currently recommending the OCZ StealthXStream 700W, as it's $55 after a rebate.

I prefer to recommend the Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD4P for $185, but that ASUS is a good board. I would say if you tend to replace your computer every 2-3 years, the USB 3/SATA 3 ports are not worth it. If you take longer to rebuild, then it's worth it.

The GameXStream is not as efficient (StealthXStream is >85%). In addition, the StealthXStream is SLI ready, while the GameXStream is only SLI certified. The StealthXStream is a better unit.

I still think you're making a mistake in not going with the newer ATI cards. The HD 5770 (from $155 up) is the perfect lower end gaming card, while the 5850 ($300) is the perfect mid range card. If the budget's lower than that, the 5750 ($130ish) is also a really good card. All of these run very fast, cool, and are very efficient, making them extremely good in Crossfire.

shineon2010

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2010
Hey man thanks alot, i will consider the 5750 card over the 9600gt, im still debating on the asus board because its over $200 for an i5 system, trying to find a cheaper board with the sata/usb 3.0 ports but their all roughly in the same neighborhood as price goes.

Yeah, but it sucks for the potential to Crossfire/SLI. And the first one I pointed to (the UD4P) is also moving away from the Foxconn problem. So I guess it depends on what the OP's looking to use it for, which hasn't been asked yet...

So if the OP wants to Crossfire AND use the new ports, the best choice is the Asus because when it has 2 cards, it doesn't disable the USB 3/SATA 3 ports. The second Gigabyte (UD3) doesn't say that it does, but its second slot is only at x4. If you don't want to Crossfire later, the UD3 would save you some money.

On the PSU part earlier, the OCZ one I pointed to actually increased the rebate. It's now $50 after.

Solution
Not that I'm aware of. I think they're just the low voltage version. The price between the equivalent Eco series and Ripjaws have bounced back and forth the last month or two. First the Ripjaws were cheaper, then the Ecos, and now (due to shipping) the Ripjaws are cheaper again.