Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Errors BEFORE OC - Prime95: Expected less than 0.5

Last response: in Overclocking
Share
July 30, 2012 12:11:36 PM

Posted here, wasn't too sure which section it goes under. Normally I see this error related to overclocking, so here it goes :) 

I recently got a new custom build (put together by a friend).
It is:
i5 2500k - CPU
Gigabyte UD5H - Mobo
MSI GTX 670 - GPU
Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB 1600mhz - RAM
Noctua NHu9b - CPU cooler
CM Storm scout - Case
CM silent pro 700w - PSU

If you need to know anything else, just ask.
I planned on overclocking, and started preparing by downloading all required software. (prime 95, monitoring programs etc)

I ran Prime95, and instantly got: Fatal error: rounding was 0.5, expected less than 0.4
If I run:
Small FFTs - No errors
In-place Large FFTs- no errors
Blend - Fatal error
Within a couple of minute each 'worker' will usually fail from that error, in a random order.

I have changed NO settings, this build is barely a few weeks old.
No changes in the BIOS, but there is a later version out, would it be worth downloading that?
Everything I have read so far indicates it is a problem with the CPU or RAM.

I read it could be a RAM issue, and try to increasing the voltage. (stock is 1.500)
Changed voltage of RAM to 1.550
Booted, ran prime95.
Within 10 seconds the error popped up, I went to close it but then it blue screened.
Changed voltage back to 1.500, and booted fine again. This led me to think it was a RAM error, so I ran memtest.

I ran 6 passes of memtest, all fine.
http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/6617/img0793nj.jpg
I did notice the BIOS had set my RAM automatically to 1333mhz, so I changed it to 1600, but this didn't fix anything.

I got told to try Intel burn test, so ran that. Passed on normal, got an error on high.
http://img833.imageshack.us/img833/4495/intelburntest.j...


Picture of the error on prime95 with temps up:
http://img708.imageshack.us/img708/7466/prime95.jpg

Prime95 error with CPU-Z up:
(Core voltage jumped around by around 0.1)
http://img543.imageshack.us/img543/6226/prime952.jpg

Would this be safe to carry on and overclock? Or is it even stable if it receives these errors, as I'm not actually sure what they mean.
I understand this is quite a complicated problem, but any help would be much appreciated :) 
a b K Overclocking
July 30, 2012 1:39:58 PM

Looks like a memory IO problem. Try performing a firmware update
July 30, 2012 3:21:08 PM

I'm quite new to this, and have no idea what that means xD
Could you go into more detail or direct me to a guide? Thanks
Related resources
July 30, 2012 3:30:25 PM

Oh ok thanks.
Im currently on F4
Another update: If I run 'In-place large FTS' (all cpu, some ram) I get the error in about 10 minutes.
If I run it on blend (max everything) I get it in about 10 seconds.
On small FFTs (not much ram) I don't get an error. I dont think so, but i've ran it for 3 hours without an error.
Thats why I think it would be a memory problem, but memtest says otherwise :S

I will trying updating the BIOS now
a b K Overclocking
July 30, 2012 3:33:28 PM

Small-FFTs will only test the ram if it needs to. It tries to fit as much of the data in the cache as humanly possible but this is largely outside of Prime95's control
July 30, 2012 4:05:16 PM

Ok, successfully updated to F8, however still getting the errors on prime 95 :/ 
Could it possibly be a setting in the bios? Something limiting voltage etc
a b K Overclocking
July 30, 2012 5:28:37 PM

joeb361 said:
Ok, successfully updated to F8, however still getting the errors on prime 95 :/ 
Could it possibly be a setting in the bios? Something limiting voltage etc


Unlikely. There's a lemon in there somewhere, time to find it.

Take out one of the 4GB sticks and test it, then repeat with the other one.

Memtest tests your ram for errors, not stability. That's what Prime is for
July 30, 2012 9:02:53 PM

OK, I will try that.
Thanks for the help :) 
Wouldn't it be an error in the RAM which causes it to be unstable?
I asked for help from other people, and they have all been stumped :/ 
Not tried individual RAM though, and memtest was when it was at 1333mhz (it should be 1600)
a b K Overclocking
July 31, 2012 12:38:57 AM

joeb361 said:
OK, I will try that.
Thanks for the help :) 
Wouldn't it be an error in the RAM which causes it to be unstable?
I asked for help from other people, and they have all been stumped :/ 
Not tried individual RAM though, and memtest was when it was at 1333mhz (it should be 1600)


Ah fun. Try Prime at 1333. It's rare for Intel chips and motherboards to have a hard time at 1600 but it is technically overclocking
July 31, 2012 4:04:58 AM

I actually had an error message similiar to that a few hours ago OC'ing my I5 2500k I increased the voltage a click or two and it worked fine afterwards. I know you said you haven't tweaked it yet but you might try increasing cpu voltage to 1.31v if it is lower and try. if its already at 1.31 or 1.32 then DO NOT INCREASE. Not sure if this is the issue but worth a shot. Also might check to make sure your ram voltage is at recommended settings probably 1.5v but check to be sure.
July 31, 2012 10:15:44 AM

My ram is supposed to be 1600mhz, so I can't see that being a problem?
I did a lot of tests on 1333mhz, some of those screenshots were (I didn't realise until someone pointed it out xD)
I'll put my vcore to 1.245, but i'll try 1.31 then.
If that doesn't solve, i'll memtest each individual stick and get back to you
a b K Overclocking
July 31, 2012 10:20:52 AM

joeb361 said:
My ram is supposed to be 1600mhz, so I can't see that being a problem?
I did a lot of tests on 1333mhz, some of those screenshots were (I didn't realise until someone pointed it out xD)
I'll put my vcore to 1.245, but i'll try 1.31 then.
If that doesn't solve, i'll memtest each individual stick and get back to you


The 2500K only has native support for up to DDR3-1333. Going above this point to 1600 is trivial but it is technically overclocking and sometimes this can cause stability problems. For a very small number of chips the XMP profile alone won't work, additional voltage may be required
July 31, 2012 11:58:13 AM

Should I enable XMP?
I didn't know 1600mhz wasn't officially supported, that sucks.
Should I change voltage to ram? Last time I tried 1.55 instead of 1.5, and it blue screened
July 31, 2012 12:03:47 PM

Upped vcore to 1.32, still got the errors
a b K Overclocking
July 31, 2012 11:15:53 PM

joeb361 said:
Should I enable XMP?
I didn't know 1600mhz wasn't officially supported, that sucks.
Should I change voltage to ram? Last time I tried 1.55 instead of 1.5, and it blue screened


Use the XMP profile!
August 1, 2012 12:05:30 AM

Am I supposed to?
Not sure really what it does, its auto set to enable.
Should I use it at 1333mhz or 1600mhz?
a b K Overclocking
August 1, 2012 12:23:15 AM

joeb361 said:
Am I supposed to?
Not sure really what it does, its auto set to enable.
Should I use it at 1333mhz or 1600mhz?


The XMP profiles automatically configure the voltages and timings
August 1, 2012 11:18:00 AM

Loaded optimised defaults, then enabled XMP (which set it at 1600mhz)
Booted and ran prime 95, still errors :/ 
Time for memtest on each individual stick?
a b K Overclocking
August 1, 2012 11:48:17 AM

yup, time to test each stick
August 1, 2012 12:24:37 PM

Yes, and run them on all slots one stick at a time and in dual mode on both channels now that you're at it.
August 1, 2012 12:37:49 PM

All slots?
So, one stick in all 4, then repeat for the other one, then dual mode in the 2 spaces.
For how many passes?
This might take a long time :o  Takes me about 1 hour 30 mins for each pass
August 1, 2012 4:37:06 PM

Just got another bluescreen. It said 'MEMORY MANAGEMENT'
Is this to do with ram? I was doing a disk defrag, so it could be talking about a hard drive? xD
This was on just casual computer use, not started the memtest yet
a b K Overclocking
August 1, 2012 4:38:19 PM

joeb361 said:
Just got another bluescreen. It said 'MEMORY MANAGEMENT'
Is this to do with ram? I was doing a disk defrag, so it could be talking about a hard drive? xD
This was on just casual computer use, not started the memtest yet


Yeah memory management is memory related
August 1, 2012 5:04:26 PM

Download OCCT software from here http://www.ocbase.com/index.php/software/20-occt

Install OCCT then shut down your PC. Don't forget to turn off the PSU switch to off ( or O from I) and then take the cable off the PSU.

Don't forget to discharge yourself BEFORE touching any RAM sticks.

Grab just one stick of RAM put it in the first slot from left to right, go into windows and run Linpack with the custom 90% of memory and let it run for 10 minutes. If there's no problem then go with the same stick on the next DIMM slot and repeat the process on all slots with just that stick if all goes right then do the same with the other stick all over again. Don't complain just do it.
August 1, 2012 10:47:48 PM

Not complaining, happy for all the help :D 
Just kind of unsure on taking out and putting in PC parts, but RAM seems quite easy
August 1, 2012 11:02:51 PM

when 90% is selected it says 5229MB, so for custom 90% should I do 90% of 8GB?
a b K Overclocking
August 2, 2012 2:37:14 AM

theconsolegamer said:
Download OCCT software from here http://www.ocbase.com/index.php/software/20-occt

Install OCCT then shut down your PC. Don't forget to turn off the PSU switch to off ( or O from I) and then take the cable off the PSU.

Don't forget to discharge yourself BEFORE touching any RAM sticks.

Grab just one stick of RAM put it in the first slot from left to right, go into windows and run Linpack with the custom 90% of memory and let it run for 10 minutes. If there's no problem then go with the same stick on the next DIMM slot and repeat the process on all slots with just that stick if all goes right then do the same with the other stick all over again. Don't complain just do it.


Do not remove the PSU cable, the case will not be grounded
August 2, 2012 10:44:32 AM

joeb361 said:
Not complaining, happy for all the help :D 
Just kind of unsure on taking out and putting in PC parts, but RAM seems quite easy

What? No don't take the MOBO out just yet, it may not be necessary.
joeb361 said:
when 90% is selected it says 5229MB, so for custom 90% should I do 90% of 8GB?
Wait, if your sticks are of 4GB then why it says 5229MB? Did you did the procedure as explained?

Pinhedd said:
Do not remove the PSU cable, the case will not be grounded

Yeah thanks. I learn something new in this forum everyday! :hello: 
August 2, 2012 11:37:25 AM

theconsolegamer said:

Wait, if your sticks are of 4GB then why it says 5229MB?




My ram is 8GB. In OCCT there is an option for 90%, which shows 5229MB of RAM. Obviously this is not 90% of 8GB, and you said set it to custom, and do 90%. You have to enter it in MB, so my question is do I enter 90% of 8192mb (which is 7373mb)?
Im kind of confused why the numbers would be different
Not started it yet, as I wanted to clear this up to make sure I did it right :) 
August 2, 2012 12:45:44 PM

joeb361 said:
My ram is 8GB. In OCCT there is an option for 90%, which shows 5229MB of RAM. Obviously this is not 90% of 8GB, and you said set it to custom, and do 90%. You have to enter it in MB, so my question is do I enter 90% of 8192mb (which is 7373mb)?
Im kind of confused why the numbers would be different
Not started it yet, as I wanted to clear this up to make sure I did it right :) 

Look, use only one stick. The point here is to see if the MOBO works with one stick which will rule out the stick of being defective or the DIMM slots being defective (defective motherboard). I need you to use only one stick on the first DIMM slot to boot windows and run the test for 10 minutes and when it passes to shut down the PC and put the same stick in the second slot and retest for 10 minutes and so forth with all slots with that one stick.

This is important to see if you have defective parts that need to be change or if it's just a bad installation of the sticks. It's important to use only one stick.

Then if there's no problem you need to do the same with the other stick all over again. Just that one stick alone.
August 2, 2012 12:50:48 PM

Oh jeez, I get you now.
I'm sorry, I had just woken up xD
August 2, 2012 3:22:14 PM

One slot is behind my CPU cooler and cannot be accessed without taking it off. Does this matter?
August 2, 2012 3:26:50 PM

OK :) 
Took out one RAM, booted and ran. 4m 05 secs in, error detected!
I have a folder popped up with all the graphs in.
What is the next step? Same ram in different channel?
August 2, 2012 4:04:04 PM

Error after 5 min 30 seconds.
Next slot?
August 2, 2012 4:07:23 PM

The funny thing is that the memory seems to be working fine. RAM volts are fine and all. Move to the next slot with the same stick.
August 2, 2012 4:10:51 PM

Ok, i'll do that now. Do you want me to upload the folders after each test?
Thanks for the help :) 
August 2, 2012 4:18:24 PM

Put them in here with a link to imageshack or whatever other sharing site.
August 2, 2012 4:20:37 PM

Just about to start OCCT on the final slot.
When it was booting, it kept starting, then restarting (before my monitor had a chance to show anything)
I powered it off and made sure the ram was firmly in the slot (which it was)
Tried booting again, and it worked, so no idea what that was about
August 2, 2012 4:31:28 PM

Yeah, it seems we have a defective RAM stick but let's not assume just yet. Drop the other stick in and do the test again on the slots and let's see what happens.

Quote:
When it was booting, it kept starting, then restarting (before my monitor had a chance to show anything)
I powered it off and made sure the ram was firmly in the slot (which it was)
Tried booting again, and it worked, so no idea what that was about
The RAM was badly positioned.
August 2, 2012 4:54:56 PM

Didn't feel like it moved when I pushed it more, but probably :p  Never really taken parts in/out of a pc before.
Running OCCT on second stick now
August 2, 2012 5:04:10 PM

Other stick passed! :D 
Should I upload the folder?
August 2, 2012 5:44:51 PM

Passed :) 
Final slot?
Just going to go and eat first.

If the ram is bad, does that mean I RMA them both?
Never done that before, so no idea how long I have to do it or anything
August 2, 2012 5:50:48 PM

joeb361 said:
Passed :) 
Final slot?
Just going to go and eat first.

If the ram is bad, does that mean I RMA them both?
Never done that before, so no idea how long I have to do it or anything

I haven't RMA any RAM sticks before either but because probably they're dual channel you may need to RMA them both so you get a new kit but I ain't sure.
August 2, 2012 6:50:31 PM

About to try the final slot now :) 
!