Combining harddrives.

ker91

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2011
Hi all,

Just wondering if anybody can help me. I currently have 1 2TB (different from os) which is getting full. I have got myself another 2tb hard drive and i would like to add this 2tb hard drive on to the back of my other 2tb hard drive. So it shows in windows as 4tb. Ive looked into raid and stuff but just abit confused as i dont have room to backup my data to create a raid array.

Thanks in advance, any help would be wonderful.

I don't suggest using Raid 0 or JBOD, the issue is that if one drive fails, it's very hard to impossible to recover ANY data from either drive.

So you have a full 2tb drive, do you have backups of this before you add even more data? Drives die, a lot.

Best thing to do is just add the second drive in as a second letter instead of merging the volumes.

ker91

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2011
Ok thankyou i might just use this drive for back up :) will i be able to set it so that this harddrive never powers on untill i need to back up to it? :)

Thanks

Then you'll have to open the case and plug/unplug the drive when it's not in use if you want it to be shut off. But if you just turn of search indexing on it, it won't get used much anyway.