Vaio PCG GRT 380ZG W Lan Express miniPCI drivers XP Prof d..

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
Share
July 20, 2004 8:56:34 AM

I bought a Vaio PCG GRT 380ZG with XP and the Lan Express miniPCI came
included. I upgraded to XP professional, the wireless connection seems
to hang. I updated the driver from Sony for the Lan Express miniPCI,
it does not work. I unistall the driver and installed many times in
different ways, safe mode, etc, at no avail. Sony service recomends
to re-image the laptop ... which I find very drastic.
Any suggestions? Does anybody knows who is the supplier of this driver
to Sony?

Thanks for any help on this!

David
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 20, 2004 11:44:28 AM

David wrote:
> I bought a Vaio PCG GRT 380ZG with XP and the Lan Express miniPCI came
> included. I upgraded to XP professional, the wireless connection seems
> to hang. I updated the driver from Sony for the Lan Express miniPCI,
> it does not work. I unistall the driver and installed many times in
> different ways, safe mode, etc, at no avail. Sony service recomends
> to re-image the laptop ... which I find very drastic.
> Any suggestions? Does anybody knows who is the supplier of this driver
> to Sony?
>
> Thanks for any help on this!
>
> David

I believe it is US Robotics. I take it you installed the 6/24/2004
driver from Sony? When you say "hangs", what do you mean? Has the card
ever connected properly? What does ipconfig show for the connection?
Is there a proper IP address? In testing the card with XP Pro, did you
reset both the router/AP to defaults, no security, etc.? Manual
configuration or WZC?

Some help might be available at the unofficial sony forum:
http://pub173.ezboard.com/bunofficialsony.

July 20, 2004 8:54:26 PM

The problem is that after I installed the 6/24/2004 from Sony, the
original one did not work anymore. It seems that could not completely
remove the new one. So after the first short lived test with the old
driver, I have not been succesful with the drivers. When I install the
original driver old, XP will start too boot and then after a few
moments of showing the start up dots, it stays there and the only way
to get out is to turn the switch off.
So I thought this must be a bug/problem of the driver incompatiblity
with MS XP pro and I was trying to find a compatible driver from the
manufacturer... or any other suggestion...
Other possible question is how could I restore to my original old
driver in such a way that XP does not hang?

Thanks for your reply.

David

"Quaoar" <quaoar@tenthplanet.net> wrote in message news:<ZYmdnW0gepkjvGDdRVn-ig@comcast.com>...
> David wrote:
> > I bought a Vaio PCG GRT 380ZG with XP and the Lan Express miniPCI came
> > included. I upgraded to XP professional, the wireless connection seems
> > to hang. I updated the driver from Sony for the Lan Express miniPCI,
> > it does not work. I unistall the driver and installed many times in
> > different ways, safe mode, etc, at no avail. Sony service recomends
> > to re-image the laptop ... which I find very drastic.
> > Any suggestions? Does anybody knows who is the supplier of this driver
> > to Sony?
> >
> > Thanks for any help on this!
> >
> > David
>
> I believe it is US Robotics. I take it you installed the 6/24/2004
> driver from Sony? When you say "hangs", what do you mean? Has the card
> ever connected properly? What does ipconfig show for the connection?
> Is there a proper IP address? In testing the card with XP Pro, did you
> reset both the router/AP to defaults, no security, etc.? Manual
> configuration or WZC?
>
> Some help might be available at the unofficial sony forum:
> http://pub173.ezboard.com/bunofficialsony.

a b D Laptop
July 21, 2004 2:34:08 AM

David wrote:
> The problem is that after I installed the 6/24/2004 from Sony, the
> original one did not work anymore. It seems that could not completely
> remove the new one. So after the first short lived test with the old
> driver, I have not been succesful with the drivers. When I install the
> original driver old, XP will start too boot and then after a few
> moments of showing the start up dots, it stays there and the only way
> to get out is to turn the switch off.
> So I thought this must be a bug/problem of the driver incompatiblity
> with MS XP pro and I was trying to find a compatible driver from the
> manufacturer... or any other suggestion...
> Other possible question is how could I restore to my original old
> driver in such a way that XP does not hang?
>
> Thanks for your reply.
>

> David

>> David wrote:
>>> I bought a Vaio PCG GRT 380ZG with XP and the Lan Express miniPCI
>>> came included. I upgraded to XP professional, the wireless
>>> connection seems to hang. I updated the driver from Sony for the
>>> Lan Express miniPCI, it does not work. I unistall the driver and
>>> installed many times in different ways, safe mode, etc, at no
>>> avail. Sony service recomends to re-image the laptop ... which I
>>> find very drastic.
>>> Any suggestions? Does anybody knows who is the supplier of this
>>> driver to Sony?
>>>
>>> Thanks for any help on this!
>>>
>>> David
>>
>> I believe it is US Robotics. I take it you installed the 6/24/2004
>> driver from Sony? When you say "hangs", what do you mean? Has the
>> card ever connected properly? What does ipconfig show for the
>> connection? Is there a proper IP address? In testing the card with
>> XP Pro, did you reset both the router/AP to defaults, no security,
>> etc.? Manual configuration or WZC?
>>
>> Some help might be available at the unofficial sony forum:
>> http://pub173.ezboard.com/bunofficialsony.

At this point, I think that reinstalling the original XP Home image
might be a good idea, simply to acquire the folder /i386 from that
installation on CD. After then reinstalling XP-Pro, you could use that
CD copy of i386 to get the wireless installed properly. It is pretty
clear that there is something proprietary to Sony's install that you
cannot duplicate with the XP-Pro installation and the wireless driver
alone. Check the unofficial Sony forum in the link - I know there is a
FAQ on how to do this, step by step, including saving other
Sony-specific ACPI drivers that might not be included in i386.

July 22, 2004 9:21:44 PM

I do have the Vaio recovery DVDs that I created... do you think I'll
find there the directory i386 in some form?

I did not understand to which CD are you refering to: " ...After then
reinstalling XP-Pro, you could use that CD copy of i386 to get the
wireless installed properly... "

Smilesld

"Quaoar" <quaoar@tenthplanet.net> wrote in message news:<OsWdnVsEj8zeb2DdRVn-og@comcast.com>...
> David wrote:
> > The problem is that after I installed the 6/24/2004 from Sony, the
> > original one did not work anymore. It seems that could not completely
> > remove the new one. So after the first short lived test with the old
> > driver, I have not been succesful with the drivers. When I install the
> > original driver old, XP will start too boot and then after a few
> > moments of showing the start up dots, it stays there and the only way
> > to get out is to turn the switch off.
> > So I thought this must be a bug/problem of the driver incompatiblity
> > with MS XP pro and I was trying to find a compatible driver from the
> > manufacturer... or any other suggestion...
> > Other possible question is how could I restore to my original old
> > driver in such a way that XP does not hang?
> >
> > Thanks for your reply.
> >

> > David
> >

> > "Quaoar" <quaoar@tenthplanet.net> wrote in message

> >> I believe it is US Robotics. I take it you installed the 6/24/2004
> >> driver from Sony? When you say "hangs", what do you mean? Has the
> >> card ever connected properly? What does ipconfig show for the
> >> connection? Is there a proper IP address? In testing the card with
> >> XP Pro, did you reset both the router/AP to defaults, no security,
> >> etc.? Manual configuration or WZC?
> >>
> >> Some help might be available at the unofficial sony forum:
> >> http://pub173.ezboard.com/bunofficialsony.

> At this point, I think that reinstalling the original XP Home image
> might be a good idea, simply to acquire the folder /i386 from that
> installation on CD. After then reinstalling XP-Pro, you could use that
> CD copy of i386 to get the wireless installed properly. It is pretty
> clear that there is something proprietary to Sony's install that you
> cannot duplicate with the XP-Pro installation and the wireless driver
> alone. Check the unofficial Sony forum in the link - I know there is a
> FAQ on how to do this, step by step, including saving other
> Sony-specific ACPI drivers that might not be included in i386.

a b D Laptop
July 23, 2004 12:00:59 AM

David wrote:
> I do have the Vaio recovery DVDs that I created... do you think I'll
> find there the directory i386 in some form?
>
> I did not understand to which CD are you refering to: " ...After then
> reinstalling XP-Pro, you could use that CD copy of i386 to get the
> wireless installed properly... "
>
> Smilesld

>> David wrote:
>>> The problem is that after I installed the 6/24/2004 from Sony, the
>>> original one did not work anymore. It seems that could not
>>> completely remove the new one. So after the first short lived test
>>> with the old driver, I have not been succesful with the drivers.
>>> When I install the original driver old, XP will start too boot and
>>> then after a few moments of showing the start up dots, it stays
>>> there and the only way to get out is to turn the switch off.
>>> So I thought this must be a bug/problem of the driver incompatiblity
>>> with MS XP pro and I was trying to find a compatible driver from the
>>> manufacturer... or any other suggestion...
>>> Other possible question is how could I restore to my original old
>>> driver in such a way that XP does not hang?
>>>
>>> Thanks for your reply.
>>>

>>> David
>>>

>>> "Quaoar" <quaoar@tenthplanet.net> wrote in message

>> At this point, I think that reinstalling the original XP Home image
>> might be a good idea, simply to acquire the folder /i386 from that
>> installation on CD. After then reinstalling XP-Pro, you could use
>> that CD copy of i386 to get the wireless installed properly. It is
>> pretty clear that there is something proprietary to Sony's install
>> that you cannot duplicate with the XP-Pro installation and the
>> wireless driver alone. Check the unofficial Sony forum in the link
>> - I know there is a FAQ on how to do this, step by step, including
>> saving other Sony-specific ACPI drivers that might not be included
>> in i386.

Copy the folder i386 to a CD, if i386 exists on your HD.