1gb ram ddr 1
Asus p4p800d-x
nvidia 6600gt

this will be my new system set up

Q9400
4gb ram ddr 3 1333
GIGABYTE GA-EP43T-UD3L
ati hd 5770

I would like to really know how long it would last. Things i will be doing with my pc are

converting movies
mild gaming
listening to songs watching movies surfing internet
some graphic designing stuff like photoshop, illustrator, flash, dreamweaver and fireworks
alot of powerpoint and word
will be running windows 7 ultimate 32bit(i know it wont see all the 4gb of ram)

i am on a budget but will be able to get a q9550 with a few hick ups :p

Solution
If you're looking for a long-lasting system which you can easily upgrade along the way then I would be tempted to go for an i5, maybe the 750 would be a good choice. The LGA775 socket isn't going to have any further processors built for it and especially since ur doing a new build I would go for the i5 just for the added future-proofing. The i5 750 performs very well in games and will breeze converting movies, photoshopping and anything else you can throw at it.

On the other hand, if you're budget is a little tighter then why not look at an AMD Athlon II or Phenom II X4 chip. They both offer very good peformance for the money and I think the AM3 socket has a little more life in it than the LGA775.

If it were me I would be heading the...

phaisal

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2010
Hi mathews and jsc
thanks for the reply.
I konw it wont see all the 4gb butincase iwould like to try out or migrate to 64bit.
so any thoughts on q9550 and q9400(which one i sould go with?)
thanks

Andy2008

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2008
Home Premium is good too, as long as you won't need XP mode or the ability to backup to a network. Apparently you can upgrade Windows 7 versions, although I have never done that, so you could get Home Premium and if your needs change in the future you can upgrade to a more expensive Windows version.

But I would suggest getting the 64-bit version - as long as your video conversion programs and games will work with it (you may have to do some research through google to check that).

moody89

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2009
If you're looking for a long-lasting system which you can easily upgrade along the way then I would be tempted to go for an i5, maybe the 750 would be a good choice. The LGA775 socket isn't going to have any further processors built for it and especially since ur doing a new build I would go for the i5 just for the added future-proofing. The i5 750 performs very well in games and will breeze converting movies, photoshopping and anything else you can throw at it.

On the other hand, if you're budget is a little tighter then why not look at an AMD Athlon II or Phenom II X4 chip. They both offer very good peformance for the money and I think the AM3 socket has a little more life in it than the LGA775.

If it were me I would be heading the AMD route but of course it up to you :) Good luck whichever you choose!

Solution

TRENDING THREADS