Sign in with
Your question

Computer turns on, but monitor does not..

Last response: in Systems
January 4, 2010 9:09:43 PM

My computer turns on as in the fans run and LED lights turn on, but the monitor does not.. I know that the monitor works since I've used it with my netbook and such. Also, when I try to turn off the computer by pressing down on the power button, it does not shut off, rather I have to turn off the power supply in the back. I have gotten my motherboard replaced which I thought was the problem at first, but now I believe the problem is in the GPU. What do you guys think & what should I do to test?

I can't get into the BIOS or anything since there's nothing on the screen. Also, the mouse and the keyboard is not being powered since no lights show, which led me to think that the computer never actually make it to the welcome screen of Windows 7 (current OS on the comp) since that's when the mouse&keyboard are given power to. Would a faulty GPU do this?

More about : computer turns monitor

a b C Monitor
January 4, 2010 9:39:30 PM

The READ before posting about boot problems! sticky at the top of the forum was created to troubleshoot this exact problem. You need to perform every step in the checklist to properly troubleshoot your problem.
January 5, 2010 12:04:14 AM

i have, thus posting here.. -___-;;
Related resources
January 5, 2010 12:18:27 AM

No, a faulty GPU would not cause your mouse/keyboard to not light up. That problem most likely is the USB connectors on the MB, I had the same problem with my new install. Just keep trying to find a usb input that works, (I used the one on the tower itself) and go into bios and find your USB input connections and make sure they are all enabled. As for the monitor an easy way to find if it is the GPU is to try putting it into another input if your GPU has 2. also is the fan on the GPU running? Most importantly just make sure your monitor to GPU connection is secure. It may sound dumb but did you actually turn on the monitor manually and go to the setting to make sure its on the right source? Hope that helps
a b C Monitor
January 5, 2010 12:18:29 AM

System specs?

kimbokrn said:
My computer turns on as in the fans run and LED lights turn on, but the monitor does not..

In other words your computer doesn't turn on. The only thing that running fans illustrate is that your PSU is producing some power that is somewhere around 12 volts. The LED (I presume the motherboard LED) doesn't mean much either.

kimbokrn said:

I can't get into the BIOS or anything since there's nothing on the screen.
You do not know this either. You can successfully POST and boot to Windows with nothing on the monitor. All the POST can do is check the video interface. If you have a fault deep inside the video card, the POST cannot detect it. That's up to the Mark I Eyeball.

kimbokrn said:

Also, the mouse and the keyboard is not being powered since no lights show, which led me to think that the computer never actually make it to the welcome screen of Windows 7 (current OS on the comp) since that's when the mouse&keyboard are given power to. Would a faulty GPU do this?

This is not quite true either. The keyboard LED's turn on after the POST but before the boot process.

Like shortstuff said, work completely through the checklist and troubleshooting ideas. Or just keep blindly replacing components.
!