Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Help with SSD Configuration

Last response: in Storage
December 21, 2011 5:49:43 PM

Hey everyone,

So I'll be building a new PC soon that'll be used for video editing, audio production, and of course, gaming. I have been trying to figure out what size SSDs or how many of them I should use, but to no avail.

It'd be awesome if you guys could help me out and tell me which SSD config suits my needs best.

I will be using the SSD storage for the OS, audio production DAWs & VSTi, CS5 Suite, and games.

Config 1:

60 GB SSD - OS
60 GB SSD - Applications (CS5; games)
180 GB SSD - Audio
500 GB EX HDD - Backup

Config 2:

90 GB SSD - OS + Applications (CS5; games)
180 GB SSD - Audio
500 GB EX HDD - Backup

Config 3:

2x 60 GB [RAID 0] - OS + Applications (CS5; games)
180 GB SSD - Audio
500 GB EX HDD - Backup

Config 4:

60 GB SSD - OS
90 GB SSD - Applications
500 GB HDD - Audio
500 GB EX HDD - Backup

Config 5:

240 GB SSD - OS + Applications + Audio
500 GB EX HDD - Backup

I am currently favoring Option #3. It seems that RAID 0 will increase performance and give me enough storage for both the OS and the Applications.

What do you guys think? If you have any other similar setups you'd like to recommend, please do so.

Thanks!

More about : ssd configuration

a b G Storage
December 21, 2011 5:59:29 PM

I wouldn't use an SSD for audio. That would be a major waste of the SSD and your $$. If you did #3 but changed the audio drive to a normal HDD that would probably be the best.
m
l
December 21, 2011 6:06:14 PM

ahnilated said:
I wouldn't use an SSD for audio. That would be a major waste of the SSD and your $$. If you did #3 but changed the audio drive to a normal HDD that would probably be the best.

When I say Audio, it's not exactly .mp3 music files that I'm talking about. Programs such as Spectrasonics' Omnisphere or Native Instruments' Komplete have a 40GB library of massive sounds that take time to load. Using all these programs on an SSD would cut down load time drastically and would increase workflow. I would also load the entire DAW (Ableton Live and Cubase) onto the SSD to increase load times on projects and soundbanks.
m
l
Related resources
December 21, 2011 6:12:48 PM

SSD - os
SSD - application
RAMDisk - (4GB = you must have 16GB on system memory)
HDD - Files
HDD - backup

TEMP, History cache, your program scratch file on RAMDisk will help you alot.

on DDR3 RAMDisk - heaven lol

good luck
m
l
a c 119 G Storage
December 21, 2011 6:27:00 PM

The raid option with a SSD can be tricky as you have to be aware of the controllers that are being used , Sanforce controllers on SSD's do not play nice with Marvell controllers on the motherboard , you have to use the Intel controllers and if the only one on the MB is the sata 2 then you defeat the purpose of having a raid SSD. I wouls go with option 5 and get a 240gb SSD for your OS and applications or depending on your budget get a 360gb SSD. If you go with option 2 then a 120gb for the OS and applications and 180gb for games and audio.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...

You can check out these SSD's and what thier read/write speeds are compared to others. I have three of the 180gb , I like how fast they are.
m
l
December 21, 2011 6:29:10 PM

JackNaylorPE said:
I'd use a Tier 1 SSD for the SSD and programs .... Mushkin Chronos Deluxe 240 GB, OCZ Vertex 3 Max IOPS 240 GB, Patriot WildFire 240 GB. Samsung 830 SSD 256 GB and 1 or 2 Barracuda XT's for the files. The XT is a very fast drive and I always use it / recommend it for video editing

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-price-ssd,3070...
http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_conten...

Corsair Force GT SSD? Are those any good?

Edit: thanks inzone, you just answered my question :D 
m
l
December 21, 2011 6:35:32 PM

Also, if I do go with option 5, is it smart to partition the SSD? I like to have everything organized...

It would go something like this:

Partition 1/3 [40GB]: OS Only
Partition 2/3 [80GB]: Applications
Partition 3/3 [120GB]: Audio

Yay or nay?

EDIT:

OR here's an option 6:

60 GB SSD - OS
90 GB SSD - Applications
180 GB SSD - Audio
500 GB HDD - Backup

m
l

Best solution

a c 119 G Storage
December 21, 2011 7:20:27 PM

Too many options , your going to drive yourself crazy , just get a 240 or 360gb SSD and use it like it is , there won't be any added benefit from creating a lot of partitions except having a lot of drive letters. You can orgaize everything with folders and sub folders which being in the same drive letter would make it more organized and accessable.
December 21, 2011 7:35:37 PM

inzone said:
Too many options , your going to drive yourself crazy , just get a 240 or 360gb SSD and use it like it is , there won't be any added benefit from creating a lot of partitions except having a lot of drive letters. You can orgaize everything with folders.

Yes I most likely will drive myself crazy. Seems like your proposed option is the best.

I will be getting a large SSD to house everything and a regular HDD as a backup and storage drive.
m
l
December 21, 2011 7:35:51 PM

Best answer selected by Anakratis.
m
l
!