avalanche0316

Distinguished
May 15, 2008
Hey everyone,

I have been having this issue for the past few days where my computer locks up. It seems to only happen while I am playing games, though that's what I am doing 80% of the time on my PC anyway.
First, the game seems to freeze but the audio continues. When I try and do something, such as ctrl + alt + del, the audio stops and the keyboard stops responding completely, and the only remedy is a reboot.
I have been having issues recently with my keyboard shutting off randomly until i replug the usb in, so I am thinking it might be a motherboard issue.
Replacing the mobo is a real hassle, as I am sure you all know. I am open to any suggestions in determining the issue.
The only hardware change I have done recently is switch out my video card about a week ago.

Let me know what you guys think. Thanks!

Solution
First make sure your power supply is large enough to handle your new video card. Next make sure your case is clean inside with no dust or hair. Then make sure your cables are neatly routed inside and organized . And finally make sure you got plenty of case fans installed to cool your ram motherboard cpu and videocard. Good luck. Also last alternatives change chipset drivers and video card drivers and motherboard bios update. Also you can run hot cpu tester pro for 6 hours and it tests your hardware last resort. Good luck

Doom3klr

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2010
First make sure your power supply is large enough to handle your new video card. Next make sure your case is clean inside with no dust or hair. Then make sure your cables are neatly routed inside and organized . And finally make sure you got plenty of case fans installed to cool your ram motherboard cpu and videocard. Good luck. Also last alternatives change chipset drivers and video card drivers and motherboard bios update. Also you can run hot cpu tester pro for 6 hours and it tests your hardware last resort. Good luck

Solution

avalanche0316

Distinguished
May 15, 2008
Thanks for the reply. I actually changed out 2 GTX 275s in SLI for 2 GTX 460's, but after a little research I assumed by 750w PSU would suffice. I will do a thorough cleaning tomorrow. Perhaps one cause is that the AC in my house got hit by lightning and now is shot, so my room is usually around 82-85 degrees. Its normally in the low 70's.
I also updated the drivers for the mobo and the video cards, as well as the mobo bios, but it happened again afterward. My CPU cooler is a huge thermaltake which is meant for OCing but I haven't touched that yet as I am afraid of frying something.

avalanche0316

Distinguished
May 15, 2008
Update: I don't know if this helps anyone guess what's wrong with my system, but out of 8 or so lock ups in the past few days, 2 times there were little white boxes all across my screen when it locked up. Maybe it is a video card issue? I will email evga as well.