Sign in with
Your question

NOOB's first attempt to build a desktop. Gaming/Media around 1000CDN

Last response: in Systems
January 4, 2010 10:19:03 PM

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: No rush, however most likely to be purchasing it within this week

BUDGET RANGE: Hopefully under 1000 with tax excluding OS, monitor and mouse/keyboard/speakers (so that is around 900 before tax) and will buy a new LCD screen

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: I watch a lot of HD videos(movies and tv shows), mild gaming (Warcraft3, starcraft), and web browsing

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: Keyboard, mouse, speakers

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: I am not sure but I think Canadian ones will be more convenient?

PARTS PREFERENCES: I am hoping for a 24LED monitor so whatever parts work well with them. No preference for brand pretty much as long as they do their job and last long.

OVERCLOCKING: Maybe if it is easy, again first time building it so I am really hopeless at this.

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Does not matter

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1920x1080 monitors are popular nowadays? I am not sure.

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: If you guys could suggest a good LED monitor, that'd be great too.

Also, I am planning on upgrading this same desktop once Starcraft2 and Diablo3 come out; I was thinking that getting a good CPU&mobo and two less expensive graphic card would last me for now, and as well as will help me save some money when upgrading as I will need to just upgrade to better graphics card once those games come out. I do not mind paying extra 10~15% for extra boost on my computer, but I don't think that's necessary because W3 is not a demanding game.

Thank you so much in advance,
January 5, 2010 12:42:08 PM

Is the monitor part of the budget, or is the cost of that separate?

It's going to be really hard to build for 2 games that haven't had release dates announced or specs released on that budget. The best we're going to be able to do is give you the best gaming build and hope it stands up or that you can afford to upgrade it once the games come out.

As far as sites, I'm in the US, so I don't know about Canadian ones other than Newegg.ca. So that's what I'll use.

CPU: i5-750 $220

Mobo: Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD4P $200. Has USB 3 and SATA 6 GBps ports, so it's very future proof.

RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 2x2 GB 1333 mhz CAS Latency 7 $105

HDD: Samsung Spinpoint F3 500 GB. Might not be on Newegg.ca, but check elsewhere. If you can't find it, get a Seagate 7200.12. Probably $80

GPU: Radeon HD 5770 $172

PSU: OCZ StealthXStream 700W $95 before 30 USD rebate (probably $63ish after)

Case: HAF 922 $110 before 20 USD rebate (so probably $85ish after)

Optical: Samsung 22x SATA DVD Burner $30

Total before shipping, taxes, combos, after rebates $955.

If you need a monitorin the $1000 budget, here's some changes to make it cheaper.

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE $180

Mobo: ASUS M4A79XTD EVO $120 after rebate

Total with changes: $835, leaving enough room for a monitor.

EDIT: Here's a 1900x1080 monitor on Newegg.ca for $140 with free shiping. I don't know if its any good. I'm not that knowledgable about different monitors. Total with AMD build: $975.
m
l
January 5, 2010 9:42:16 PM

Neither do I think that that combo deal is worth it, nor do I think it particularly suits your needs and also it is over your stated budget.
MadAd's build is better.
m
l
!