Sign in with
Your question

DVI vs Displayport

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 31, 2009 9:37:24 PM

Which produces better picture quality, DVI or Displayport?

More about : dvi displayport

December 31, 2009 9:43:49 PM

If you actually read the article, most of the 'advantages' deal with ease of use, and none of them mention anything about picture quality. The picture quality is effectively the same....the link between them is not the 'bottleneck' of the system.....
m
l
Related resources
December 31, 2009 11:58:18 PM

Okay, I have looked at that page before. The questions I have, trying to weed through a whole bunch of vocabulary I do not understand, are:

What is the difference in color depth between these two? i.e., What does color depth mean (simply put)? If there is a difference, how does this affect the quality of the picture?

I know you may have already answered my question. Just need a little more clarification on account of my technological ignorance.

Thank you for your help.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 1, 2010 3:55:34 AM

DP can offer better image quality with higher bit-depth support, but most DP cards don't enable the high end colour bit depth and you are essentially left with 10bit DVI vs 10bit DP, so no difference in most situations. Now HDMI on the current ATi HD5K cards supports part of Deep Colour up to 12bit per channel, so there's the theoretical advantage there, but it's still often limited by the display on the other end.

Main thing is what you're using it for? Gaming and general surfing/office use won't matter as everything is essential 32bit/8-per-channel, but for picture and video editing it will matter. But like I said, you could still be limited by your display not the connection.
m
l
!