Gaming Computer Part Compatibility Check

wak101

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2010
Hello people,as an Xmas/birthday presenst/treat to myself i'm building a gaming PC, i'm almost there with component selection. this is my very first build, and know fairly little, but have read quite a bit and had a lot of help from a competent friend, but I want a parts check before I buy anything!

i'm not worried about costs atm, I can shop around when i'm purchasing, just want to make sure

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Before the end of Jan BUDGET RANGE: ~£800-£900

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming (Supreme Commander almost exclusively!), watching vids, uni work, surfing

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: I'll be using a mon/KB/Mouse from my laptop as well as running Windows 7

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: UK

PARTS LIST
MOBO:Gigabyte P55-UD4
CPU: Intel i7-860
GPU: Nvidia Geforce 9800 GT
Case: Cooler Master HAF 922

The folling parts have not been chosen, with all of them there seem to be alot of very similar options

RAM: 2 x 2GB DDR3 cards, not sure on brand/exact spec
HHD: 1x500Gb (for my C drive) and 1 x 2TB (for data storage) i will probably go with the Western Digital Caviar Green range, they seem reliable/ reasonably priced
Optical Drive: DVD rewriter again not sure possibly this samsung one
Other: PCI USB adapter + possbily a multiple memory card reader

PSU:This i have no idea about, my friend is going to work out what wattage PSU i need for me, but any suggestions would be appreciated!

OVERCLOCKING: as this is my very first build, i'm not wanting to do any overclocking,SLI on the GPU or using any RAID systems.

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1440x900

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: like I've said, i would just like to know if i've made any massive blunders on component choice, whether two things are really not compatable. Also suggestions on the second half of parts list would be very helpful!

dmcfc

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2009
Everything you have up there is compatible, but it's not a really good gaming build for the price, first of all, you won't need a i7, if you want it to be "future proof" get a direct x 11 card. As you are not going to crossfire, sli, nor oc, a 650w, 550w QUALITY PSU is fine. For the optical drive doesn't really matter as long as it a SATA DVD burner, the one you chose is IDE.

Take a look at this build.

AMD Phenom II x3 720$135

ASUS M4A79XTD EVO$109

G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB)$95

Antec 900 + 650w PSU $169

ATI 5770$179

1TB Caviar black WD HD$99(I really think that you don't need 2.5tb!!!)

Sony Optiarc Black 24X$29

Total $816