2 hard drives to a single one

rafaeljuco

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2009
Hello, I have a 1 tb hard drive and a 500 gb one. i have it in dual boot to which the 1 tb one is my primary drive and the 500 as a secondary. I want to take out the 1 tb to put it in my daughter's computer. How do i go about on doing this ? thanks

I'm not quite sure I follow your post when you say dual boot. Having two hard drives in a computer is not considered dual boot , having two operating systems say one with XP and the other with Windows 7 and you can choose which operating system you want to use. So you will have to clarify which one it is .

Assuming that you have the one operating system and it's on the 1 tb drive then you would mirror the OS onto the 500gb hdd and then take out the 1tb and format it and load the OS for your daughter's computer on the 1tb drive with all the drivers and software for her computer.

rafaeljuco

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2009
You're pretty much right and knows what i'm talking about. I have Vista on the 1tb and Windows 7 on the 500gb. I just don't know how to mirror it..lol. Thanks for the reply. I'm planing on keeping the 500gb and giving her my 1 tb since i don't really need 2 hard drives.

rafaeljuco

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2009
I tried to change my boot priority in bios then took out the 1 tb but when i tried to get back on the windows, It was telling me to check my boot reference. so i put the 1 tb back in. I was lost after that and in need of help. thanks.

I don't know how much you use your computer or how much free space you have on it but an inexpensive solution if you want to have the two operating systems is to make a seperate partition on the 500gb hdd for the other OS. Wait , do you really want Vista , I mean if you have windows 7 then why would you still want vista? If you are keeping the 500gb hdd and it has windows 7 on it why do you want to reinstall win.7 , you already have it.

When you took out the 1tb drive did you set the 500gb drive as the first boot option?

rafaeljuco

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2009
No i didn't but all is well. Since my little princess want s the W7 hd. Everthing's ok now. I just changed my boot seqence in the bios and she's all good. Hopefully when i install the hd into her computer that everything will be ok. Thanks again for the input Mr. Inzone. Happy ho;iday and stay safe.