Sign in with
Your question

Does this look safe? i5 3570K on a Asrock Z77 Pro4

Last response: in Overclocking
July 31, 2012 2:29:10 PM

So I built a new computer this Friday..
It's for DAW (Musicproduction) use..

It's an insane difference from the Pentium 4 I went from..

I've had it running since this Friday, and everything is stable when running some cpu-hogging tracks..

I've always overclocked my cpu's on older computers, mostly using some sort of auto-overclock, but sometimes manual.. although I didn't have a good idea of what I was doing.. (Bad, I know)
Though they have worked fine for many years, and are still working..

I don't want to mess this one up though.. of course I could skip the overclocking, but I belive I shouldn't have a problem running it a bit higher than stock speed..
I've looked at guides and tutorials, but my BIOS is a tad different than the ones they use in the guides..

I ran a lot of heavy tracks and took this screenshot of some standard software (including the performance meter in Reaper).

As soon as it's idle the core speed drops to 1600..
Does it look stable for a 24/7 use?
Even though I could go for a 4,2GHz or higher, I'm satisfied running it at 4Ghz (The stock is 3,4Ghz with turbo at 3,7Ghz)

I appreciate the help you can give, so I can make music in peace.. :) 

Haven't run dedicated stresstest.. (Will do, if it helps you help me)
Some BIOS settings:
Load Line Calibration: 100% (though it is on auto)
CPU Voltage Offset: Set to Offset - +0,005V

The cpu cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO

Thank you!

More about : safe 3570k asrock z77 pro4

July 31, 2012 2:39:02 PM

Looks safe to me. Have you tried running Prime95 to jack the cores to 100% and monitor temps there? Temps look fine however.
July 31, 2012 3:32:25 PM

Thanks for the quick replies!

Quote:
disable turbo boost and clock it up to 4.2 - 4.3GHz and check temps.
that's the sweet spot.

I tried to disable the Turbo Boost, but I can't even select it, it just jumps over it in BIOS, and it's enabled.. :S

Cjsparky said:
Looks safe to me. Have you tried running Prime95 to jack the cores to 100% and monitor temps there? Temps look fine however.

I just did a test with Aida64, only 6 minutes, but it was basically static throughout:

Related resources
July 31, 2012 3:59:26 PM

Quote:
using XMP.?

= Overclocking the RAM?
No, nothing is changed there.. default profile..
July 31, 2012 5:26:27 PM

Quote:

short quick clock setting:
* disable IGP so now Virtu can't be enabled (unless you want it, I don't)
* hit multiplier to 4x (whatever your target is)
* disable turbo boost
* disable speed spectrum
* disable internal PPL overvoltage
* long and short duration times, set them both to 150...
* make sure power saving features are enabled:
C1E, C3/C6, CPU EIST
* set hardware monitor | fans no less than 62.5%
* XMP RAM
* save and exit
* boot into windows

check temps and decide if you want to go for higher clock..

Sweet!
My BIOS is a bit different though, I can disable Turbo Boost if I change the 'Set multiplier' to either Per Core or on Auto.. :S
As soon as I set it on All Cores it automatically turns on Turbo Boost.. can't turn it off..

Other than that, I've followed your list, running a stress test now.. seems the temps are better now, trying 4,2Ghz.. :) 
July 31, 2012 5:33:45 PM

Temps an the 100% Max temps look about on the bubble for what people suggest as a high water mark. Any more voltage and I may suggest a better cooler.
July 31, 2012 5:41:12 PM

Cjsparky said:
Temps an the 100% Max temps look about on the bubble for what people suggest as a high water mark. Any more voltage and I may suggest a better cooler.

Thanks!
The temps are a bit better now, after following Verbalizers list..
One core reached 70C, but the rest were at 68C..
And the case is soundisolated..
With 4 x 4Gb RAM, 1 SSD, 2 HDDs..

So now it's better temps at 4,2Ghz.. than it was at 4Ghz.. and it's stable (at least for 10 minutes) :) 
July 31, 2012 5:43:30 PM

For some reason I can't edit my message, but I just wanted to say that the voltage is better now as well...!
July 31, 2012 6:15:58 PM

ForHerDeadEyes said:
For some reason I can't edit my message, but I just wanted to say that the voltage is better now as well...!

Sounds great! 68C with 4.2 is just fine IMO. Enjoy!!!
July 31, 2012 6:33:34 PM

Ha!
Guess I spoke to soon..
Went back to the MusicPC (I've got a dedicated internetpc).. stopped the screensaver and started an external drive (powersupply) and the pc rebooted..
Then I started a stresstest with the external drive running and it rebooted within a 30 seconds..

What to change?
When I enabled the powersavings-setting, it set the ehhh something to -0.080 volt.. in offset mode..

I changed that to -0.050
And also set the long+short duration times to 180..

Better?
Should I disable the power saver setting again? :o 
July 31, 2012 7:01:43 PM

I did the changes I said, and ran a stresstest for 15 minutes, while powering on and off the external drive as well as copying 20GB from it..
The max temp of one core is at 72C instead of the earlier 70C.. at 100% load..
It hasn't rebooted..
When it's idling at 1600Mhz, the temps are at 30C..
Maybe I'm safe? Maybe I should take it down to 4,1GHz?
July 31, 2012 7:07:15 PM

ForHerDeadEyes said:
I did the changes I said, and ran a stresstest for 15 minutes, while powering on and off the external drive as well as copying 20GB from it..
It hasn't rebooted..
Maybe I'm safe? Maybe I should take it down to 4,1GHz?

72C should be fine...but that is where I would draw the line personally. Any higher and I'd upgrade my cooler.
July 31, 2012 7:35:03 PM

Quote:
so how's it going.?

those are my settings and one of my motherboards....
works well for me.

Cjsparky said:
72C should be fine...but that is where I would draw the line personally. Any higher and I'd upgrade my cooler.

As I wrote earlier:

"When I enabled the powersavings-setting, it set the ehhh something to -0.080 volt.. in offset mode..
I changed that to -0.050
And also set the long+short duration times to 180.. "

"I did the changes I said, and ran a stresstest for 15 minutes, while powering on and off the external drive as well as copying 20GB from it..
It hasn't rebooted..
Maybe I'm safe? Maybe I should take it down to 4,1GHz?"

It hasn't gone down since then, still transferring stuff from and to the external drive..
Going to run a backup of the OS-drive..
Hopefully it's stable..
Still considering lowering the multiplier to 40, so I'm sure it's more stable..
I will be doing audio rendering offline, shouldn't be that huge of a difference between 40 and 42..
In any case it's still faster than the Pentium 4 3,7Ghz I just came from.. :D 

One thing to mention is that it was stable during 10 minutes before, but I saw the RAM was at 1300, but it is 1600.. so I changed it to 1600..
That might've drawn to much power, I guess..
I dunno..

Is it okay to have the long+short at 180? and the offset voltage (when powersaving is enabled) at -0.050?
You've been a great help guys!
July 31, 2012 8:12:01 PM

Quote:
good stuff, I like it...

I thiiink it's a bit slower actually..
I checked your settings again and you have:
Power Saving mode - Disabled
CPU Core Voltage - Auto
Short duration power limit - 300
Long duration power limit 300

Maybe I should set the voltage to auto as well.. and raise the short+long to 230-ish?

July 31, 2012 9:20:59 PM

Quote:
I thought you were on my settings.....?
anyways, with a lower clock like what you have, it seems either way could work / should work..
take the settings for a test run...

I'm quite content with mine.

Ah, yeah.. I was following your settings.. :D 
Though you wrote:
* long and short duration times, set them both to 150...
* make sure power saving features are enabled:
C1E, C3/C6, CPU EIST

But the pictures says 300..
And it looks like you have power savings disabled.. :o 

July 31, 2012 9:31:00 PM

Quote:
I have two different units with 2500K's in them...
my bad.

No worries :) 
I'm guessing the pictures are the settings I should follow?
It might be the 'power settings enabled' that made it unstable..
July 31, 2012 10:03:14 PM

Well, following the settings in the pictures and 20 minutes in on a stresstest in Aida64.. aaand I've turned the external drive on and off.. and transferred files..
No crashes so far..
Maybe I'll run the test for an hour, hoping that will be enough..
And I have the multiplier at 42..
July 31, 2012 10:27:17 PM

Quote:
temps.?

After 42 minutes now in Celcius:
Core:
0 - 70
1 - 73
2 - 71
3 - 72

Should I scale the multiplier back to 41 - 40...?
July 31, 2012 10:41:15 PM

Quote:
no...
this is Ivy Bridge and not Sandy Bridge, your fine.
if anything add another case fan to your tower.
(what case do you have.?)

leave it be.

Nice :) 
Yet again, thanks for helping me..

I have a Special Edition of a NZXT Source 210.. it comes sound dampened (and I've added more acoustic foam to it)..

I've got two 120mm fans in the front, one 120mm in the bottom, one 120mm in the back, and a 140mm at the top.. (so I have positive pressure)
But it's really quiet..
July 31, 2012 10:54:52 PM

Quote:
2 x 120mm front blowing in
120mm and 140mm back and top blowing out
120mm bottom blowing in

no problem..

FYI
I too have a NZXT case..
NZXT BETA EVO Classic Series
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
;) 

Yes, sorry, forgot to mention intake/outtake..
It's good case, it was easy to install in.. :) 

After 1h5m stresstest (in C):

Core Temp says:
0 - 70
1 - 73
2 - 71
3 - 72

But Hardware Monitor says:
0 - 64
1 - 68
2 - 65
3 - 65
July 31, 2012 10:56:39 PM

Quote:
seems your good.
time for some gaming...
:bounce: 

cheers.

Thanks! :) 
August 1, 2012 1:50:32 PM

Quick question...at idle you are at 1600...Did you leave turbo boost on? I have yet to OC my 2500K, but I felt comfortable enough to give advice limited to temps. The Ivy Bridge comment above vs. Sandy bridge is spot on...sometimes one cant pry themselves out of their world...my bad.

I would think on air, you get to a stable temp after 20-30 mins...1 hour temps are going to be stable for 1 hour or 24 hours IMO so you are looking great!
August 1, 2012 1:51:25 PM

Oh and I would vote against setting voltage to auto...they crank it up in auto and your temps measured now will NOT be temps when changed to auto. It will most likely be significantly higher voltage.
August 1, 2012 11:29:07 PM

Cjsparky said:
Quick question...at idle you are at 1600...Did you leave turbo boost on? I have yet to OC my 2500K, but I felt comfortable enough to give advice limited to temps. The Ivy Bridge comment above vs. Sandy bridge is spot on...sometimes one cant pry themselves out of their world...my bad.

I would think on air, you get to a stable temp after 20-30 mins...1 hour temps are going to be stable for 1 hour or 24 hours IMO so you are looking great!

Yeah, it's idling at 1600 and the temps are low.. :) 
The Turbo Boost is enabled, I just can't shut it off.. :S
If I choose setting the multiplier for 'Per Core', then I can disable the Turbo Boost, but my setting is 'All Cores'..
Doesn't matter if the Intel Speedstep is enabled or disabled..

Cjsparky said:
Oh and I would vote against setting voltage to auto...they crank it up in auto and your temps measured now will NOT be temps when changed to auto. It will most likely be significantly higher voltage.

Not sure what I have now, I think I set it to 'Offset' at about -0.050-ish.. the voltage never goes over 1,119 (if I recall correctly), in any case, it doesn't pass 1,2.. so I'm guessing it's pretty safe..

Quote:
low to medium overclocking on auto voltage more times than not is fine.
I'd say 4.3GHz or lower...
just monitor temps to make sure..

The stress test gave me high temps (one core at 73C).. but I had 'Core Temp' running in the background while I was playing Deus Ex Human Revolution.. after a few hours the max recorded temp was 50C on all cores.. though I built it for DAW-use (music production), audio shouldn't be that much more demanding..
And also, I'm using the IGPU - Intel HD 4000.. and during the stresstests I ran, I also stressed the IGPU which I assume raised the overall heat..
August 2, 2012 12:33:13 AM

Quote:
so you don't have a graphics card yet.?

Nope, not sure if I'll get one..
Less space in the case + more heat (and possibly noise)..
I planned on using an older one already had, or getting a cheap GT210 or whatever they're called.. just so I could use two monitors..
but the MoBo + Intel supports dual-screens.. just need a new cable..
August 2, 2012 1:02:27 AM

Quote:
waste, at least put something better than a GT 210 in there.
it would be a travesty..

Haha, well.. if it were a gaming rig.. yeah.. :) 
But it's only for music-making...! (though I'll install a game from time to time)
Don't need anything fancy..
December 7, 2012 3:27:02 PM

One thing i didn't see here , maybe I scrolled too fast, Is what type of CPU cooler are/were you using ?
I have almost the identical build going right now and wonder what temps I should not go beyond?

While I probably will not overclock, since for my DAW use there is enough power as it sits in stock specs.
December 7, 2012 6:22:43 PM

sturoc said:
One thing i didn't see here , maybe I scrolled too fast, Is what type of CPU cooler are/were you using ?
I have almost the identical build going right now and wonder what temps I should not go beyond?

While I probably will not overclock, since for my DAW use there is enough power as it sits in stock specs.

It was at the bottom of the first post.. :) 
"The cpu cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO"
I'm only using a single fan for it, a second one can be added to it..
It's very quiet..

Intel has set a tcase at 67.4°C, for the i5 3570K.. But I've read that the absolute maximum for the processor is 105°C.. and some people have it running at about 80°C..

I've reached a maximum of 72°C on 100% load, @ 4,2GHz.. it seems it's okay temps.. I might scale it back to 4GHz.. although the processor has a turbo mode of 3,8GHz.. so.. it shouldn't be a problem running it at a bit higher speed..

Personally, not knowing what I've been doing in the past, I've been overclocking my other CPUs to their breaking point (I suppose).. And they are still running after almost 10 years now..
December 7, 2012 10:55:43 PM

Nice to know, thanks. I'm using the Xigmatek Loki SD963 as a cpu cooler similar to the CM EVO.
I pushed (but not OC'ed) a Pent D to pretty hi temps and it still is doing a good job of it.
!