System Specs:
Asus P5N-D
2x WD Caviar Blue 500 GB in Raid 0
1TB WD Caviar Blue Non Raid
8GB Kingston Memory
BFG Nvidia GeForce 210 PCI-E
Antec 650W PSU

Heres the Issue:

I install Win7 x64 with no problems on the system. Install the NVidia nforce and graphics drivers. Install all Windows Updates. System runs at peak performance. I then install the drivers for the Soundblaster X-Fi Titanium from Creative's website, reboot, and POW! failures galore. Services fail, explorer fails to load and such. I reboot the system again, chkdsk activates and says there are corrupt files here and there, and attempts repair. It runs several times, and I give up. I skip the disk check and try to boot to windows. Service and prog failure galore. I cant even boot into Safe Mode. Whats up with that? Ive reinstalled windows several times looking for the problem, and it always starts after I install the Creative drivers. Has anyone else had this problem? Please help.
(Memory tests good, hard drives have been replaced during troubleshooting, memory has been replaced during troubleshooting; and remember the system runs perfectly without the drivers installed.)
What gives? :fou: 
March 11, 2010 4:29:05 PM

Stupid question but i gotta ask did you disable the onboard audio in the bios?
m
l
March 11, 2010 6:55:45 PM

Yeah. I even tried it with enabled. Just for kicks.
m
l
Related resources
March 11, 2010 7:15:45 PM

You're not going to like my answer... but here it is anyhow:

Creative products are garbage, and their drivers are written by monkeys who traded in their crack addictions in favor of an injectable combination of Angel Dust, heroin, and anti~freeze. The best thing you can do at this point is go find the guy who talked you into spending good money on Creative shyte, kick him in his pair of babymakers, then shove the sound card up his behind while he's doubled over. Urinating on him before you walk away is optional, though highly recommended.

OK... ok... ok... I took it too far...

don't assault anyone, please. :) 
m
l
March 11, 2010 7:23:27 PM

Scotteq said:
You're not going to like my answer... but here it is anyhow:

Creative products are garbage, and their drivers are written by monkeys who traded in their crack addictions in favor of an injectable combination of Angel Dust, heroin, and anti~freeze. The best thing you can do at this point is go find the guy who talked you into spending good money on Creative shyte, kick him in his pair of babymakers, then shove the sound card up his behind while he's doubled over. Urinating on him before you walk away is optional, though highly recommended.

OK... ok... ok... I took it too far...

don't assault anyone, please. :) 

ROFLMAO that was the funniest thing i've read in awhile
m
l
March 11, 2010 7:43:26 PM

LOL Good answer even it if doesnt get me any further. Whatever, guess Ill have to work with the onboard audio. Unless anyone else has any more info?
Scotteq, what brand of card do you recommend for decent stuido-esque performance. Recording, encoding and such? (150 USD price limit)
m
l
March 11, 2010 7:50:52 PM

Recording and the like? M Audio: http://www.m-audio.com/

You should be able to find a 2496 within your budget. Hard to argue with if you have a need for MIDI support.

http://www.m-audio.com/index.php?do=products.family&ID=...

ASUS' 'Xonar' cards are also excellent

http://usa.asus.com/ProductGroup2.aspx?PG_ID=deBXUzMkKn...

I'm currently running an Omega Claro + You might be able to find it's little brother (just Claro, without the +) within your range. The difference is the + has a more powerful op amp and will be able to more easily drive audiophile quality headphones.

http://www.htomega.com/claroplus.html
m
l
March 12, 2010 2:25:26 PM

m-audio has problems now, with their outdated drivers, tbh, asus would be much better in my opininon, eventhough its not made for recording purposes.
m
l
March 12, 2010 5:07:33 PM

Wanted cleaner audio encoding from inputs...
m
l
March 12, 2010 5:18:33 PM

Do you guys think that the card being plugged into the PCI-E 1_2 slot instead of the first slot (1_1) matters, if the other slot is empty?
m
l
March 12, 2010 5:21:11 PM

nope.
m
l
March 12, 2010 5:29:23 PM

Then F this card. Garbage. Not installing Win7 on another PC for like 2 years... Done.
m
l
March 12, 2010 6:18:18 PM

get an ASUS.
m
l
!