Help chooses my parts

jaywald

Honorable
Jun 30, 2012
I'm looking to put together my first watercooling system. I have enough space for a 2x 120mm radiator (although it may be a bit tight), I want a drive bay reservoir, 1x CPU and GPU blocks, clear tubes (not sure on size), blue non-conductive anti-algae liquid, a pump and compression fittings if their not too expensive in comparison to others.

I know very little about watercooling apart from watching loads of YouTube videos. My case is a Zalman Z9+, it is a mid tower so there's not masses of room. I was considering buying a Zalman Reserator V2 (
http://www.amazon.co.uk/ZALMAN-RESERATOR-V2-Liquid-cooling/dp/B000S8CICM/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&coliid=I6XV6POC707N1&colid=3HE27JDOPUYVW ) it seems perfect but I was just really wondering if I could make my own watercooling system cheaper.

Solution
125w+130w= 255w. CPU+ GPU = watercooling loop total TDP (You can also assume 20w or so for pump heat dump and maybe even a 10-15% overall thermal output lower than actual TDP. Power consumed is never 100% heat in watts being produced, although they are directly correlated)

But I don't understand how I know what size or FPI radiator will be good enough
This is added in the sticky, as well as the new thermal coefficient table to help estimate a radiator's cooling potential based on total volume in mm^3 based on the 15 sample radiators and their reviews from Skinneelabs.com.

jaywald

Honorable
Jun 30, 2012

CPU: Phenom II x4 965BE
GPU: ASUS Radeon HD 7850

The CPU is the most important however I would prefer lower temps on the GPU as well.

I've been looking at some water cooling kits, namely the Rasa 750 RS240. I would have to buy the GPU block separately but I don't know if a 2x 120mm is big enough for 2 blocks. Will it be harder for the pump if the loop is longer and is the pump that comes with the kit strong enough?

I like the kit because I know everything will fit and I really like the fact the pump and the reservoir are hidden away in drive slots as my case is not massive.

Am I better off buying the parts separately, if so could you pick some out for me?

Lutfij

Titan
if you read up on the sticky, all those would've been answered by you :) take it slow, read it a couple of times and they will start to ring in your head.

to understand how much raddage you'll need, you'll need to do the TDP calc - in the sticky
to understand which kits to shoot for - in the sticky
if you have a good budget you'll still get a kit - also in the sticky

my 2 cents :)

jaywald

Honorable
Jun 30, 2012

Thanks, I'll read the sticky thoroughly as I have to admit I did just skim through it. I hate blocks of text but I'm glad it's there.

jaywald

Honorable
Jun 30, 2012
Ok my whole system TDP is 514w, the CPU being 125w and the GPU being 130w. But I don't understand how I know what size or FPI radiator will be good enough. Can someone please tell me if the radiator with the Rasa 750 RS240 is good enough?

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
125w+130w= 255w. CPU+ GPU = watercooling loop total TDP (You can also assume 20w or so for pump heat dump and maybe even a 10-15% overall thermal output lower than actual TDP. Power consumed is never 100% heat in watts being produced, although they are directly correlated)

But I don't understand how I know what size or FPI radiator will be good enough
This is added in the sticky, as well as the new thermal coefficient table to help estimate a radiator's cooling potential based on total volume in mm^3 based on the 15 sample radiators and their reviews from Skinneelabs.com.

Solution

jaywald

Honorable
Jun 30, 2012

I'm going to get the Rasa kit as it will be enough for my CPU, which is what is more important. Then when I get a GPU block I may buy another 120mm rad and possibly a better pump if I feel they are needed.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Not necessarily needing a better pump, but if you plan to expand in the future, you might consider it either now to be ready, or do it then. The Rasa kits are fairly outdated and they are working themselves out of stock where the Raystorm kits are taking their place. It's an updated CPU block and the choice of the EX or RX rad (RS is being phased out). They also have versions of the kits with a DDC or D5 pump upgrade that you can purchase instead of the usual X20 750 pump. There are quite a large number of people running a multiple block loop with the X20 pump, though.

jaywald

Honorable
Jun 30, 2012

I'll just wait until I know an upgrade is necessary before doing it. I might look into a more expensive and updated kit though, any suggestions? <£200