Sign in with
Your question

ATI - HDMI audio, with sound card

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 1, 2010 1:23:32 AM

I'm trying to send my sound with my audio through the HDMI cable to a LCD vizio tv. The powercolor ATI HD2400 wi8ll allow this with the proper DVI/HDMI adapther wich i have. My problem is my motherboard Asus (K8N-E Deluxe) W/ onboard realtek audio on windows xp does not see the HDMI audi out of the video board so im not able to select it in the control panel. I have the same setup on another pc newer MB W/vista and that allowes me to switch. Does anyone see a possible solution ? Would buying a pci sound card solve this problem?
January 1, 2010 12:48:11 PM

Go to control panel, Select the SOUND OPTION. At the SOUND option PLAYBACK-Mode, select ATI-HDMI Output. That will enable you to have the sound on the HDMI connection.

For your second question...The answer is no...buying a sound card will not fix your problem.
m
l
January 1, 2010 3:13:09 PM

leon2006 said:
Go to control panel, Select the SOUND OPTION. At the SOUND option PLAYBACK-Mode, select ATI-HDMI Output. That will enable you to have the sound on the HDMI connection.

For your second question...The answer is no...buying a sound card will not fix your problem.

Thanks for your reply - Your correct about where and how to select ATI-HDMI, BUT.... When i go to control panel, sound and audio devices, audio, and sound playback the only selection is "Realtek AC97 audio, another tab selection in sound and audio devices is Hardware and its shows my tuner board Hauppauge and other audio devices EXCEPT the ATI HD 2400 pro card. Is this because im running windows xp pro? What next?
m
l
Related resources
January 1, 2010 7:28:16 PM

My PC wouldnt recognise ATI HDMI whe i was using a DVI > HDMI adapter. I had to use the HDMI port and it worked fine. BTW im using windows 7 64 bit.
I've never tryed it on XP
m
l
January 1, 2010 9:00:31 PM

At the control panel DEVICE MANAGER...Do you see all hardware confirmed to be installed properly? Do you see any Reg Flags or Question Mark signs?

You need to load the sound card driver for your on-board audio card(if you intend to use it). Then load the driver for your ATI video card.

If you don't intend to use the on-board audio card you need to disable it AT BIOS Level. Then install your video card driver.

On the subject of DVI-HDMI Adaptor....Are you using the Adaptor from ATI? You need the ATI provide adaptor or it HDMI sound will not work. That is my personal experience with my 4890s. No audio come out untel i use ALL ATI-provided converter.
m
l
January 1, 2010 9:21:33 PM

I tryed to get sound via my 4890, but it didnt work and im assuming its because i used a DVI > HDMI adapter ( I got the adapter with a 4870) because I've tryed using the ATI HDMI sound before with a 5850, the 5850 has a HDMI port so i didnt need to use an adapter and it worked fine.

It could be completely unrelated, but i thought i'd mention it just in case.
m
l
January 1, 2010 11:57:02 PM

leon2006 said:
At the control panel DEVICE MANAGER...Do you see all hardware confirmed to be installed properly? Do you see any Reg Flags or Question Mark signs?

You need to load the sound card driver for your on-board audio card(if you intend to use it). Then load the driver for your ATI video card.

If you don't intend to use the on-board audio card you need to disable it AT BIOS Level. Then install your video card driver.

On the subject of DVI-HDMI Adaptor....Are you using the Adaptor from ATI? You need the ATI provide adaptor or it HDMI sound will not work. That is my personal experience with my 4890s. No audio come out untel i use ALL ATI-provided converter.

As you have instructed - In the setup bios the only audio control called "audio codec interface" when turned off.... at the control panel sound and audio devices there are no sound controls to choose from. Device manager has no red or yellow flags, so all is ok. The ati software is updated for win xp and does have the HD audio which i have run the setup and am assured it loaded correctly, the on-board audio is on the motherboard and updated the latest drivers. It appears no matter what i do the sound and audio setup at the control panel only shows the realtek ac97. My dvi/hdmi adapter is the second one bought from E-bay and it should be the correct one made by ati radeon. Should i consider a bios update yet. Has anyone else been able to send sound by hdmi with windows xp? I believe im running out of options,would you agree?
m
l
January 2, 2010 2:09:16 AM

I'm running XP on both of my computers with HDMI audio through both, 8800GT & 4670.

The 4670 just needed this driver - ATI HDMI Audio Driver to work for me.
It's an Asus with built in HDMI, I've switched back to the Realtek 97 sound but the option is still there in the control panel.

My 8800GT is running off an adapotor that came with it, just needed the SPDIF connection to work.
m
l
January 3, 2010 3:14:38 AM

Today i uninstalled my motherboard sound (Realtek ac97) and again loaded the ATI HD Audio for the Radeon HD2400 Card. I rebooted and went to the control panel to see if the sound system would show HDMI Audio, There was no sound system to choose from. I then reloaded the Realtek AC97 so i had some sound to select and have concluded that This Motherboard (Asus K8N-E Deluxe) onboard sound will never Recognize the second sound system because its HD. I believe the motherboard is to old, what else could it be. I know i have the right DVI/HDMI adapter because i tested it on my other system. I'll just have to run the sound through a pair of PC speakers.
m
l
January 3, 2010 2:18:20 PM

I have an ASUS motherboard. I believe you need to set in the motherboard as:

SPDIF -> HDMI Output.

My motherboard is ASUS P6T SE, but thats how I got windows vista to recognise the "ATI HDMI Output" in "Sound Options"
m
l
!