USB Missing space

okay, so i have a 2gb flash, i use it ALOT and now, the problem is, i wanted to write some stuff in it, and i noticed that the space is only 7.73 mb OUT OF 7.73 mb, so i thought aw well maybe just a simple problem maybe itl be okay later, so i plugged it in later, and its not even beeing detected :cry:
18 answers Last reply
More about missing space
  1. You said "... and its not even beeing detected"
    1. Does it show in BIOS
    2. Does it show in Disk Management (Right Click on My Computer >> Manage >> Disk Management) - if it shows, does it have a drive letter assgined or you would need to assign one.
    Good Luck!
    Merry Christmas!!
  2. Maybe it's just got old?(((
    I inow, it's sad to realize, but you need to move on)
  3. that wuld suck cuz i was using it only for 2 weeks
  4. okay, for some weird reason, its beeing shown again but it still can hold only 7.81 mb free space and not 2 gb :(
  5. Try to format with Parted Magic http://partedmagic.com/doku.php?id=start
  6. okay il try that out right now
  7. ricarduks52 said:
    okay, for some weird reason, its beeing shown again but it still can hold only 7.81 mb free space and not 2 gb :(

Windows might have turned on Readyboost on it and is using most of the space for it. Right-click on the drive and in the properties you should see a readyboost tab.. verify the settings
  8. i dont see a readyboost tab in the properties
  9. it dosent really work, it only lets me to put 7.78 mb into the usb
  10. ricarduks52 said:
    i dont see a readyboost tab in the properties

I supposed you were running W7 or vista... if its an XP machine, it didnt exist.
  11. i prommised to myself never to use windows 7 after wat it did to my last pc
    but anyways im using XP proffesional
  12. What do you see in the disk management concole? rigt-click my computer, Manage, and look in the disk management section..

You should see the usb disk listed there with a drive letter and the size, etc
  13. letter: j
    file system: fat
    8mb fre space
    1.87 GB Unallocated space
  14. ok, so your drive need to be partitionned correctly, delete the 8MB partition then create a new partition that will use the full 2gb.
  15. the delete partition options is greyed out and i cant press it.
  16. Download

http://en.kioskea.net/download/download-127-hp-usb-disk-storage-format-tool

Its a HP usb tool that will allow you to "fix" your issues
  17. okay this pretty much fixed it but not tottaly now i it can hold 1.87 gb out of 2 gb but it will do, thanx alot :)
  18. 1.87 is normal. its all in the way space is calculated. Windows and any OS use "powers of 2".

So 1 million = 1048576 but disk makers use the 1 million number.
Ask a new question

Read More

Flash Media Flash USB Storage