Sign in with
Your question

Change of MB

Last response: in Motherboards
July 29, 2010 5:30:31 PM

Hello,
I just bought a new MB, it has got the same Chipset as the old one, I installed it and got the message "error loading operating system" when i started it up.
No matter what I do, I can't fix it. I then swapped the new with the old, and vupti, it was running again. I don't really understand why this happen?
I've tried to repair Windos XP pro with the CD (genuine), but the problem doesn't change, any ideas?

More about : change

a b V Motherboard
July 29, 2010 6:37:23 PM

In BIOS, be sure to set the hard drive with the OS installed as the primary hard drive.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
July 29, 2010 6:44:27 PM

When you originally installed windows, it looked at your system to see what mobo chip,ram etc was there, you've changed something major and sometimes it sulks :p 
Try what Badge said but it may be you need to reinstall windows on the 'new' system, as you can get it working on old mobo, I suggest
back up any pictures and files you need/want on an external/spare drive,
Remember to have your windows key written somewhere :p 
NOT the drive the O/s is on as thats getting formatted to re-install
Re-install windows on the drive, activate etc
put external drive on system and copy stuff back onto the new O/s drive
Hope this helps
Moto
m
l
Related resources
July 30, 2010 11:20:10 AM

Thanks for your answers, it's appreciated.

Badge; I've done that, and I removed all other drives, not to "confuse" the poor thing.

Motopsychojdn ; But re-installing is what I'm trying to avoid, I know it can be the answer, but as a last resort.

It shouldn't be nessecary, since the chipset is the same. I tried to move the HDD to my Wifes PC, and when it started to boot, windows cut in, and wanted the CD, to install new chipset drivers. With the new MB, I just get the message, and that's it!
I've got the feeling, that the MB doesn't like my HDD for some reason? if that's the case? will it help to re-format?
Anyway, I've contacted Gigabytes Technical support, and I'm waiting for a reply!!!
m
l
July 30, 2010 11:23:33 AM

I forgot:( 

Is there a way? to get an e.mail notification, when someone replies???
Thanks
m
l
a b V Motherboard
July 30, 2010 4:22:42 PM

Yes, Theres a little envelope up the top of the thread, mouse over it, it enables email notification :) 

I know re-installs the last option, but it may be its your only one
data salvage if you canobv :) 
Moto
m
l
July 30, 2010 8:39:37 PM

Thanks Moto ;-)

I found some articles regarding the subject, and quite a few recommend a repair of the MBR, any opinion?

I still got the feeling, that the MB don't like my HDD, meaning, if that's the case? a re-install won't make a difference!
Now, why would the new MB not like the HDD? that's my problem :( 
I'm definitely not a beginner, but I've got my limits, and I'm getting close ;-)
m
l
a b V Motherboard
July 30, 2010 9:20:43 PM

Try installing the HDD in the new system and then boot from the Windows CD -- when it enters setup go to the REPAIR Install (not entering the Repair console but the REPAIR Installation of the OS) *this will reinstall just the OS system files and drivers leaving the rest of the programs\settings intact - That may get it working properly in the new system. (you will probably have to also reactivate the OS - usually using the telephone activation will work (just a computerized operator that you read your numbers to and it responds with an activation code to enter) but if not just talk to MS support and explain that your MOBO died and had to be replaced but it is the same system and they will reauthorize it for you.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
July 30, 2010 10:33:49 PM

^+1 JDFan.
m
l
July 31, 2010 6:12:09 AM

JDFan said:
Try installing the HDD in the new system and then boot from the Windows CD -- when it enters setup go to the REPAIR Install (not entering the Repair console but the REPAIR Installation of the OS) *this will reinstall just the OS system files and drivers leaving the rest of the programs\settings intact - That may get it working properly in the new system. (you will probably have to also reactivate the OS - usually using the telephone activation will work (just a computerized operator that you read your numbers to and it responds with an activation code to enter) but if not just talk to MS support and explain that your MOBO died and had to be replaced but it is the same system and they will reauthorize it for you.

Well, I've done that a few times, and it didn't make any difference .
The weird thing is, that it's exactly the same chipset on the two MB, and that's why, I didn't expect any major problems, I've swapped MB before with different chipset, no problems.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
July 31, 2010 6:18:56 AM

Well, JDFan meant to go to the second instance of a 'repair install' when booting to the XP installation disk.. It looks like you are going right into the first repair install console that shows. To get to the second full repair install function, first enter 'Install XP" or similar. Then a second repair installation will be available. Run that second repair option.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/helpandsupport...
m
l
July 31, 2010 6:38:09 AM

No I'm not :)  I'm going to install and then repair, where it's loading all the files. I've not used the repair console, yet ;) 
I've used repair install a few times with no luck, and that's why I "think" that the new MB doesn't like the HDD for some reason? I can't figure out? if the MBR can work with one MB and not another? I had no problems to swap back to the old MB.
I read an MS article regarding fresh installing XP, and then the PC wouldn't start, MS claim, that it's a HDD problem, and it's the same error message as mine, any ideas about the MBR?
m
l
July 31, 2010 6:41:51 AM

Proximon said:
Yep I usually do a quick google of "XP repair installation" and then point to this:
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

Thanks Proximon

That's what I did :)  at least twice, with different settings on my HDD in the BIOS, it didn't make no difference :( 
m
l
a b V Motherboard
July 31, 2010 6:44:35 AM

You might try reading the first post in this 'sticky' from 4ryan6. I did a similar repair install to save a guy's data a while back. It worked for me.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/241383-44-vista

EDIt when you think about it. That hard drive has so many drivers installed for the 'stuff' (hardware compomnents) on the old board, no wonder it won't boot to the new board.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
July 31, 2010 7:07:22 AM

There are lots of devices beyond the chipset on a motherboard, and it's not just a question of drivers.

HAL is short for Hardware Abstraction Layer and you can think of it as the interface between the OS and hardware. It is something that gets created on installation and not something that can be changed on the fly. In fact, it can be different between two identical XP installations... I've seen that before.

Sometimes, the old HAL just can't be made to work at all. Most of the time it works but not well, causing crashes or lousy performance, and occasionally it seems to work just fine, especially after the repair install. It all seems random to me, although I think there are some engineers that understand and can predict when it will work.

How do you infer an MBR issue from this? I've seen nothing in this thread that would make me think that. If you want to test the drive in the new system that's easy enough. Just boot from UBCD and run a HDD diagnostic:
http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

Do yourself a favor and create a slipstream disk and do a fresh install. It's by far the best way to go.
m
l
August 2, 2010 9:56:28 PM

Problem solved, thanks for your help :) 

I created an image of my c drive, I then swapped to the new MB, and got in to trouble again :( 
I then deleted all partitions on my c drive and formatted, then I loaded the image on to the drive, no problems, it started first time. I didn't have to change any drivers.
That was a weird experiment, and I honestly don't have a clue? never mind, I'm happy that I didn't have to re-install :D 

It's a bit strange! I had 2 partitions on the C drive (it's fairly new) but with an external DOS disk program, it showed 4, the two I didn't know about, was apparently Linux partitions? I've never had Linux on my PC! and I opened that drive from a sealed bag, any ideas?
m
l
a b V Motherboard
August 3, 2010 6:26:45 AM

Maybe a re-furbed unit?
or manufacturer uses linux to check the drives and didnt wipe that ones partitions?
Anyhows, Glad you got sorted in the end man
Moto
m
l
!