Sign in with
Your question

Boot up problem

Last response: in Windows XP
July 26, 2012 7:48:58 PM

When I try to get into the F8 my computer ignores my request and carries on to my desktop.

More about : boot problem

July 26, 2012 9:28:17 PM

you could try msconfig from the run option and set it to start in safemode next time you reboot
m
l
Related resources
August 4, 2012 1:51:35 AM

Emerald said:
you could try msconfig from the run option and set it to start in safemode next time you reboot

My problem is that I'm no able to open up my pc to be able to use the f keys. When the screen opens clicking on F8 or F2 or any F keys is ignored and goes right to the desktop.
m
l
August 4, 2012 1:54:40 AM

princesiddiqui said:
Try F2 & Delete button.

it won't open up only cruises on by to the desktop no matter how much I click the F2 key.
m
l
August 5, 2012 6:45:28 PM

Thanx all for your suggestions. Still not resolved but I'll live with it until I can get a techy to fix this problem.
m
l
August 11, 2012 8:38:12 PM

Lynn_69 said:
Thanx all for your suggestions. Still not resolved but I'll live with it until I can get a techy to fix this problem.

It may be that your keyboard has switched at that moment you press the key. So if you have an F mode or some such press that toggle key, which is the F Mode key, then the other key and see if that works.

Or, if you are using a USB keyboard the drivers may not be loading. If this is so, you will need a PS/2 keyboard from the 20th century which actually plugs directly into the back of the desktop and is attached by a cord.

m
l
August 11, 2012 8:40:08 PM

How old is your computer? Are you using a usb keyboard or PS/2?
m
l
August 12, 2012 6:10:48 AM

My computer is 8 yrs old and I'm using a usb keyboard, have tried 2 usb keyboards so far and still it goes right to the desktop.
m
l
August 12, 2012 3:07:32 PM

the problem could be that not all USB setting in the BIOS are set to enable
m
l
August 12, 2012 3:41:16 PM

Your PC might not allow USB functions if you can't find a PS/2 keyboard you might need something like this http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-Replacement-USB-Keyb...

Although it appears that a few people have problems with that adapter working with their keyboard. But the item in the picture is what you want, i do have an adapter for a cordless mouse which works nice. But your best option is to try to find a still functioning PS/2 keyboard.
m
l
August 12, 2012 11:18:51 PM

Emerald said:
the problem could be that not all USB setting in the BIOS are set to enable

This is a good thought, being as my pc is ancient nowadays it could be a bad port. I'm setting it up at another and see what happens. I'll let you know. Checked the ports and they're all functioning so on with the search. TY
m
l
August 12, 2012 11:21:38 PM

You're welcome for my reply too.
m
l
August 12, 2012 11:43:57 PM

MidnightDistort said:
Your PC might not allow USB functions if you can't find a PS/2 keyboard you might need something like this http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-Replacement-USB-Keyb...

Although it appears that a few people have problems with that adapter working with their keyboard. But the item in the picture is what you want, i do have an adapter for a cordless mouse which works nice. But your best option is to try to find a still functioning PS/2 keyboard.

I Don't think it's the keyboard as it was operating fine before some technicians made adjustments. I was told I'm not a technician so I don't need to use the F Keys. Reason being is they couldn't figure it out themselves. Just thought someone might have an idea what they could have done to prevent me from getting into the boot system.
Even though I can operate in a normal function by using the msconfig and setting to normal start, my safe mode is still set. I'm not able to download programs I have on discs because it's still in safe mode. I've worked on pc's before but never ran across this problem. Even thought I am the administrator, I don't have administrator privileges because I'm in safe mode. Around and round I go. Arrrrggghhhhhh
m
l
August 13, 2012 4:19:55 AM

What brand computer is it? Who did you take it to? If you took it to some no name computer shop chances are they didn't know what they were doing. If you talk to the manufacture they're most likely more capable of fixing your issue. HP/Compaq usually has really good customer service.. at least when i had issues with my first PC they were extremely helpful :) .
m
l
August 13, 2012 4:51:04 AM

MidnightDistort said:
What brand computer is it? Who did you take it to? If you took it to some no name computer shop chances are they didn't know what they were doing. If you talk to the manufacture they're most likely more capable of fixing your issue. HP/Compaq usually has really good customer service.. at least when i had issues with my first PC they were extremely helpful :) .

Thnx for your advise. This pc is not your standard brand and since it is 9 years old, very unlikely I'll receive any help from the manufacturer. I'm looking for answers that may lead to fixing this problem without a whole of more expense, it's not worth it. Just hoping that someone will come up with an answer that will solve this problem.
Motherboard: ECSL7VTA2
CPU AMD Athlon XP 2500+
TOWER: ICUTE CURVE 301SL
m
l
August 13, 2012 6:10:12 AM

One thing you might try is resetting the bios. http://pcsupport.about.com/od/fixtheproblem/tp/clearcmo...

The easiest way is to take the battery out then placing it back in (i usually wait a minute) & this has worked for me with a few PC's before. Never tried the jumper one. But considering your PC is ignoring the keyboard, even if you have to find someone you know that has a PS/2 keyboard it can't hurt to try it just to be sure it's not the USB. USB keyboards don't work on older PC's in BIOS/DOS setups i've run into a few from 2004 where they won't work. Needed to have a PS/2 keyboard & mouse for Dos programs. I think other then just getting another computer that's pretty much your only options.
m
l
August 13, 2012 6:28:16 AM

OP, what are you trying to accomplish? You need to get into the bios. That is not the purpose. You need to get into the bios for a reason. What is wrong?
m
l
August 13, 2012 4:25:35 PM

MidnightDistort said:
One thing you might try is resetting the bios. http://pcsupport.about.com/od/fixtheproblem/tp/clearcmo...

The easiest way is to take the battery out then placing it back in (i usually wait a minute) & this has worked for me with a few PC's before. Never tried the jumper one. But considering your PC is ignoring the keyboard, even if you have to find someone you know that has a PS/2 keyboard it can't hurt to try it just to be sure it's not the USB. USB keyboards don't work on older PC's in BIOS/DOS setups i've run into a few from 2004 where they won't work. Needed to have a PS/2 keyboard & mouse for Dos programs. I think other then just getting another computer that's pretty much your only options.

What Battery, I'm not using a laptop, this is a desktop, no battery in it. The keyboard I'm using worked fine before until some techy's played around trying to fix another issue. It's not the keyboard. I've tried other keyboards and it makes no difference. Something has been altered from what they did and that's what I'm trying to find out because they don't know either.
m
l
August 13, 2012 5:15:59 PM

midnightdistort is correct concerning: battery.

There is a dime size battery on your motherboard. The purpose of this battery is to keep your cmos/bios settings even when your computer is unplugged. Without this battery, and should the computer be unplugged, you will lose your motherboard settings. What you will immediately see is the date change to the year 2004 or so, when the motherboard was manufactured, on startup. This will definitely mess up things for you since each file has a date stamp.

If you replace the battery, and you need to, make sure it is the same concerning the number struck on the battery itself.

But, this is not really your issue. What exactly are you trying to accomplish? Forgive me but you may not even be seeing my messages. I am wondering if you can only see my messages in a white font ...?
m
l
August 13, 2012 7:58:49 PM

w1_m2 said:
midnightdistort is correct concerning: battery.

There is a dime size battery on your motherboard. The purpose of this battery is to keep your cmos/bios settings even when your computer is unplugged. Without this battery, and should the computer be unplugged, you will lose your motherboard settings. What you will immediately see is the date change to the year 2004 or so, when the motherboard was manufactured, on startup. This will definitely mess up things for you since each file has a date stamp.

If you replace the battery, and you need to, make sure it is the same concerning the number struck on the battery itself.

But, this is not really your issue. What exactly are you trying to accomplish? Forgive me but you may not even be seeing my messages. I am wondering if you can only see my messages in a white font ...?

Your right, the battery is not the issue. Whatever those that proclaimed to be professionals did, they did something remotely that caused this and they say that I don't need to go into the bios so they've locked me out leaving it in safe mode. I have asked them time and time again to fix this and I get the same reply. Hard to get my point across as they have such heavy accents and just keep repeating I don't need to open up the bios. Now I cannot get into thems to change it except through msconfig which still doesn't allow me to change the bios in the boot. Consequently even though I'm the administrator I still can't do anything because I'm stuck in safe mode. Very Frustrating indeed. There has to be some way I can get back into using the F keys or simply to be able to make the changes when the screen comes up for the choice of setting it into normal startup. The screen comes up and gives me seconds to make the change but the up and down arrows don't function for me to make the selection. I do appreciate your help and am trying everything that has been suggested but still nothing.
m
l
August 13, 2012 8:26:17 PM

lynn_69, do you have data on the HD that you wish to keep or do you want to start over and re-install the OS just to save the comp? Just to save another post, if you want to start over, do you have the CD for the OS?
m
l
August 13, 2012 9:55:24 PM

They might have changed the time frame for boot options if you can see something on screen, is it at the logo or is it in plain text with various start up options for your OS?But if it refuses to boot Windows normally that could be why your not getting the advanced options in msdos when hitting F8. I don't remember what fixes that as i had worked on a machine that had Win95 that was stuck in safe mode, this was when Win95 was still around & XP is different, never had an issue with it locking itself in safe mode. I would back up any data onto another hard drive (external) or if you have a cd/dvd burner with software that works in safe mode (thats even if you can use your writer). Then reinstall windows if you have the OS installation.

I just wanted to make sure it wasn't just because you were using a usb keyboard and if the PS/2 would or would not work with your machine.
m
l
August 14, 2012 1:14:43 AM

984472,23,1202900 said:
They might have changed the time frame for boot options if you can see something on screen, is it at the logo or is it in plain text with various start up options for your OS?But if it refuses to boot Windows normally that could be why your not getting the advanced options in msdos when hitting F8. I don't remember what fixes that as i had worked on a machine that had Win95 that was stuck in safe mode, this was when Win95 was still around & XP is different, never had an issue with it locking itself in safe mode.

I would back up any data onto another hard drive (external) or if you have a cd/dvd burner with software that works in safe mode (thats even if you can use your writer). Then reinstall windows if you have the OS installation.
______________________________________________________________________________________

That's exactly what these techs told me but I'm unable even to to back-up or uninstall in safe mode. They were quite willing to help me put in the Windows XP disc when I'd completed the tasks. But I can't. At one point they had me transfer all my data and opened another user but that just didn't work because I had my back-up on a flashdrive which wasn't accepted. I finally got back to 1 administrator and was able to get my printer and accessories working again and all is well except for any new web programs I wanted to add was blocked because I don't have either administratrix privileges or I'm in safe mode.
m
l
August 14, 2012 1:16:29 AM

984472,23,1202900 said:
They might have changed the time frame for boot options if you can see something on screen, is it at the logo or is it in plain text with various start up options for your OS?But if it refuses to boot Windows normally that could be why your not getting the advanced options in msdos when hitting F8. I don't remember what fixes that as i had worked on a machine that had Win95 that was stuck in safe mode, this was when Win95 was still around & XP is different, never had an issue with it locking itself in safe mode.

I would back up any data onto another hard drive (external) or if you have a cd/dvd burner with software that works in safe mode (thats even if you can use your writer). Then reinstall windows if you have the OS installation.
______________________________________________________________________________________

That's exactly what these techs told me but I'm unable even to to back-up or uninstall in safe mode. They were quite willing to help me put in the Windows XP disc when I'd completed the tasks. But I can't. At one point they had me transfer all my data and opened another user but that just didn't work because I had my back-up on a flashdrive which wasn't accepted. I finally got back to 1 administrator and was able to get my printer and accessories working again and all is well except for any new web programs I wanted to add was blocked because I don't have either administrator privileges or I'm in safe mode.
m
l
August 14, 2012 3:51:42 AM

lynn_69

I am still confused on what is your goal. If you want to re-install windows and restore your files from a backup, I can help you. Is that what you want to do?
m
l
August 14, 2012 4:28:14 AM

I don't really want to do that but if it's the only way to get this cleared up so that I can get into make changes in the bios, then I'll be willing to do this. As stated above, I cannot do anything in regards to backup or uninstalling. Normaly l can start up the pc, keep clicking on F8 until it opens up the screen to use my up and down to Start in Safe Mode, Start Normally, Make repairs etc and this is what I cannot do. I need to get it opened up so I can set it back to normal mode, or start in last best configuration.
m
l
August 14, 2012 4:57:56 AM

lynn_69 said: "...all my data ... I had my back-up on a flashdrive which wasn't accepted." and "...willing to help me put in the Windows XP dis[k]..."

Okay. If you have your backup data on a flash drive and you have your Windows XP disk. Are you not able to re-install XP then sideload from the thumb drive? These forum conversations as a bit tricky, due to lag.
m
l
August 14, 2012 5:04:54 AM

When I insert the XP disk It tells me that I already have it installed and that's it.
m
l
August 14, 2012 5:15:52 AM

Good. Now we can move on.

Pull out the connection to your hard drive. Start the computer with the xp disk. Oddly enough the computer will work at this point without a drive of any kind. When windows ask to install xp go throught the steps to have it install a new OS. Windows will then start loading all the windows files *into your memory*. While windows is doing this, reconnect your hard drive. When windows is finished loading the files to your memory it will proceed through the installation as if the hard drive was there all along.

Of course you will need to go through all the updates which will take longer than forever but your computer will be as new and then you can sideload your personal data from your thumb drive.
m
l
August 14, 2012 5:31:42 AM

w1_m2 said:
Good. Now we can move on.

Pull out the connection to your hard drive. Start the computer with the xp disk. Oddly enough the computer will work at this point without a drive of any kind. When windows ask to install xp go throught the steps to have it install a new OS. Windows will then start loading all the windows files *into your memory*. While windows is doing this, reconnect your hard drive. When windows is finished loading the files to your memory it will proceed through the installation as if the hard drive was there all along.

Of course you will need to go through all the updates which will take longer than forever but your computer will be as new and then you can sideload your personal data from your thumb drive.

ok I'll give it a try. Anything to get back to having control again. Get back to you when I've succeeded or failed.
m
l
August 14, 2012 5:27:41 PM

This may be a bit late already but i found the possible reason why your locked in safe mode (and something that i typically overlook) If you ever run into this issue again (or if you still haven't re installed XP yet) you can use: run > msconfig, click on the boot tab & you'll see a list of options concerning safe mode. Obviously you want to uncheck the safe mode box and the time out should be at 30 seconds.

Anyways a clean installation should also fix any other issue your computer might have. Just make sure you get all the updates and all your important system software (antivirus scanner, ect) before doing anything els.
m
l
August 14, 2012 5:41:08 PM

MidnightDistort said:
This may be a bit late already but i found the possible reason why your locked in safe mode (and something that i typically overlook) If you ever run into this issue again (or if you still haven't re installed XP yet) you can use: run > msconfig, click on the boot tab & you'll see a list of options concerning safe mode. Obviously you want to uncheck the safe mode box and the time out should be at 30 seconds.

Anyways a clean installation should also fix any other issue your computer might have. Just make sure you get all the updates and all your important system software (antivirus scanner, ect) before doing anything els.

No it's not too late, I did what you said unplugged the connection to the hard drive, put in the XP Disc and waited. All I seen was a block of colors moving around called Self Test Feature check. Then the CD shut down. I have done the msconfig and put it in normal start which it does but still I can't get into the bios at startup. I'm not even given the option to reset the new program, just tells me I have a newer version running and won't let me change it. How can I be in normal start and yet still not be able to change the settings. I'm still told when I go to run a new program I'm not the administrator and I'm in safe mode.
m
l
August 14, 2012 6:05:33 PM

Hmmm it sounds like they did something to your bios then, have you tried to reset it by unplugging the battery on your board? Another option is to do a disk wipe by getting software that would wipe the hard drive. http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/ has plenty of different tools that you can use and it has disk wiper tools but you may have to use it on a functional computer with the same interface as your hard drive (which is probably IDE).

If all else fails you may have to get a new computer overall and donate the troublesome computer to someone that likes tinkering with this sort of thing and may know what went wrong. It's also possible the place that you took it into put a custom bios on your motherboard then in which case you'll need to contact the manufacture to see if they can help you there despite the motherboard being 8+ years old it doesn't hurt to try if your really looking to salvaging your build.

And never ever take it back to the place where you brought it to. They want you to come back by locking your computer out from doing simple tasks and that place is a scam. I do not recommend anyone going there. Places like that just want to profit instead of making an honest business. I have never went to any place (other then the manufacture) for any issues that could also be easily fixed by an honest expert.
m
l
August 14, 2012 11:01:25 PM

MidnightDistort said:
Hmmm it sounds like they did something to your bios then, have you tried to reset it by unplugging the battery on your board? Another option is to do a disk wipe by getting software that would wipe the hard drive. http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/ has plenty of different tools that you can use and it has disk wiper tools but you may have to use it on a functional computer with the same interface as your hard drive (which is probably IDE).

If all else fails you may have to get a new computer overall and donate the troublesome computer to someone that likes tinkering with this sort of thing and may know what went wrong. It's also possible the place that you took it into put a custom bios on your motherboard then in which case you'll need to contact the manufacture to see if they can help you there despite the motherboard being 8+ years old it doesn't hurt to try if your really looking to salvaging your build.

And never ever take it back to the place where you brought it to. They want you to come back by locking your computer out from doing simple tasks and that place is a scam. I do not recommend anyone going there. Places like that just want to profit instead of making an honest business. I have never went to any place (other then the manufacture) for any issues that could also be easily fixed by an honest expert.

I ran a scan and found a trojan, removed it and was able to download Spybot which found more problems. Now I will download ultimatebootcd.com and see what happens. Thanks for all your help my friend.
m
l
!