Spontanious Restart

TheAndyPlan

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
Hi everyone. I recently built a new computer for the first time, and it ran really well....until recently
[i posted this in the homebuilt pc section but havent gotten much help so maybe you guys can help]

i have an x58 le motherboard/ i7 extreme 975/ 6gb ddr3 triple channel 1600/ geforce gtx 285 with a 9800gt in physx/ 1000watt power supply/ cooler master atcs 840 case.

i actually just got the gtx 285 today and i had been using the 9800gt as my main gpu for a couple years. after i installed the 285 i went to start bad company 2 and after the title screen for the game my computer just restarts itself.

let me note that i am currently using the stock intel cooler for the cpu, i have a cooler master n520 that i can install in its place, and i'm using ocz freeze thermal compound, but i think i will get some arctic silver 5 instead because...(deep breath) when i first installed the stock cooler my cpu temp was around 25 idle, 30 or so while playing bad company 2 on max settings. i installed the n520 using the ocz freeze (not the stuff it came with) and my temperatures went to 34 idle, 41 playing the game. so i thought "must be the cooler" so i reinstalled the stock cooler with the ocz freeze and the temperatures are still around 34 idle and 41 playing the game, so it makes me think that ocz freeze is just junk. my core temperatures are nearing 50 idle and 50+ playing the game, which is why my computer is restarting. (even though friends of mine say their cpus are running at 40+ and their computers work fine)

also i wonder if its the power supply, its an Ultra X3 1000watt, but i dont have any hardware to test it, and i dont know of any software i can use to monitor it on my computer.

any help or suggestions would be much appreciated. and if the arctic silver 5 doesnt change anything i was thinking of getting a new cpu cooler :-/ so suggestions there are appreciated too..i have a few in mind though. (XIGMATEK HDT-S1283, Prolimatech Megahalem or Noctua NH-D14) Thanks everyone.

Your CPU is fine. I like to keep everything below 60C but anything up to I think 70C is fine. Throttling will occur if your CPU is overheating. It won't cause a restart. Your CPU isn't overheating anyway.

I just reread your second paragraph and it sounds like you weren't talking about your core temperatures throughout. Because at the end you say you were getting 50 idle and 50+ playing the game. What exactly is "50+" and what temperatures are you talking about in the rest of the paragraph? What program are you using to measure? Actually I think I just find that paragraph confusing. Perhaps you could help me out there?

It does sound like a power supply issue to me but that power supply should be giving out more than enough power. 840W on a single +12V rail. And from my reading, it seems like good quality aswell.

TheAndyPlan

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010

sorry for the confusion. i'm using E-LEET the evga tuning utility. i'll actually just put what its reading right now..

CPU: 34
VREG: 40
System: 34
CPU Core#1: 51
CPU Core#2: 46
CPU Core#3: 49
CPU Core#4: 46

when i say 50+ i mean CPU Cores 1-4 all go to at least 50 and the max i've seen is Core#1 at 55

the power supply might be the issue, but it has a lifetime warranty so thankfully and hopefully i can get it replaced if i get some hard evidence that thats what my problem is.

Has this only happened with Bad Company 2 or have you tried stressing your parts with other games or utilities?

It is possible that there could be a difference with the measuring program and the actual temperatures. Try using HWmonitor and see if you get the same results.

Run the program prime95 using the second option for a few minutes and see what temperature the CPU reaches and if your system reboots or not like with BC2.

Try another game in order to stress the GPU to see if there is a problem there.

1. Put system back as you had it before trouble started.
2. Uninstall video drivers.
3. Clean reg of all things nVidia with registry cleaner like CCleaner.
4. Turn off machine and install hardware.
5. Boot....don't let windows find new hardware.
6. Install latest nVidia driver.