Ms word will not print

Status
Not open for further replies.

fats-prod

Honorable
Jul 26, 2012
Hello,
I am running xp pro, office 97. everything was okay until this morning when I attempted to print from winword. failed with error "windows cannot print due to a problem with the current printer setup. I have done all the idiot routines and nothing works. reinstalled printers, reinstalled office now I cannot delete printers in control panel. All my programs even those in office (except for word) print normally. SO? Anyone have any ideas? Don't mention the obvious ones, test page prints okay? I need the solution to the "WORD" printer problem if you don't know then don't try to help I have had enough of that kind of help already.

Check the Device status to make sure that there is no a problem with the printer port. If there is a problem with the printer port, remove and reinstall it.
Step 1: Check the Device status of the Printer port
To check the Device status, follow these steps:

Click Start, and then click Run.
Copy and paste (or type) sysdm.cpl in the Open box, and then click OK. The System Properties dialog box opens.
Select the port to which your printer is connected. To do this, follow the steps for the version of Windows that is running on your computer:
Windows XP or Windows 2000
To select the port in Windows XP or Windows 2000, follow these steps:
In the System Properties dialog box, click the Hardware tab.
In the Device Manager section, click Device Manager.
Double-click to expand the Ports (COM & LPT).
Double-click the port to which your printer is connected.

The Communications Port (COM1) Properties dialog box opens.
Windows Millennium Edition (Me), Windows NT 4.0, Windows 98, or Windows 95
To select the port in Windows Me, Windows NT 4.0, Windows 98, or Windows 95, follow these steps:
In the System Properties dialog box, click the Device Manager tab.
Double-click to expand the Ports (COM & LPT).
Double-click the port to which your printer is connected.

The Communications Port (COM1) Properties dialog box opens.
In the Communications Port (COM1) Properties dialog box, check the status under the Device status section.
If the status indicates that the device is working correctly, your computer may have another system problem. Go to method 2.

If the Device status box indicates a problem, go to step 2.
Step 2: If there is a problem with the Printer port, remove and reinstall it
To remove and reinstall the printer port, follow these steps:

If the Device status box indicates a problem, click OK, and then click Remove.
Click OK, and then restart your computer.
After your computer restarts, click Start, click Run, type control, and then click OK. Control Panel is displayed.
Double-click Add New Hardware, and then let Windows detect the hardware in your computer.
Try to print.

If this method resolves the error message and if you can print successfully, you are finished.

If the port still does not work after you remove it and reinstall it, examine the printer cable to make sure that it is not damaged. Then, check the BIOS settings on your computer to make sure that the port is turned on. For information about how to check the BIOS settings, refer to your computer documentation.

If this method did not resolve the issue, go to method 2.
Method 2: Check for and repair any damaged files in the Windows printing subsystem
The System File Checker verifies the integrity of system files. If the System File Checker finds a damaged system file, you can restore the file. To check whether there are damaged system files, follow the steps for the version of Windows that is running on your computer.

Note The System File Checker is available only in Windows 98, Windows 2000, and Windows XP.

Note You must be logged on to the computer as an administrator or as a member of the Administrators group to run System File Checker for Windows 2000 or Windows XP. To verify that you are logged on to Windows with a user account that is a computer administrator, visit the following Microsoft Web site:
http://support.microsoft.com/gp/admin
Windows XP or Windows 2000
To check system files in Windows XP or Windows 2000, follow these steps:

Click Start, and then click Run.
Copy and paste (or type) cmd in the Open box, and then click OK.
At the command prompt, type sfc /scannow, and then press ENTER.
If the System File Checker finds any damaged files, follow the instructions to reinstall them.
Try to print.

If this method resolves the error message and if you can print successfully, you are finished.

fats-prod

Honorable
Jul 26, 2012
penguintech

Thanks for your suggestion, I did all that you suggested and it still will not print from Word. Like I said everything else works fine to both printers I have connected (one epson via network and one local brother HL-1440). This is a good problem and if I didn't need it to work so badly or if it was someone else with the problem I would probably enjoy it more.

Your suggestion did clear up a couple of other issues that I had though so it was a great suggestion and worked out well for me although it did not correct my Word print issue.

Do you have any other suggestions?

Thanks

fats-prod

fats-prod

Honorable
Jul 26, 2012
[/fixed]I found my own solution to this problem. If you want to know what I did to fix the problem email me.

Thanks
fats-prod

Status
Not open for further replies.