Sign in with
Your question

Question about xms2 ram and normal ram

Last response: in Systems
January 5, 2010 6:53:15 AM

hi all, just a quick question!

I had 1 GB ram before @ 533mhz. they were 2 sticks of 512mb each by samsung, normal ram.

Now....i am upgrading to

I have 1GB ram @ 800Mhz. Corsair XMS2 , 1 stick of 1gb. Its gaming memory.

Will i have a performance increase? if so then how much?

Also i have a 4830 Ati Radeon 512Mb, shall i upgrade to a gtx 260 896mb paying 50pounds more...or trade my p4 630 3.0ghz prescott for a core 2 quad 4mb q8400 2.6ghz?

Thanks all, since my old system core i5 got stolen recently :fou:  :pt1cable:  , i need help to power up this rig,em extremely low on budget though!
January 5, 2010 7:54:51 AM

Instead of upgrading from 2 X 512MB to 1 X 1GB, why not add additional ram? You normally get better bang for the buck when you are on the low-end of system ram, as you are. It's quit possible that you will even reduce your speed with just 1 stick because you will be reducing the number of active memory channels from 2 to 1.

Nobody's going to be able to tell you exactly how much of a speed-up you will get by switching out this ram until you provide additional information, and even then it's a crap shoot. The reason is that your system may be cpu-limited, gpu-limited, or memory-limited. If it's the first two, then it wont matter how much you upgrade your system ram, you wont see much of a gain.

If you want to know where your computer is speed-bound, just open up Task Manager and look at the Performance tab while you are gaming. Are you using all your memory? Is your cpu pegged? If your cpu is pegged then fixing any other part of your system will not help.

If you want to know the theoretical speed gain, you would have to supply the timings on both your old and new memory, and the board make/model. I don't think anybody is going to help you with these calculations, however, because as I said above, it doesn't sound like a viable option.

When choosing whether to upgrade either the cpu or the gpu, the gpu usually has more of an impact on gaming performance, but in your case I don't think your gpu choice is much of an upgrade. I would also recommend running with a minimum of 2GB ram before upgrading the cpu. Quantity is more important than quality at this point, but Task Manager will tell you that for sure.

If I were you I would shelve the gpu/cpu upgrade for now, double your system ram, save up more scratch, revisit this decision in 6 months when you have more options, and get your i5 replaced. Just my 2 cents.
a c 84 B Homebuilt system
January 5, 2010 2:01:41 PM

thelivingflesh said:
hi all, just a quick question!

I had 1 GB ram before @ 533mhz. they were 2 sticks of 512mb each by samsung, normal ram.

Now....i am upgrading to

I have 1GB ram @ 800Mhz. Corsair XMS2 , 1 stick of 1gb. Its gaming memory.

Will i have a performance increase? if so then how much?

Also i have a 4830 Ati Radeon 512Mb, shall i upgrade to a gtx 260 896mb paying 50pounds more...or trade my p4 630 3.0ghz prescott for a core 2 quad 4mb q8400 2.6ghz?

Thanks all, since my old system core i5 got stolen recently :fou:  :pt1cable:  , i need help to power up this rig,em extremely low on budget though!

You will see no difference in performance due to ram speed. "gaming memory" is just a marketing ploy. XMS ram is the same as basic ram with better heat sinks(which are not needed).
Additional ram will be more helpful. 2gb is a minimum, 4gb is better.

For gaming, you will get better FPS from a video card upgrade than a cpu upgrade.
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
January 5, 2010 6:54:01 PM

The 4830 is ALREADY a good card. the single core P4 is a TERRIBLE cpu in comparison. To go up high enough to make it worth it on the video card would be a 5770 or 5850 level, and that is simply insane with a CPU that will be stopping a x1950 Pro's ability in it's tracks. (in other words what you have right now is far above that already)

If you've already bought this 1gig stick, just toss it in as well for now, and now you've got 2 gigs of RAM.

Do the CPU like you said and now you have a good CPU and enough RAM and a good graphics card. Although really you could just get one of the higher dual cores instead. Say at about $100 or a bit higher.
January 5, 2010 9:38:20 PM

How about a crossfire motherboard (ddr3 supported) and an additional 4830 in my budget, and a 600Watt PSU.

but if i do that, i will be stuck with the same cpu i.e P4.

OR a gtx 260 and a core 2 duo 3mb 2.4ghz?

OR a normal motherboard with quad core 6mb 2.6ghz? not much you can do in 200pounds...... also my casing is fallinf in bits. thanks god a got a 23" full hd screen......
January 5, 2010 10:01:07 PM

I would pour my money into a quad core and ram you'r video card is already good and besides they are coming out with next gen cards soon anyway so why not wait. A lot of people underestimate the power of a quad core with good ram. By the time you feel like pouring a lot of money into a system next gen cards and octocores will be cheap enough to swing.
a b B Homebuilt system
January 5, 2010 10:09:55 PM

I'm telling you compared to doing ANYTHING ELSE spending MORE on graphics is a GROSS waste of time and money. Do SOMETHING with the CPU, and you STILL have a full 2 gigs of RAM.

Now if you want to do something like return that one gig and buy 4 gigs of DDR3 1333, that might help for the future, but there's no telling when DDR4 might come out. So if your mobo supports a quad better off staying there.
January 5, 2010 10:32:24 PM

Ok guys, i am not buying a graphic card!

Instead saving for a core 2 extreme or quad core.

For the time being can i overclock my processor from 3.0 to 3.6 or .8 using one of these?

These coolers are my disposal!

http://www.asus.com/Product.aspx?P_ID=PqBBIBWzHbtfMroY&...

and this one.

http://www.coolermaster.com/product.php?category_id=7&p...

they cost 30pounds.....so i could use one of them, so gain some performance......what are your thoughts about it?
!