fallingdog

Distinguished
May 13, 2009
this system will be used for gaming, movies, and 3d models

I have not made a new system in 8 or 9 years so I'm out of date.

right now I have a Acer Aspire ASE380-UD440A with a MSI NX8500GT nvidia card in it

using the 320GB sata drive and the DVD drive out of it. . .

(thought about using the case but don't know if it will work because it looks like acer has special cables going up to the power button, usb ports, mic. and line out jacks, and the media readers. also thought about making a SLI system using the nvidia card with a new nvidia card to save money but I don't know if this is a good idea or not. do SLI systems have to have the same cards or can you run any two nvidia SLI compatible cards? and after I get an ok SLI mobo and a new card would I be saving enough to make it worth it?)

this is what I came up with based on "Recommended Builds by Usage"

CPU: Intel Core i5 750 Lynnfield 2.66GHz LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core Processor Model BX80605I5750 - Retail - $194.99

MOBO: ASRock P55M Pro LGA 1156 Intel P55 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail - $109.99

RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop
Memory Model F3-10666CL7D-4GBRH - Retail
X2 for 8GB of ram (for the 3d modeling) - $199.98

HSF: COOLER MASTER Intel Core i5 & Intel Core i7 compatible RR-B10-212P-GP 120mm "heatpipe direct contact" Long life sleeve CPU ... - Retail - $28.83

PSU: Antec earthwatts EA500 500W Continuous Power ATX12V v2.0 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC "Compatible ... - Retail - $74.99

GPU: HIS H577FN1GD Radeon HD 5770 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card - Retail - $164.99

Case: Antec VSK-2000 Black ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail - $34.99

Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound - OEM - $6.99

shipping $117.82

total cost $933.57

thanks

dpaul8

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
That is a really nice build, and you will really noticed the increased speed compared to your old Acer system. Here are a couple of suggestions for you to consider.

Why is your shipping so high?

If your budget is really tight, you should consider going with only 4GB of RAM and using the savings to upgrade your motherboard and case. I would recommend an ATX sized motherboard with USB 3.0 capability such as this Gigabyte:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128412

The Antec 300 Illusion case has excellent cooling, and is worth the extra cost.

The Antec PSU you chose is very good, but check around for deals.

Going with the 5770 graphics card is a good decision.

I suspect your old hard drive and optical drive use IDE cables, which limit air flow and are a PITA. You should consider getting a SATA 500 GB Samsung F3 drive, Seagate 7200.12 drive, or a Western Digital Black Caviar drive. The Samsung and Seagate drives are slightly faster than the WD drive, but since your budget is tight just look for the best deal on any of them.

Also, a SATA CD / DVD drive is only about $35 (any namebrand is fine), and is worth getting.

Good build. I would leave the 8 GB in there, as you'll need it for modeling.

Some cost cuts. I didn't look for any combos, but they might be there. I'm assuming you're in the US and using Newegg...

There's an HIS HD 5770 that's a few bucks cheaper with free shipping.

There's a great deal on the OCZ StealthXStream 700W on Newegg (yes, I know that's way more power than you'll need), but right now there's a $30 rebate on it, making it $50 total.

The only problem with using the old stuff is that there is only 1 IDE port on the board. So you can only use one or the other. I'd recommend getting a new HDD, but in case that's out of budget, I've suggested both below.

I would not go with a WD Caviar Black drive. The Samsung F3 and Seagate 7200.12 are a LOT faster, quieter, cooler and more importantly cheaper at only $55.

There's a Samsung SATA DVD Burner (OEM model) for $27 with free shipping on Newegg.

I agree with dpaul on the Antec 300 Illusion, but right now, there's a $20 rebate on the HAF 922, making it only $3 more expensive after standard shipping. At that price, the HAF is a steal.

fallingdog

Distinguished
May 13, 2009
Thanks for the help dpaul8 and MadAdmiral.

Shipping is so high because I live in Alaska (no free shipping).

Yes I'm shopping on newegg. I did look for combos but did not see any.

The hard drive out of the acer is a SATA so I think it will work fine on the ASrock P55M Pro LGA 1156. The optical drive is an IDE so I think it will work ok to; however, I will be looking to upgrade both of drives as soon as my budget allows. I'm not willing to go with less then 8GB of ram.

Looked at the nicer cases that where suggested but I'm already $40 over budget so I don't see how I can get it without cutting some other place same for the ATX mobo suggested by dpaul8. Thanks for the suggestion on the PSU.

Thanks all.