Intel support for USB 3.0 and SATA 6 GB

brianz

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2009
I posted this to the Motherboard forum recently but got no replies, so maybe it's more of a CPU question, since it deals with Intel chipset support?

I'm about to start a new x58 PC build, probably with an i7 930. I'm considering a motherboard with SATA 6 GB and USB 3.0, and I'm eyeing the new Crucial RealSSD C300 SATA 6.0 GB SSD. However, I think I read somewhere that the performance throughput - especially on the SATA - is just way below potential, and will continue to be that way, until Intel provides native support of those formats in their chipset. I guess until Intel provides support, the mobos will use third party controllers that aren't as efficient.

So, aside from the dearth of USB 3.0 and SATA 6 products right now, there's also the actual performance issue.

Is this correct? Can somebody please explain it more accurately and clearly than I've tried to do?

Thanks,
Brian

mister g

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
What I want to explain now is that there are no X58 mobos on the market with native USB 3 and SATA 6 support right now. SSDs are approaching the maximum thoroughput of the SATA 3 but only one or two have actually surpassed it. Anway you can get USB 3 through a USB 3 card added through an expansion slot. As for SATA you will have to wait, AMD's newest 890x has native SATA 6 support but not USB 3, so they are in fact coming.