Sign in with
Your question

Few Questions

Last response: in Overclocking
August 1, 2012 2:17:01 AM

Hey,

MB: Gigabyte-890GPA-UD3H v2.1
Memory: GSKILL 8GB DDR3 Stick RAM 1333mhz
Processor: Black Edition 965 phenom x4 with a little push on overclock on stock cooler, stable.
PSU: Corsair GS800

1. Just a few questions, what's my setup like? I'm looking to buy an SSD shortly and getting rid of my stock cooler.
2. How much could I overclock my ASUS HD 7850 gfx card? Here are the default specs of it:

Quote:

Summary

Product Description ASUS HD7850-DC2-2GD5 - graphics card - Radeon HD 7850 - 2 GB
Device Type Graphics card
Bus Type PCI Express 3.0 x16
Graphics Engine AMD Radeon HD 7850
Memory 2 GB - GDDR5
Core Clock 870 MHz
Effective Memory Clock 4.84 GHz
RAMDAC 400 MHz
Memory Interface 256-bit
Max Resolution 2560 x 1600
Max Resolution Details DVI: 2560 x 1600 / VGA: 2048 x 1536
Interfaces DVI-I (dual link) , HDMI , 2 x Mini DisplayPort
API Supported DirectX 11
Dimensions (WxDxH) 4.3 cm x 25.9 cm x 11.4 cm
Microsoft Certification Compatible with Windows 7

3. Is it worth buying a better processor/motherboard for an even further of an upgrade? I'm looking to become a hard core gamer and would love to play GTA smoothly in max settings. The asus isn't THAT smooth. I thought it would be for the specs it has, but evidently not. I would just like to be pointed in the right direction what's good and what isn't and what needs to improve.

Thanks

More about : questions

a b K Overclocking
August 1, 2012 2:36:36 AM

1) Looks good. Aftermarket cooling will allow you to add voltage and hopefully faster speeds. SSD will make your computer feel like a different machine. If you get one big enough to hold your games and your OS, your load times will drop a lot.

2) It varies from card to card. I OC a 6850 ~100Mhz on stock voltage. (Wasn't my computer. Wanted to play it safe) I highly recommend MSI Afterburner.

3)I've only played with AMD stuff thus far so I can't comment from experience. A cooler upgrade, then a higher CPU OC + GPU OC will let you know if you can reach your goal with your current equipment. You can get decent cooling for ~$30, so it's a small investment to get an idea of your current rig's capabilities. I'm running a 212+. It's not the best, but it's an effective cooler and a great value. (if you can fit it in your case, if not I recommend a TX3)
August 1, 2012 2:51:42 AM

Z1NONLY said:
1) Looks good. Aftermarket cooling will allow you to add voltage and hopefully faster speeds. SSD will make your computer feel like a different machine. If you get one big enough to hold your games and your OS, your load times will drop a lot.

2) It varies from card to card. I OC a 6850 ~100Mhz on stock voltage. (Wasn't my computer. Wanted to play it safe) I highly recommend MSI Afterburner.

3)I've only played with AMD stuff thus far so I can't comment from experience. A cooler upgrade, then a higher CPU OC + GPU OC will let you know if you can reach your goal with your current equipment. You can get decent cooling for ~$30, so it's a small investment to get an idea of your current rig's capabilities. I'm running a 212+. It's not the best, but it's an effective cooler and a great value. (if you can fit it in your case, if not I recommend a TX3)

Thanks for your reply man. Appreciated. I have MSI Afterburner. I've been using the ASUS GPU Tweak right now, but kept it at default speeds and looking advice on what to do next. Any ideas on what to move the stock settings too for now?

Quote:

GPU Clock: 870
GPU Voltage(mV): 1138
Memory Clock(MHz): 4840
Fan Speed: Auto

I thought this card would run GTA very, very smoothly, but seems to just be smooth in certain area, then not. Any ideas? Again, thanks for your reply.
a b K Overclocking
August 1, 2012 3:04:09 AM

I have no experience with the game but a common fix is to enable V-sync.

I would try +100 on stock voltage and then use something like kombustor to stress test the OC. Watch the temps, (below ~80-ish) and watch for artifacts. (Anything in the test screen that isn't supposed to be there.)

!