Overclock limitation

thedeathclox

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2012
Hey, I recently built myself a new gaming rig using the slightly aged Core 2 Duo on Socket T. (775). Please do not go off telling me about how it was stupid of me to even consider buying a 775 cpu when the Nahalem and Sandy Bridge cores are available; this thing runs like a champ on all of the games I play. :p

Anyways, my problem is that im using an E6750; my multiplier is locked so I'm stuck with overclocking my FSB. The original CPU speed is 2.67GHz and is currently operating at 3.28GHz. The FSB, as we all know, is quad-pumped, so I've brought the FSB from 333mhz up to 410MHz. My RAM is operating at speeds of 821MHz from 667. (One of my modules is 667, not 800 like the other 3, and no, removing the module has NOT helped me gain headroom.)

Also, cooling is not a problem. The Ambient temp of the case is around 24C, the GPU is running at MAX load temps of 43C, or 28C Idle, the CPU is cooled by a Coolermaster Hyper 212 Plus with a push-pull configuration and a 120mm fan right behind the "pull" fan sucking the air out of the case. The case itself is an Antec Nine Hundred; all of my components are chilled nicely. Also, my RAM are all outfitted with Aluminum Heatspreaders to keep the temps to a minimum.

My issue is that at 425MHz FSB (3.40GHz CPU), occasionally the system becomes slightly and i mean SLIGHTLY unstable. It might be slightly.. i dunno.. it jumps a little here and there under full load, so I keep it at 3.20GHz where it runs smooth as hot butter. When I attempt to hit 3.60GHz, I run into a problem where windows claims a file is corrupted and windows is unable to boot. When i clock down to 3.40 or so, the system will boot and run intense applications fine.

Is there simply no way of bypassing this FSB speed without instability?

thedeathclox

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2012
Try 1-3 higher..or maybe more.. Increase IMC voltage and vcore..maybe a little vccsa too..(I'm not THAT familiar with 775..but I've read things)Somethings there are "fsb holes" try changing the multi, too i.e. lowering multi and increasing fsb.Hope you're on a gigabyte ep45

Actually, I'm having a hard time finding ram ratio's on my mobo. My current motherboard is an Asus P5Q-SE motherboard with the P45 chipset. Im unable to reduce the multiplier from 8x because its not an Intel Extreme CPU. Voltage is on Auto.. shouldnt the system change the voltages as it is needed?

thedeathclox

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2012
Manual voltage settings would be better.You have a so-so board..It has OC features but is weak in the power phases.

I think I know why I dont have the FSB-ram ratio; its not displayed as a ratio, rather its there in the form of selecting ram colockspeeds from a drop-down menu based on what my current FSB setting is. And the board is doing well so far i think. Im running smooth at 3.40, I think I may have just been paranoid. Thats a good 740MHz or so overclock, but Im not terribly experienced with overclocking on newer boards. I'm just curious to see if I can push further than 3.40.