Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Ultra X4 PSU's

Last response: in Components
March 11, 2010 8:38:25 PM

I have been looking through the ultra X4's and they seem to have everything you would need, good warr., modular, 80, and good price.
I was told the 1200 watt is to much power and unnecessary but then I have been told it was perfect and I will have enough power for
what ever I want to do, so I wanted to know what everyone thought about it?
Down the road I plan to run atleast three cards, or maybe 2 5970's, but thats what I plan on running, so if you think I should go with 1050, or 850, let me know.
I can always go ahead and get the 1600 lol, I think thats a tad bit overkill!
or if you have any other recommendations for PSU's in that price range let me know(200-250).
Like I said I mainly loved the design, the modular, the warranty, energy efficiant 80 silver or bronze depending), and also good design,
I found a few others like it but this is the one I liked the most.

More about : ultra psu

a c 243 ) Power supply
March 11, 2010 9:12:55 PM

brett1042002 said:
Corsair PSU 1000W, Modular, Dual Rail.

Fixed
Related resources
March 12, 2010 2:25:39 AM

delluser1 said:
Fixed

My bad. thanks for the correction.

Best solution

a c 248 ) Power supply
March 12, 2010 2:40:10 AM

The answer to your original question about the Ultra power supply is Ultra started out with a very bad reputation for low quality power supplies of questionable performance and value. Their overall track record has been lackluster. Ultra's only claim to fame is they introduced the very first modular power supplies. I don't think any of the veteran posters at this forum have ever recommended an Ultra psu.

Corsair and Seasonic are two of the brands that have a reputation for high quality power supplies that consistently earn high marks in technical reviews. They are reliable, stable, and come with a 5 year warranty. Some of the newer models come with a 7 year warranty. Lately we've been seeing a few other brands offering some high quality units.
March 12, 2010 3:33:36 AM

JohnnyLucky said:
The answer to your original question about the Ultra power supply is Ultra started out with a very bad reputation for low quality power supplies of questionable performance and value. Their overall track record has been lackluster. Ultra's only claim to fame is they introduced the very first modular power supplies. I don't think any of the veteran posters at this forum have ever recommended an Ultra psu.

Corsair and Seasonic are two of the brands that have a reputation for high quality power supplies that consistently earn high marks in technical reviews. They are reliable, stable, and come with a 5 year warranty. Some of the newer models come with a 7 year warranty. Lately we've been seeing a few other brands offering some high quality units.

Thats about what wanted to know, I knew the lists on the sites were of some not all products.
I can live with a 5 year warranty, thats about how long I expect it to run good.
I haven't been in the game for long to know what products have Face Value or ones that are gimmicks.
But I watched some videos on Ultra and read some good reviews of people's X3's going out and ultra giving them new X4s.
Anyways, I just wanted to make sure I have enough power for CFX. The modular design is way sweet and I wouldn't get
one that isn't, I do like asthetic parts but I just don't want to be mess'n around with wires that don't need to be there, esp.
for cable management and air flow. Overall good postn and I know now if I need to trim the skin
I can lower the wattage down to the 850, I can always get a dedicated PSU later!!
March 12, 2010 4:13:06 AM

Yeah that Corsair aint to bad, its actually about the same
if not better(probably better), its cool how these use half and half
taking advantage of the modular design. They are both rock solid so now it
just depends on where I buy if I go to newegg it will be for sure the corsair(they dont have the ultra), and tiger has both so whos ever is cheaper at the time I guess!
I read several reviews on the Corsair and it said he was running 2xGTX 295, with 9800 for PsyX, and all sorts of graphic card setups and liquided cooled, so if it can run all that then, I shouldn't have a problem at all!
March 22, 2010 12:13:57 AM

Best answer selected by Salt-City_Slasher.
September 16, 2010 3:06:16 PM

Ultra had a lifetime warrantee on my 3 yr old 400 that went out and Ultra replaced it with a 500 x4. What was strange was the symptoms I encountered attributed to the old power supply. My motherboard cmos bios was losing it's settings (reverting back to time date of bios) as though the battery was dead. A new battery didn't fix it but a new power supply did. I guess I don't know what I thought I knew about computers. Hopefully the Ultra's reputation is redeaming itself the new power supply comes in a box the size of a refrigerator ( I exaggerate) with every bell and whistle concievable. And with a lifetime warrantee I assume that still continues, this one won't be my last, ofcourse unless nuclear power supplies come out and entice me to upgrade.
!