Sign in with
Your question

Need case and mobo recommendations

Last response: in Systems
January 5, 2010 1:33:27 PM

I have a need for another computer in the family; it would be used for general purpose computing. I’m exploring the idea of using this as an opportunity to upgrade our gaming machine at the same time, i.e., I’d use the guts of the gaming machine for the new computer and upgrade the gaming machine to an i5 system.

The new computer would therefore be built around the following:
- Intel Q6600 with Xigmatek HDT-S1283 cooler
- Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3R LGA mobo with 4GB DDR-800 RAM
- WD Caviar SE16 WD6400AAKS 640GB drive

For the gaming machine upgrade, I’m looking at the i5-750. I can put together most of the builds myself but I do need recommendations on two fronts:

1. A good P55 mobo (ATX or mATX) for use with one GPU (no plans to Crossfire/SLI). The GIGABYTE GA-P55A-UD3 LGA 1156 Intel P55 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard seems to fit the bill, and has two USB 3.0 ports, but I’m open to suggestions.

2. A small ATX case for the new machine. I like Antec cases but my wife specifically requested something small if possible. Ideally it would be wide enough for the Xigmatek HDT-S1283 cooler but I’d be willing to go back to the stock cooler if it means a significant size reduction.
a b 4 Gaming
January 5, 2010 1:44:18 PM

That's a good motherboard. The next step up would be the UD4P for $185, which might be a bit much, and only gives you some different PCI slots and more backside ports.

I would recommend the Antec 200 or 300. Both are under $60, with the 300 being a little larger. Neither has any LEDs.
m
l
January 5, 2010 3:27:25 PM

Thanks for the responses. I'll stick with this mobo then.

I'm not sure my wife will appreciate the Antec Skeleton case :p 

The Lian case will certainly fit my cooler.
m
l
!