Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

I5 2500k getting too hot

Last response: in Overclocking
Share
August 1, 2012 8:09:58 AM

Case - Corsair Carbide 500R
PSU - XFX Core Edition-850
MoBo - ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3
CPU - Intel Core i7-2500K
TIM - Arctic Silver 5
Cooler - CM Hyper 212+
RAM - (2 x 4GB) Corsair Vengeance
GFX - Asus GTX 560 900Mhz
HD - Spinpoint F3 1TB

Ok, so that's basically my rig. Built it for a week, and I recently OC'd my 2500k to 4.2Ghz and I'm getting idle temps around 36-40C and temps over 85C under 100% load when using Prime95. I've been seeing most people getting idle temps around 27-30 and load temps under 65C with the 2500k with higher OCs. I also manually configure the voltage, and the Vcore is 1.260; I tried to lower the voltage to get a lower temp. but impossible. Just even -0.005 would cause core 1 to fail in Prime95. I mean, I don't know why my CPU required such a high voltage like that. I'm searching around Google and saw someone get 4.2Ghz at 1.200-1.240. What do you guys think could be the problem? How can I lower my temp. a bit more?

More about : 2500k hot

August 1, 2012 1:30:59 PM

i5 2500k not the i7 2600k ? and idk what kinda vcore your talking about because i us 1.34vcore on my i5 2500k oc to 4.8ghz stable, and it looks like your using offset mode if i where you just fallow this guide http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/274821-29-sandy-bridg... , love that guide also if your temps are still high its prob that you or some one else didn't mount the Cm hyper 212 correctly also make sure if you un mount it clean the old thermal paste and add new one just look at this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3gx6c62D7I . And my bad for my spelling i'm Spanish .
August 1, 2012 2:57:14 PM

Sorry for my typo, the vcore should be 1 not 2. I will look into those link you give. Btw, I've been using the Manual Mode the whole time, that's why I was able to test with Prime95 to see which Vcore was stable for my computer.
Related resources
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
August 2, 2012 4:14:47 AM

What's your ambient temps? I only stress test at night when it's cooler.

Try remounting the cooler. I'm overclocked to 4.5 with v core at 1.290 and after one hour of Prime95 my CPU hits a max of 61C. This is with push pull and an ambient temp of around 57 degrees F.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
August 2, 2012 4:27:36 AM

your cooler is mounted badly. also do not expect too low of temps. the cooler you have is an entry level cooler and will give you entry level temps. 65*c at the clock is not unreasonable.
August 2, 2012 2:37:54 PM

cbrunnem said:
your cooler is mounted badly. also do not expect too low of temps. the cooler you have is an entry level cooler and will give you entry level temps. 65*c at the clock is not unreasonable.

Easy there! First of all, I mounted my cooler just like in these pictures: http://www.coolermaster.com/product.php?product_id=6603
(Quick to judge, aren't ya)
Second, I never expected my temp. to be low since I know the risk of OC'd. And I also know my cooler is not one of the best like liquid cooler.
And third, I don't think you read very clearly, my PC is never at 65c under load when Prime95, but at 80c and 90c as of today. Talk about 65c, ha...I would be glad like hell if it's at 70-75c.

August 2, 2012 3:05:34 PM

dragonsamus said:
What's your ambient temps? I only stress test at night when it's cooler.

Try remounting the cooler. I'm overclocked to 4.5 with v core at 1.290 and after one hour of Prime95 my CPU hits a max of 61C. This is with push pull and an ambient temp of around 57 degrees F.

Well, maybe I will try to take the cooler out and re-apply thermal again. Last time, I'm afraid I'm gonna put too much thermal on it, so I ended up put thermal paste smaller than expected. If by ambient temps, you mean room temps then I don't know. The A/C that I put for the whole house is 79F, but that's just enough for member in the house. I have to turn on a fan that on top ceiling. My body allergy to hot, so if something hot happen in room I will first to know, while everyone will think my room is just fine. But 57F is pretty cold. My PC normal temp now is about 36-40F, when play game, it's only go up 1F or maybe 2F and that's all. The game is Aion.
Btw, I'm thinking of getting the H80 liquid cooling. Would ya recommend it?
August 2, 2012 3:19:26 PM

Oh and guys, please don't give me the link about overclocking guide and tell me to follow it, cuz I'm happy with 4.2Ghz and it stables enough to do anything I'm throwing at it. And yes, I did Prime95 on it once overnight for 9 hours, and the next morning the Prime95 still running fine
I'm just here to ask about how to lower my temps down when under 100% load. That's all!
To anyone who give me suggestions, I'm truly appreciated. I wrote it down and will do as soon as I have time.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
August 2, 2012 8:38:41 PM

andynguyen12 said:
Easy there! First of all, I mounted my cooler just like in these pictures: http://www.coolermaster.com/product.php?product_id=6603
(Quick to judge, aren't ya)
Second, I never expected my temp. to be low since I know the risk of OC'd. And I also know my cooler is not one of the best like liquid cooler.
And third, I don't think you read very clearly, my PC is never at 65c under load when Prime95, but at 80c and 90c as of today. Talk about 65c, ha...I would be glad like hell if it's at 70-75c.


not quick to judge at all. your temps should be around 70*c at that clock not in the 80's thus unless your fans in you case are not working or you have just 2 fans the problem is your heatsink.
August 3, 2012 12:35:58 AM

cbrunnem said:
not quick to judge at all. your temps should be around 70*c at that clock not in the 80's thus unless your fans in you case are not working or you have just 2 fans the problem is your heatsink.

Well, so is it a bad heat sink then? Cuz all fans are running, and there are 6 120mm and 1 200mm fans already in there. So what do you suggest me to do then...get a new one, re-apply thermal, get a liquid cooler, etc...which is it?
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
August 3, 2012 12:43:28 AM

andynguyen12 said:
Well, so is it a bad heat sink then? Cuz all fans are running, and there are 6 120mm and 1 200mm fans already in there. So what do you suggest me to do then...get a new one, re-apply thermal, get a liquid cooler, etc...which is it?


reapply thermal paste and remount making sure you put a decent amount of pressure on the heatsink through the mounting bracket.
August 3, 2012 12:47:59 AM

cbrunnem said:
reapply thermal paste and remount making sure you put a decent amount of pressure on the heatsink through the mounting bracket.

Thanks, and just to make sure if not the heatsink fault right? Cuz I still have warranty and can still replace it.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
August 3, 2012 12:59:53 AM

andynguyen12 said:
Thanks, and just to make sure if not the heatsink fault right? Cuz I still have warranty and can still replace it.


yeah but ive never heard of a "bad" heatsink
August 3, 2012 1:05:16 AM

Well, I'm off to do heatsink then. Probably the last best thing to do. Since lower the Vcore to anything lower than 1.260v is not an option anymore.
August 3, 2012 5:16:39 AM

Would buy you a cup of coffee if we were close. Never reach 75C, not once.
Thank you so much. Will continue testing to see if any wrong coming up but didn't get any BSODs since Vcore: 1.260v.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
August 3, 2012 8:49:48 PM

andynguyen12 said:
Would buy you a cup of coffee if we were close. Never reach 75C, not once.
Thank you so much. Will continue testing to see if any wrong coming up but didn't get any BSODs since Vcore: 1.260v.


so reseating the heatsink solved the problem?
!