What do I need for wireless

Hi, I just bought a wireless router (D-Link DIR-655) to replace my wired one, no problems with installation, and it's working with my PSP and the my father's MAC. But not with my PC on Windows 7. I can't see any wireless network in my "Network and Sharing Center", even if there are at least 6-7 besides mine... My motherboard is a P5Q-Pro, do I need an extra card (wireless adapter) or is it supposed to be built-in (this is my first wireless network experience evar :sweat:) ?

Thanks !
6 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about what wireless
  1. you need a wireless NIC in your PC, so go buy one
  2. Before you buy the NIC you need to decide what standard of wireless protocol is required.

    If your D-Link is 802.11b/g/n compatible then it is worth buying an 802.11n NIC. If it is only 802.11b/g and you don't anticipate buying a new router then you can buy a cheaper 802.11b/g NIC running at 54mps rather than the n-version at 300.

    An alternative to installing a network card is to buy a USB wireless adaptor.
  3. • IEEE 802.11n
    • IEEE 802.11g
    • IEEE 802.3
    • IEEE 802.3u

    In the router's specs, so one of those would be fine ?
  4. Sorry for double post but It wouldn't let me edit for some reason.

    I just wanted to add that there are at max 2 meters separating my computer from the router (a normal wall within those 2 meters though).
  5. Best answer
    Given the short distance a LAN would be the best option but given the wall a wireless connection is really th eonly option if you don't want to drill holes etc.

    So, with a 802.11n spec you should go for a similar 11n on the computer. A USB wireless adaptor is perhaps the easiest option as you simply plug it in and you could easily move it to another computer if that was not 11n spec.
  6. Best answer selected by Shabla.
Ask a new question

Read More

Configuration Wireless Router Wireless Network Wireless Networking