Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Newbie looking for a motherboard and info

Last response: in Motherboards
Share
July 30, 2010 1:49:17 AM

I don't know much about motherboards or the current state of the art, but I am looking for suggestions for a motherboard that would accept an Intel Core i7-980X Extreme Edition processor, would fit into a large atx case, and runs under $500. I am trying to build a top-of-the-line system that will last for many years, so suggestions above $500 would be appreciated as well.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
July 30, 2010 4:11:15 AM

I'm sure you'll get a bunch of opinions here but you probably want to start looking at the X58 series of motherboards. I've personally had great luck and success with Gigabyte boards but everyone has their favorites. Gigabyte, Asus, MSI, EVGA are probably some of the better boards out there. I've had personal experience with all but EVGA but wouldn't hesitate to use them. As you're willing to pony up $$ wise I'd start looking at features you want and things like that. You'll be able to overclock all of them if you like. If you have no interest in overclocking at all and just want reliable then go Intel. I have Intel boards in stock client computers that are 10 years old and still running. Just matters if you want a screamer or a rock solid box. Both have their places.
m
0
l
a b V Motherboard
July 30, 2010 4:46:56 AM

The Asus Rampage III Extreme is a nice board.
m
0
l
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
July 30, 2010 8:14:32 AM

Quote:
I'm sure you'll get a bunch of opinions here but you probably want to start looking at the X58 series of motherboards.
Great place to start, since the X58 chipset is the only chipset available to support this processor. ;-)
m
0
l

Best solution

July 30, 2010 4:49:27 PM

As stated u need a x58 mobo

I would NOT get a board that didnt have usb 3.0 or newer sata spec's

Tom's did a good article on 3 very good x58 boards that would be good for several years to come .
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/rampage-iii-extreme...

here is a few for you to look at ( course is the one's in Tom's article )

ASUS Rampage III Extreme LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
ROG, Support SLI/CrossFireX, SATA 6 Gb/s+ USB 3.0 $379.99

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD7 LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
SATA 3.0, USB 3.0, 3x USB power $339.99 ( UD9 lists for $699.99 )

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

MSI Big Bang-XPower LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
$299.99
($279.99 after $20.00 Mail-In Rebate

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...


Myself , I would pic the rampage III extreme .. Reasons are many . But , mainly I have only had asus boards for many years and have had very good luck with them.
Tom's rated the RIII overall . read the article

GL with your build , i know is alot of fun getting the new stuff and putting it all together . then when u hit the switch and it all comes to life . is a GREAT feeling :) 
Share
July 30, 2010 6:59:57 PM

Thanks a lot for the suggestions! Very helpful information here.

(Sorry if any of this is uninformed - please enlighten me. I am coming from a computer that was top-of-the-line 8 or so years ago, so I haven't kept up with some changes.)

I'm not going to overclock my processor since I am not familiar with the process and everything has to last. Stability is important, but so is having a truckload of ports in the back/front (primarily usb, my current system has 8 usb ports built in) since I use a ton of peripherals, in addition to installing more devices using the available PCI slots. I think USB 3.0 is a must have, because it will become the standard before long.

@therernoexperts: when you say intel board, do the boards listed in mchum's post count as intel boards? or do you mean manufactured BY intel?
m
0
l
July 30, 2010 8:43:42 PM

Yes , I do believe ThereRnoExperts was referring to boards made BY Intel ( Quote " If you have no interest in overclocking at all and just want reliable then go Intel. ")

All the boards listed are for intel 1366 cpu's , such as your 980x .

Doing a mild OC would not hurt the longevity of your build . Is when you get into the extreme OC stuff that creates alot of heat that may damage things , thereby decreasing life of the system .. The 980x is a very OC cpu . is many sites that have tested that cpu ..
Is alot of good things said about it ..

The Asus RIII has :
USB 1.1/2.0: 7 x USB 2.0/1.1 ports (1 port also for ROG Connect)
USB 3.0: 2 x USB 3.0
Onboard USB 1 x USB 2.0: connector supports additional 2 USB 2.0 ports

Gigabyte board has:
USB 1.1/2.0: 4 x USB 2.0
USB 3.0: 2 x USB 3.0
Onboard USB 4 x USB 2.0

MSI board :
USB 1.1/2.0: 5 x USB 2.0
USB 3.0: 2 x USB 3.0
Onboard USB 4 x USB 2.0

Onboard means is a usb connector on the mobo to connect a 2 or 4 usb add-in card .

hope this was helpful for ya .
m
0
l
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
July 31, 2010 8:55:35 PM

Redoth said:
Thanks a lot for the suggestions! Very helpful information here.

(Sorry if any of this is uninformed - please enlighten me. I am coming from a computer that was top-of-the-line 8 or so years ago, so I haven't kept up with some changes.)

I'm not going to overclock my processor since I am not familiar with the process and everything has to last. Stability is important, but so is having a truckload of ports in the back/front (primarily usb, my current system has 8 usb ports built in) since I use a ton of peripherals, in addition to installing more devices using the available PCI slots. I think USB 3.0 is a must have, because it will become the standard before long.

@therernoexperts: when you say intel board, do the boards listed in mchum's post count as intel boards? or do you mean manufactured BY intel?

Yes, was referring to actual Intel branded boards. Obviously, as they're making the chip the motherboards they make are going to work well with them. Pretty much all the small-medium companies that I've either dealt with or purchased from in the past will always use Intel motherboards. In past years (and, I don't know about now) you couldn't overclock an Intel board...and had very little options in the bios to mess with so for us, when building something for a client or a client computer we got 2 things: 1) a board no one could screw up 2) a board that was extremely reliable.

Now, all that being said, I think all the boards mentioned here are going to be reliable and stable. If you aren't planning to overclock at all then I'd probably make a list of the things you really want: USB 3.0, what ports? how many? how many slots? Then pick the board between the brands mentioned above and you'll be fine.
m
0
l
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
July 31, 2010 9:02:39 PM

tcsenter said:
Great place to start, since the X58 chipset is the only chipset available to support this processor. ;-)

Guessing I gave him a good place to start and finish at the same time then :-)))
m
0
l
July 31, 2010 10:38:04 PM

Quote:
Yes, was referring to actual Intel branded boards. Obviously, as they're making the chip the motherboards they make are going to work well with them. Pretty much all the small-medium companies that I've either dealt with or purchased from in the past will always use Intel motherboards. In past years (and, I don't know about now) you couldn't overclock an Intel board...and had very little options in the bios to mess with so for us, when building something for a client or a client computer we got 2 things: 1) a board no one could screw up 2) a board that was extremely reliable.

Now, all that being said, I think all the boards mentioned here are going to be reliable and stable. If you aren't planning to overclock at all then I'd probably make a list of the things you really want: USB 3.0, what ports? how many? how many slots? Then pick the board between the brands mentioned above and you'll be fine.



ThereRnoExperts , along with everyone else
Has given some very good advice .
You shouldnt have any problems making that reliable system your looking to build .
m
0
l
August 8, 2010 3:52:41 AM

Best answer selected by Redoth.
m
0
l
!