Sign in with
Your question

Water Cooling New Rig

Last response: in Overclocking
August 1, 2012 11:42:54 AM

Hey guys! :hello:  Im in the process of configuring a new hardcore gaming and media creation rig. I've basically decided on all the components... except for cooling. I'm going to be using Adobe after effects, illustrator, photoshop, 3ds Max plus lots of other programs (quite possibly all running simultaneously sometimes). After taking this into consideration, I found the HyperX H2O ( http://www.kingston.com/us/memory/hyperx/h2o ). I'm definitely going to do this as my last computer (2007 Macbook) had its RAM severly overheat, essentially destroying it (in turn leaving me paranoid). So basically:
1.What watercooler should I use?
2.how I would end up watercooling this (i7 3770k and HyperX H2O)

So far my planned build looks like this: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/dzgV

PS: If you haven't figured out already, I'm am a complete nub when it comes to custom built PC, as I am just coming over from Apple after my Macbook more or less burned itself alive, so forgive me if I have just made zero sense. I sincerely apologize. Thanks for all the help with this! :) 

More about : water cooling rig

a c 78 K Overclocking
August 1, 2012 1:34:58 PM

Quote:
I found the HyperX H2O

1| ^ unless you have ram thas going to be running at 2.1V which is impossible for the 3rd gen core i's since they have a threshold of 1.5V on the cpu, mem controller, you won't even need to cool the dimms as they now run the coolest among any part inside case, apart from ssd. It also adds restriction to the loop.
2| ^ blocks on any ram cooler are constructed from aluminium and not copper, thas why they are so cheap. Aluminium and copper produce whats known as galvanic corrosion, google it or better yet - read up on the watercooling sticky in my sig.

Quote:
I'm definitely going to do this as my last computer (2007 Macbook) had its RAM severly overheat, essentially destroying it (in turn leaving me paranoid).

3| ^ your ram fried cos it was in a macbook. Its not an atomic productivity machine...

Quote:
PS: If you haven't figured out already, I'm am a complete nub when it comes to custom built PC, as I am just coming over from Apple after my Macbook more or less burned itself alive, so forgive me if I have just made zero sense. I sincerely apologize. Thanks for all the help with this!

4| ^ check out all the links in my sig. Full of useful links to assemble your rig and also the essential watercooling sticky. This is our way of indoctrinating users into watercooling.

my 2 cents! :) 

P.S:
5| the CM trooper is a lil too squashed for having rads mounted internally. Ever given a look at the Shinobi XL in white?

6| if that EVGA is non reference, then finding a full cover block will be difficult -> maybe move onto a universal block.
m
l
August 1, 2012 6:48:17 PM

Awesome! So do you think it's even watercooling at all? I do want to overclock my 3770k to about 4.3-4.5 but is this even realistic without good water cooling? Or could I just use a normal heatsink and still get close to this? Also, I looked at the trooper and I agree, the cooling possibilities probably arent great, so could I go more towards the HAF X or 932?
m
l
Related resources
a c 78 K Overclocking
August 1, 2012 6:50:43 PM

good air cooling starts from the range of Hyper 212 Evo and the price tag can go up and up. The advantage with water cooling...is mentioned in the sticky.

please re-read the prev post, I've detailed alot about the cases. Hint: Shinobi XL
m
l
a c 150 K Overclocking
August 1, 2012 6:53:38 PM

Need a budget:p 
m
l
August 1, 2012 7:01:53 PM

Lutfij said:
good air cooling starts from the range of Hyper 212 Evo and the price tag can go up and up. The advantage with water cooling...is mentioned in the sticky.

please re-read the prev post, I've detailed alot about the cases. Hint: Shinobi XL

Yeah I saw in the sticky :)  Thanks! I looked at the Shinobi, but I really have no idea what I should be looking for and I am kinda unfamiliar with bitfenix. Would this be the best option or are there others?
m
l
August 1, 2012 7:03:21 PM

amuffin said:
Need a budget:p 

For Cooling, around 200-250
m
l
August 1, 2012 7:06:27 PM

As mentioned in the sticky, "real" watercooling seems much better, but is it worth it to custom watercool my rig? Its all a bit daunting :D 
m
l
a c 78 K Overclocking
August 1, 2012 7:06:52 PM

there are a tonne of other cases to help you with watercooling. Mounting the rad internally or externally.

here's what I'd do if I was in your spot.

Read the reviews of all the cases I'll post up.
Re-read the watercooling sticky every now and then and it'll give you an audible click in your head (no puns intended)
There are more links in my sig from detailing how to choose the right PSU and the illustrious pc build guide link.

how much dya want to stuff into that machine and how much will you want to leave aside for watercooling?

I understand you don't see anything flying your way, but you need to help us to help you in turn+ you only skimmed through the sticky mate :??: 

BTW, you basically want to build a workstation machine? Whats the absolute max you can bomb on this rig? max mind you!

Edit: its not daunting. Even setting up an air cooler takes some tinkering time. The only difference is you'll have liquid to pour in your heat dissipator(rad)
m
l
August 1, 2012 7:20:13 PM

OK, thanks sorry its like 9 in the morning here, been up all night trying to work this out haha. I really appreciate the help so its awesome your willing to deal with me :)  I dont really want to cram to much in. Just an SSD and HDD, with the option of adding 1 more in the future. Im willing to do what it takes to make this the best rig possible so if that means leaving a bit more space for cooling, Im down :D . Max I want to spend on this rig is about 2400, all said and done.
m
l
August 1, 2012 7:38:48 PM

Yeah, I want to build a solid workstation computer that wont have trouble running some games, too.
m
l
a c 324 K Overclocking
August 1, 2012 7:47:15 PM

Not sure that you would need watercooling for a 3770k that would be stock or even mildly overclocked. A good air cooler would work for much less. No need to watercool RAM; DDR2/3 both run very cool.

If this is going to be a workstation PC, are you sure you are selecting the right components? True workstations use Xeon processors and ECC RAM, among other components. Workstations also typically are involved with mission-critical computing, so overclocking is never a consideration as system stability is required. You also would be using a different graphics card either for general screen rendering (minimal graphics) or a workstation grade card with dedicated drivers So, when you say workstation, do you really mean a multimedia computer that you use to edit/encode video/photos, etc?

Depending on actual use as well as intended processor clock you might consider one route over another. Don't forget that watercooling still requires great case air flow for the remaining components.
m
l
August 1, 2012 8:44:16 PM

The only reason I was looking at what I am is because in the process of trying to decide what to get, I tried out my friends 3770k and 680 and I loved it. This may not be the best way to decide as I only used it for an afternoon, but it seemed to run after effects well, and render times were much better then my macbook was. I wouldnt say this computer will be used for ridiculous computing, but above average, and as far as I know the 3770k will be able to handle what Im doing, plus give me the option for some gaming (When Im not working, Im probably somewhere in Battlefield 3 :)  )
m
l
a c 324 K Overclocking
August 1, 2012 8:49:39 PM

To be perfectly honest, there isn't anything you are going to run on that machine that would even warrant you overclock it at all. I have an i7 2600 and I've never encountered anything that causes it to be CPU bound. The only reasons people overclock these processors (IB/SB) is for bragging rights and benchmark scores. There are negligible benefits of overclocking them for gaming as a faster/better GPU will net much greater improvements than overclocking an already-beastly CPU. For stock speeds or minimal OC'ing on this, you can easily (and cheaply) do good air cooling unless you want the fun of watercooling, but at those speeds, watercooling isn't doing much other than providing you with fun. (Which is why most of us do it, anyway)
m
l
August 1, 2012 8:55:43 PM

Awesome! I've kinda been hoping I'd configured that computer to do everything I need without OC'ing. My brother is in the process of configuring a computer, so maybe we'll work together to water cool his and I'll get the experience! Thanks for all your help!
m
l
a c 78 K Overclocking
August 1, 2012 9:09:26 PM

rubix_1011 said:
Not sure that you would need watercooling for a 3770k that would be stock or even mildly overclocked. A good air cooler would work for much less. No need to watercool RAM; DDR2/3 both run very cool.

If this is going to be a workstation PC, are you sure you are selecting the right components? True workstations use Xeon processors and ECC RAM, among other components. Workstations also typically are involved with mission-critical computing, so overclocking is never a consideration as system stability is required. You also would be using a different graphics card either for general screen rendering (minimal graphics) or a workstation grade card with dedicated drivers So, when you say workstation, do you really mean a multimedia computer that you use to edit/encode video/photos, etc?

Depending on actual use as well as intended processor clock you might consider one route over another. Don't forget that watercooling still requires great case air flow for the remaining components.

^ yeah, after rubix mentioned those points - it gave me more questions for answering.

whats your profession?
is the rig going to be situated in an office environment?
what is the entire list of software's you're going to be on all the time(and in worst case scenarios)
I basically run all of those software's mate - thas why I'm asking.

* post back when you're up and brite with a cup of joe(+amuffin) see what I did there? :) 

case suggestions:

1| if in a casual environment
NZXT Phantom White Finish w/Red Trim - $110
Corsair Obsidian Series 800D - $265
Xigmatek Elysium Black - $160

2| if in a productive environment
BitFenix Shinobi XL White - $160 also comes in black
Fractal Design Define XL Titanium Grey w/ USB 3.0 - $150 also in black and white
NZXT SWITCH 810 Gun-Metal - $180 black white, black+white, matte black
Fractal Design Define R4 Black Pearl w/ USB 3.0 - $110 arctic white, gunmetal grey

all are able to give you watercoolabilty support, but yeah, according to the next few answers, we'll be able to determine IF you'll need to go watercooling anyway.

* makes me wonder, Rubix, has there been any one who cooled their quadro's/firepro cards on water? full blocks or uni's?

*oh poop, there goes my suggestions... :p 
m
l
a c 324 K Overclocking
August 1, 2012 9:10:38 PM

I don't think there are full blocks specifically for Fire/Quadro cards, but they typically don't follow reference PCB; they often have different layout, especially more vRAM 2-4+GB is very common on newer models as well as cap/vrm for stability, etc.
m
l
a c 324 K Overclocking
August 1, 2012 9:28:39 PM

I notice Conundrum chimed on on that thread...he hasn't shown up here for almost 2 years, I believe. Smart guy, but can be a little blunt. He's like many experienced guys; if you don't want to read stickies and links from stickies until you understand or refuse to Google questions, he has no time for you. Decent concept, but sometimes people just need a nudge in the right direction in order to do those next steps.
m
l
a c 78 K Overclocking
August 1, 2012 9:38:26 PM

I concur mate! does happen sometimes, as we get older and our agenda's pile up. We have less time to hold hands and walk and more time to show pictures and walk :p 
m
l
August 2, 2012 12:39:07 AM

Lutfij said:
^ yeah, after rubix mentioned those points - it gave me more questions for answering.

whats your profession?
is the rig going to be situated in an office environment?
what is the entire list of software's you're going to be on all the time(and in worst case scenarios)
I basically run all of those software's mate - thas why I'm asking.

* post back when you're up and brite with a cup of joe(+amuffin) see what I did there? :) 

case suggestions:

1| if in a casual environment
NZXT Phantom White Finish w/Red Trim - $110
Corsair Obsidian Series 800D - $265
Xigmatek Elysium Black - $160

2| if in a productive environment
BitFenix Shinobi XL White - $160 also comes in black
Fractal Design Define XL Titanium Grey w/ USB 3.0 - $150 also in black and white
NZXT SWITCH 810 Gun-Metal - $180 black white, black+white, matte black
Fractal Design Define R4 Black Pearl w/ USB 3.0 - $110 arctic white, gunmetal grey

all are able to give you watercoolabilty support, but yeah, according to the next few answers, we'll be able to determine IF you'll need to go watercooling anyway.

* makes me wonder, Rubix, has there been any one who cooled their quadro's/firepro cards on water? full blocks or uni's?

*oh poop, there goes my suggestions... :p 

Hey, Thank you! Yeah after sleeping for half an hour, reading all these stickies and 6 cups of coffee, I am not a complete zombie! Sorry, I feel like I should have been more specific on what i exactly I do. I am an EDM (Electronic Dance Music) producer and DJ from chicago. I'm looking to add some visuals to my music so I got the Adobe Creative Suite and have started using after effects to make sound-cued abstract animations. My rig will be set up in my apartment, so not in an office or anything.
In addition to using the creative suite, Ill be using Ableton Live, Traktor Pro, blender, 3ds Max and possibly a few more.
m
l
a c 324 K Overclocking
August 2, 2012 1:52:54 AM

I was in Chicago back in January for the IHE North America Connectathon. Basically a giant LAN for testing medical data transmission technologies and protocols for clinical data, patient record handling and data portability.

Nice town...I'd love to come back...I'm hooked on Chicago dogs and Giardiano's pizza.
m
l
August 2, 2012 1:56:25 AM

yeah, if you come back, stop by lou malnatis for pizza, possibly better then giordanos.
m
l
a c 324 K Overclocking
August 2, 2012 2:09:19 AM

Also in love with Al's Italian Beef sandwiches/dogs.
m
l
a c 78 K Overclocking
August 2, 2012 8:11:22 AM

fooooood [:lutfij:5]

ah a DJ! I tried that for a few years, but my schedules kept conflicting and the late night hours meant -> I won't go there now:) 

for your music productions, have you checked out this card?

* you'll be fine with a normal gaming card - nothing specific like a firepro or a workstation card to be exact. You can pull it off with an nvidia 670 :D  oh now we can full cover waterblock that baby!
** have you bought any studio monitors?
m
l
!