Question about RAID 0 and SSD

Fudgebar86

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
Lets say I have two HDD's and I want to set 'em up in RAID 0. One drive is an SSD drive, and the other is a SATA drive... Can they be set up in RAID 0? Will performance suffer at all as opposed to it being two SSD or SATA drives?

Thanks in advance for any help.

I've never tried mixing an ssd with regular sata drive for raid. I doubt it will work. I would set your ssd as the primary boot device, and the larger sata as secondary. I also clone my old sata to the new ssd using maxblast 5.0, good if one of your drives is made by maxtor or seagate. I also don't recommend the achi setting in the bios; use ide, unless your ssd supports trim. Intel and kingston ssd's support trim; not sure about other brands.

tom thumb

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2010

Just about everything you said is wrong. I am still laughing...

But out of generosity, I will explain:

First off, a HDD is not a SSD. They are both Hard Drives, but HDD = hard DISK drive, SSD = solid state drive.

Second, SATA is the name of the interface used to connect the hard drive to your motherboard. BOTH SSDs and HDDs use the SATA interface. Think of SATA as the cable connecting them.

Third, I suppose, technically, you could raid an SSD with an HDD, but this is something you *really* don't want to do... you'd loose just about all the advantages of SSDs and HDDs:

- You'd loose disk space on the HDD, as Raid must have the drives match in capacity
- You'd loose the speed of the SSD - it would be bottlenecked by the HDD, and by speed I mean everything... sequential r/w, random r/w, access time, Iops, usage reliability, trim... everything
- You'd loose the reliability of SSDs, as if the HDD failed, your array is kaput
- You'd loose the value of HDDs as you're still buying an SSD
- You'd loose the silence of an SSD, since you'd have an HDD running.

So no matter how you look at it, raiding an SSD with an HDD is a bad idea.

Finally, this is in the wrong forum... it should be in Hard Drives.

douchenozzle_03

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2011
First, I know this thread is old, but I couldn't help but reply, because after a truly douchey (not my word, but the meaning fits) post, you had the audacity to ask, "How so?". I will explain. First although he did incorrectly describe his question from a technical standpoint, you were able to distinguish what he was asking, making the first line unnecessary, and therefore condescending. You then followed with "I am still laughing...." implying that he is a person to be laughed at for his lack of knowledge, which is funny because this is a forum where you can learn things so that you don't lack knowledge. Then you follow up with "out of generousity...", which is contradictory to the I am still laughing part. It simultaneously makes you humble and arrogant. what follows after that is good advice, but then you finish with, a jab "Finally, this is in the wrong forum... it should be in Hard Drives. ". Your obvious lack of people skills is what makes the post douchey, not the technical advice you gave. So since you asked....out of my generosity, I explained....although....I am still laughing at the whole thing (sarcasm intended).

Syrocc

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2011
Well, couldn't help myself to post either:

1.) Arrogance isn't necessarily douchey, and people are allowed to laugh, even though it might sound rude;
2.) tom took the time to explain (thoroughly I might add) the situation with RAID, even though this really ISN'T the forum for hard drive questions; you don't have to be a hardware geek to figure that much out

Bottomline, I don't mind some sarcasm or irony from people, especially if it's backed up by a will to also provide helpful and constructive information.

Cheers!

I generally prefer people to be nice -- especially when I see OP or anyone trying to learn. Even the occasional heated debate is fine.

As far as sections, I only post in this section 'Motherboards & Memory' so I see everything here: OC, Full Builds, Windows issues, Drives, GPUs, Benching, etc. Rarely does any complain.