Sign in with
Your question

Galaxy gtx 550ti overclock

Last response: in Overclocking
August 1, 2012 12:22:52 PM

Hi there :hello:  i have a galaxy gtx 550ti and im really new to overclocking graphics cards. what program do you recommend ? and what are the highest clocks do you think ill be able to get up to ?

the default clocks are

gpu clock : 900 mhz
memory : 2050 mhz
shader : 1800 mhz
voltage : 1.087v

a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
August 1, 2012 5:36:17 PM

Use MSI Afterburner: http://event.msi.com/vga/afterburner/index.htm To do the overclocking. Then once you have raised the clock speed and memory speed by maybe 15MHz, run a program like 3DMark 11 to test to see if it's stable. Basically, if there are no artifacts and it doesn't crash, you are good to go. Continue to raise the clock speed and memory speed until 3DMark crashes. Once that happens, all you have to do is raise the Voltage multiplier (You can unlock the multiplier in the settings of afterburner) by 15Mv or so until the crashing stops. eventually you will reach the point where raising the voltage doesn't prevent a crash. At this point, keep the voltage you have set when it crashes, and lower both the memory and clock speed by 10-15 MHz, then boom. Overclock successful. Note* Shader clock is automatically adjusted to the speed of the core clock.
m
l
a c 109 U Graphics card
a c 150 K Overclocking
August 1, 2012 6:07:37 PM

You should be able to get at least up to 950mhz.
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
August 1, 2012 7:37:12 PM

I agree with amuffin, somewhere around 975 to 1000MHz is where you'll probably top out.
m
l
August 1, 2012 7:45:54 PM

You should be able to get near the superclocked versions speeds. My 550 ti is @ 951mhz I believe, I would start there and work your way up slowly.

Edit: I thought there werent really any advantages to overclocking anything but high end cards?
m
l
a c 109 U Graphics card
a c 150 K Overclocking
August 2, 2012 3:38:37 AM

DarkOutlaw said:
You should be able to get near the superclocked versions speeds. My 550 ti is @ 951mhz I believe, I would start there and work your way up slowly.

Edit: I thought there werent really any advantages to overclocking anything but high end cards?

There are some advantages, a few fps too.

Too bad the higher binned 550ti's suck at OC, when I overclock above 1ghz from stock of 981mhz performance goes down :( 
m
l
!