Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Copy large movie files ????

Last response: in Storage
Share
December 22, 2011 7:04:00 PM

Hello,

I often copy and move many large movie files. I have my entire bluray collection and dvd's all on my hard drives.

I have about 8TB worth of movies... on many different hard drives.

My main OS is located on C drive on a Vertex2 120gig SSD.

I have a Raid0 Velociraptor array for "everyday use" It is two 300GB 10k rpm raptors in Raid 0 for a single 600GB drive. It's fairly quick. I use this for my documents, pictures, music.. and for downloading or ripping unto.


I also have 4 2TB drives internal ... and a 3TB USB3.0 that are for storage.

My next step is to make a NAS or server.. for storage.


My question:

Is there a fast and easy way to move large files or folders from one drive to another... and to do this at the same time.

I am often moving collections and movies from one drive to another... or folder to another folder... as I organize my media center the way I want it.

It takes a long time.





Second question-

What determines how fast the folder is copy/pasted? If I build a new PC would it be faster? Is there a faster transfer rate for say an LGA2011 based i7 vs an LGA1155 i5 ??

Does memory amount or CPU speed matter? Or the side bus?


or is the transfer strictly limited to the connection and drive speed? (like SATA 3G or a 7200rpm drive)

More about : copy large movie files

a b G Storage
December 22, 2011 7:24:04 PM

For Copy/Moving files between TWO storages - the FASTEST speed would be the SLOWEST component involve.

Example: there are a SSD can moving data @ 250MB/s and and USB2.0 can move the data @ 20MB/s, then your best speed would be 20MB/s.

So far as what I have used, the BEST speed I can transfer BIG file is 100MB/sec between 2x SATA drives, where I copy to my NAS is 70~85MB/sec. I avoid USB2.0 at much as I can.. cuz those thing are SLOWWWWW!
m
0
l
December 22, 2011 7:45:02 PM

FireWire2 said:
For Copy/Moving files between TWO storages - the FASTEST speed would be the SLOWEST component involve.

Example: there are a SSD can moving data @ 250MB/s and and USB2.0 can move the data @ 20MB/s, then your best speed would be 20MB/s.

So far as what I have used, the BEST speed I can transfer BIG file is 100MB/sec between 2x SATA drives, where I copy to my NAS is 70~85MB/sec. I avoid USB2.0 at much as I can.. cuz those thing are SLOWWWWW!


Is there a way to make NAS faster?

Assume I was going to build a NAS or a server, what would I want to do to make sure I could place large folders and files onto it with quick transfer?

RAID0 ?

worth getting 7200rpm drives vs "green" ?
m
0
l
Related resources
a b G Storage
December 22, 2011 9:35:22 PM

Mfusick said:
Is there a way to make NAS faster?


NAS can be fast with boding NICs, especially 802.3ad (LACP).
If you bonding 4x Gb Ethernet ports, then the bandwidth you have is 4000Mb/s instead of 1000Mb/s. But this requires LACP supported switches. Most of home/small bus. uses Load Balance mode, which pretty decent and offer fail-proof. But just one end of it :-)

If you transfer from your computer, which I assume only have one NIC then this single NIC will be determine the speed.

Unless you install more NICs and bond them then you would get more transfer rate.

Mfusick said:
Assume I was going to build a NAS or a server, what would I want to do to make sure I could place large folders and files onto it with quick transfer?

RAID0 ?

worth getting 7200rpm drives vs "green" ?


To get NAS transfer more 100MB/sec, it is not an easy task! There are too many variables to consider, but basically about 70~95MB/s then it is relative straight forward...

- Hardware RAID5 with min of 3x drives
- Gb Ethernet

You can DIY or get the same NAS I have - eBOX-N
m
0
l
December 23, 2011 1:11:02 PM

What if I did not need the RAID5 ? Would RAID 0 work better for cheaper?

They are just movies and are replaceable.

m
0
l
a b G Storage
December 23, 2011 1:18:30 PM

If you can take the drives out of the NAS and stick them into your computer, it would be way way faster.
m
0
l
December 23, 2011 1:55:02 PM

memadmax said:
If you can take the drives out of the NAS and stick them into your computer, it would be way way faster.



That is the direction I am headed.

I see lots of server and NAS systems with many using them- but I just want a little more speed.

I might do a four drive by either 2/3/4 TB HDD's with Raid0 array directly to the motherboard or Highpoint Raid controller card.

I should be able to get 8TB minimum from that. 12 or 16TB if I used the larger drives. I can make do with that... then use another HDD for everyday use.. and OS on SSD.

m
0
l
a b G Storage
December 23, 2011 2:25:04 PM

New drives and a new computer will not help much. Your going to be limited by the HDs write speed and the network speed. Raid 0 should help as it doubles the write speed by having the amount of data written to each drive.

In my nas I have 2 gigabit broadcom network cards teamed. I get sustanined transfer speeds of around 140-150mbs, but only from my main computer that has a pair of Nvidia 1gb network cards teamed. Thats about as fast as you can ever get on consumer gigabit routers and switches. Although they have 5 1gb ports the max through put is only around 2gb or 220mbs, hower you loose alot of speed due to overhead.
m
0
l
December 23, 2011 2:39:25 PM

Thanks. I might just go internal inside the PC. I just have trouble finding a case that will accept all my hardrives.

m
0
l
December 23, 2011 4:42:53 PM

I use a Gb network and I can copy files at up to about 100 MB/s max unless there is a lot of traffic on the LAN.

To go faster I can always move to 10GBASE-T but that is still too expensive for my tastes.

USB is not well suited to storage, its too finicky in my experience. To many wiped disks that add to the frustration.

I use servers, Linux, Windows, I have lots of servers. Makes like 10x easier.
m
0
l
a b G Storage
December 23, 2011 9:45:43 PM

If your movies are in a SATA drive, the best speed you can move/copy is 120MB/sec MAX most of the time is about 80~90MB/sec with connect direct to SATA port.

What speed are you try to achieve? Remember transfer speed will be the LOWEST device
m
0
l
December 24, 2011 12:01:24 AM

FireWire2 said:
If your movies are in a SATA drive, the best speed you can move/copy is 120MB/sec MAX most of the time is about 80~90MB/sec with connect direct to SATA port.

What speed are you try to achieve? Remember transfer speed will be the LOWEST device


I want to remain around 100MB/sec +

m
0
l
a b G Storage
December 26, 2011 11:23:57 PM

Your current movies archives are in singel HDD?

If your movies are in Single drive USB2.0, eSATA, or USB3.0, SATA... then don't waste your time to find the solution. Use use Teracopy utility, it helps

You just cue all the files and let it goes.
m
0
l
a c 415 G Storage
December 27, 2011 12:00:23 AM

^+1

No amount of optimization is going to make copying 8TB worth of movies quick. Just use a utility to do the copy and let it happen overnight. It's not like you have to do this every day.

When it comes time to play the movies, you don't have to worry about transfer rates. It only takes 2 to 3MByte/sec to play a movie, even if it's full HD with uncompressed audio. Any local network connection or drive can can that with tons of capacity to spare.
m
0
l
December 27, 2011 2:13:42 PM

sminlal said:
^+1

No amount of optimization is going to make copying 8TB worth of movies quick. Just use a utility to do the copy and let it happen overnight. It's not like you have to do this every day.

When it comes time to play the movies, you don't have to worry about transfer rates. It only takes 2 to 3MByte/sec to play a movie, even if it's full HD with uncompressed audio. Any local network connection or drive can can that with tons of capacity to spare.



Well I in process of ripping my bluray library.. I do about 6 more every couple days.

I first rip them to a folder.. then run Mediamaster on them. Then I move the finished folder to the final storage destination once it has album art, backdrops, and metadata.

So I am copying 10-20GB sized folders constantly.

It's not a once and done thing.
m
0
l
December 27, 2011 2:15:22 PM

FireWire2 said:
Your current movies archives are in singel HDD?

If your movies are in Single drive USB2.0, eSATA, or USB3.0, SATA... then don't waste your time to find the solution. Use use Teracopy utility, it helps

You just cue all the files and let it goes.



I rip to a Velociraptor RAID 0 array. It's pretty quick.

This is the destination for the rips, that feeds the transfer to the final destination.

My questions are related to how to configure my new PC and drives so that the transfer is fast. Also the movie library is fast.

m
0
l
December 29, 2011 6:30:30 PM

You could check out www.thruinc.com. Using it you can upload all the files into the cloud for storing, and you can just pull them out whenever you want to look at or send them. It stores files or folders of ANY size.
m
0
l
December 29, 2011 6:44:44 PM

Your link appears invalid. I never heard of this service. Is it free?
m
0
l
a b G Storage
January 5, 2012 4:19:11 PM

nxb3942 said:
You could check out www.thruinc.com. Using it you can upload all the files into the cloud for storing, and you can just pull them out whenever you want to look at or send them. It stores files or folders of ANY size.


This certainly is not a fast and low cost solution, the speed is base on your Internet connection. Note: T3= 44736 kbps (4MB/sec), which will cost you lot of $$$, let alone storage charge :-)

This is not for home BD storage solution!.

To transfer fast between your NAS and your PC. Teaming at least TWO Gb NICs in BOTH systems

Best protocol is LACP, but that requires LACP switches. A decent Gb switch and Load-Balance protocol would give you about 145MB~185MB/sec transfer rate...
m
0
l
January 11, 2012 1:27:07 PM

Mfusick said:
Your link appears invalid. I never heard of this service. Is it free?


Hey, it included the period in the link. Here it is again: www.thruinc.com
It is designed for businesses but I think they will also work with individuals who need the services. I use it and it is definately much easier to use and work with than a lot of this other stuff.
m
0
l
a b G Storage
January 13, 2012 5:25:25 PM

nxb3942 said:
Hey, it included the period in the link. Here it is again: www.thruinc.com
It is designed for businesses but I think they will also work with individuals who need the services. I use it and it is definately much easier to use and work with than a lot of this other stuff.


Can you share us the cost of the service, since you're using it.
m
0
l
January 23, 2012 2:30:36 PM

????????????
m
0
l
!