Sign in with
Your question

How many fans will I need?

Last response: in Overclocking
August 1, 2012 1:13:09 PM

I have bought two Noiseblocker S-Series M12-S2 120mm fans already, but I'm not sure how many overall I will need. I don't think my hardware is that extreme as to need the full amount of fans that the space provides.

Here is my spec:

BitFenix Shinobi case
Intel Core i5-2500K 3.30GHz (Sandybridge) Socket LGA1155
Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD4 Z68 Socket 1155
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 560Ti OC 1024MB
Corsair XMS3 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C9 1600MHz Dual Channel Kit
Samsung F4EG 2TB HDD
Titan Fenrir Evo CPU Cooler
Corsair CMPSU-850HX Professional Series 850W Power Supply

Here's the fan options for the case:
- Front Cooling: 2 x 120mm Fans
- Rear Cooling: 1 x 120mm Fan or 1 x 92mm Fan
- Top Cooling: 2 x 140mm Fans or 2 x 120mm Fans
- Bottom Cooling: 1 x 120mm Fan

So... I really am clueless on air cooling... solutions, please? Not sure if getting 140s is worth it, although you guys know far more than me.

Thanks.

More about : fans

a b K Overclocking
August 1, 2012 4:28:36 PM

Start simple. Front to rear airflow. Test your temps and move on if needed. Once you go past 3-4 fans in your case the temperature drops are less drastic but the noise increases for each fan added. 140mm fans are nice, but it all depends on what type of 140 fans. There are high quality 120mm fans that will out perform a lot of 140mm fans. So, either or is good depending on the make and model.

Start with one intake up front, and one exhaust on the rear of the case (120mm). Now if you want to add more fans you can then add a second front intake fan, and next a top fan as exhaust. At this point you would be at 4 case fans. If you wanted to set up positive pressure you could add a 5th fan to the bottom as intake. Remember for a positive pressure set up to truly benefit you should have filters on any intake fans.

Good luck.
a b K Overclocking
August 1, 2012 5:03:05 PM

I really don't think you need any more than what you've got. Listen to the above post. Four case fans should be more than enough.
Related resources
August 1, 2012 5:11:15 PM

2 front 1 rear 1 top(furthest slot back) would be your best bet.
August 1, 2012 5:36:52 PM

Thanks guys - I'll follow the steps provided. Will order another 120mm for added insurance if it's needed, and if the temps aren't great, I'll just order one when the rig is set up.

One other thing: would I need a fan controller? The fans aren't extreme, but they do shift a lot of air at 1250RPM. I know a lot of things can be done via BIOS etc, but not sure if I need anything extra.
August 1, 2012 7:25:48 PM

FYI - Anand tech did a review today on 120mm fans. Except they didn't have mine so I'm still at a loss wheather to get new ones. It will help you hopefully.
a b K Overclocking
August 1, 2012 7:59:23 PM

There are a few different ways to control fans. If the fans are 3 pin you can control them by voltage regulation, and yes a fan controller would help with this. This will help drastically if the fans are loud at full load. Keep in mind with less voltage also comes less rpm and less airflow. Typically not a big deal if you don't dial them down to low.

Some motherboards have fan control too but that's mobo specific.

If you "need" to control your fans is really up to you. Comes down to if you want to make them less loud or not.
August 1, 2012 10:56:21 PM

Cheers guys.

My mobo doesn't appear to have fan control - at least by its description - so it looks like I'll be investing in a fan controller to be sure.

Re the Anandtech article, I can't find it anywhere. Any links?
!