Raid stripe(0) two revo 3 x2 drives

xrxejoexaxpxexr

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2011
I am getting info together before my next build. I was wondering if it is possible to take two revo3 x2 drives and raid 0 them together. I understand one card does raid 0 on it. So to raid two of these cards together I would be using the raid built onto the motherboard. Now I know this would be expensive, so I want to be absolutely sure this is going to work before buying the parts.

Wamphryi

Distinguished
I doubt that the onboard RAID controller will support RAID 0 through PCI E cards. The controller is expecting to work on drives attached to the SATA Ports. You may want to consider avoiding RAID 0 anyway. You are not going to gain real world performance from it under 95% of normal computer use. If you really must have RAID 0 then go for the more conventional SSD's available. Even then be sure the SSD controllers are advanced enough to support TRIM in RAID 0.

Quote:
advanced enough to support TRIM in RAID 0.
End quote.

I'm note aware of any SSD supporting trim while it is a member drive of a raid set-up. I know that if you attach the drive to a sata port and set the controller to raid, then do NOT use the SSD as a member drive to a raid configuration, then Trim can be passed (Intel RST driver since ver 9.6).

Trim may be enabled in windows, but that does NOT mean that it will be passed.

Certain RAID controllers support something very similar to TRIM. They do their own garbage collection and maintain the SSD's block usage on their own. OCZ did this with their Revodrive line.

To the OP, the answer to your question is yes and no.

No you can't do RAID in firmware across disks attached to different HBA's, at least not with anything available at the consumer range.

Yes can you do RAID in the OS across those disks, but you won't be able to boot off them nor use them as system disks. In the Revodrive's firmware have it break the disk array and expose the internal disks to the OS (if it'll let you). Windows will let you initialize the disks and make them into a striped array. Linux based OS's will let you construct the array and boot off it.