Sign in with
Your question

Cpu seems to be running slow

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
March 11, 2010 10:13:48 PM

I'm having problems with my processor is a phenom ii 955 black edition and it seems to not be handling games as well as it should.I have 3 gigs of ram and a nvidia 260 and when playing games like assassins creed 2 or bad company 2 I have to put everything on low just to make it playable.Even though I'm running things at 1900x1200 i would think my system should be able to handle these things quiet easily.When i check my processor from control panel>system it says it is 639mhz I'm guessing the reason it says its low is due to amd's cool n quiet but my fps in games is still lowsy I thought this computer would be able to handle things more easier.My motherboard is a asus M4N72-E,power supply 550 watt rosewill running windows xp.Hard drive is barely 400gigs with 200 used,is something in my bios or something impeding on my cpu running at full capacity.I was thinking maybe I need a better power supply because I also have this problem where my computer doesn't start the first time, every time the first time i boot it won't start or make the window beep, every time the second time it makes the window beep then continues normally.Would upgrading to a newer windows help so I could get the full benefit of 4 gigs instead of 3 (have 2 2 gig sticks in),I would appreciate any help maybe my fsb speed is messed up.Please help me its frustrating at times the fps drops to 2-10,if you need a dxdiag or anything like that just let me know and thanks!!

More about : cpu running slow

a c 127 à CPUs
March 11, 2010 10:27:11 PM

http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx?SLan...

Just wanted to check but your CPU is supported. I would check two things:

The CPU temp while idle and running games is one. The second is the PSU.

If the CPU is running too hot it would downclock to lower the temperature. Most of the time a feature like Cool'N'Quiet is an even number so say 800MHz when idle, not 639MHz.

Its a possibility that the CPU is running hot due to improper heatsink placement so check that.

If that doesn't work and a higher watt PSU doesn't help then you might just have a bad CPU.

BTW, post the temps here so we can look at them.

Also, AMD CPUs do not have a FSB (Front Side Bus). They have a base clock (BCLK normally) and a multiplier. They also have HTT (HyperTransport) that connects the cores as well as external devices and memory to the CPU. Only older Intel CPUs (Core 2 and lower) have a FSB.
m
l
March 12, 2010 12:05:20 AM

my temperature after playing games for about 5 min and restarting was Cpu:48c/118f Mb:39c/93f .My heatsink seems to be in proper place im hoping its the psu maybe the cpu isn't receiving adequate power,probably not but just throwing it out there.Theres also the issue of having to start my computer twice to get in running so I hope its just the psu because newegg doesn't offer anything after 30 days although amd might.Thanks for the helping me with this issue.
m
l
Related resources
a c 131 à CPUs
March 12, 2010 12:14:40 AM

Check to make sure you have installed the latest Nvidia driver from their website. The performance sounds so bad that I question if you might be using the default windows driver?

Your booting problem does not sound like a power supply issue and generally 500W should be more than enough. Oddly enough I had the exact same booting problem with an old pentium III system. I never figured it out though.
m
l
March 12, 2010 8:52:32 AM

i am using nvidias latest drivers im thinking its cpu related maybe,maybe not either way i think i should be getting more better fps it sucks to have to play games with low graphics and still getting crappy fps.
m
l
March 13, 2010 4:09:11 AM

i read somewhere that there booting problems were fixed by getting a new psu,is it possible that the cpu is running at minimal capacity because it doesn't have enough power?or did i just get a defective cpu because it handles everything else fine its just games it doesn't seem to handle to good or as good as it should.
m
l
!