Cannibalizing Dell Gen 5 for new system, with various issues and ?s

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
January 5, 2010 4:18:37 PM

Good afternoon, all!

This build is the first time I'm building a computer from the ground up...and yet I'm not exactly doing that, since I'd like to use as much of the old computer as I possibly can. For anyone reading this that can help and give advice, I only ask that you provide a reason behind your opinions, hopefully with facts to support them. THANK YOU IN ADVANCE! All of you in teh CPU and mobo sections were a huge help.

Here's what I'm on right now:

Dell XPS Generation 5:
Pentium D 3.0 MHz ('830', 130W)
2 GB DDR RAM @ 667 MHz (4x512MB DIMMs)
NVIDIA GeForce 9800GT 512 MB
WD Raptor 10K RPM 80 GB HDD
460W PSU (Dell, I'm not sure what else I can tell you about this)
Many, Many fans
Huge Pentium D heatsink
DVD-RW
DVD-ROM
Media Card Reader
Soundblaster sound card
TV tuner

I got for Christmas:
$100 Fry's Gift card
Intel x-25 G2 SSD 80 GB

What I just bought with the GC, plus out of pocket:
MSI 790 GX-G65 AM3 mobo ($125 + tax)
AMD Phenom II X3 720 BE ($120 + tax)
Corsair CMX4GX3M2A1600C9 2x2GB) DDR3 @ 1600 (sale- $90 + tax)
AS Arctic Alumina Ceramic Poly Thermal Compound ($4.20)
2.5-3.5" bay converter for SSD ($5)

What I know/Pretty sure about, but can check if needed:
Case fits ATX Mobo
PSU has all needed connecters for Graphics Card and everything in current system, but I don't know if it was straining it.
Pentium D is 130 W, X3 is 95 W... PSU should be fine, right?

What I want to do:
I play games, though usually not the newest
I love tinkering, and I have never overclocked before, and I'd like to try
I want it to run stable-y at stock, but have the OC option

Questions:
1) Is the 460W PSU enough? Dell made a 650W for this case I can get for $100, but I'd prefer not to
2) Do I need the termal compound I bought? Is the stock good enough?
3) If I'm trying to OC, do I need any more cooling than the Gen 5 case provides? there are a LOT of fans! including specific ones for the CPU and the PSU
4) Will this RAM, Mobo, and CPU fit into my plans? I heard they are all good for overclocking, and pretty good quality for the prices. I'd prefer not to spend much more, if any, but I can always take them back and start anew. the RAM says it's "made for i5," is that bull?
5) Besides the x16 --> x8 x8 issue on this mobo and the cramped space for the RAM...is there any reason I should not use this mobo? what about the 790FX?
6) The current heatsink is huge and dissapated the Pentium D's monsterous heat output...should I use that in lieu of the Phenom II stock heatsink? It also fits into the nice Dell case pretty well, too, with 2 fans to cool just the CPU
7) All the other components (DVD-RW, DVD, media card, Graphics, Sound, TV tunder, even the old HDD as a second drive) I'd like to still use...are my power inputs enough? any issues?
8) Anything else anyone can think of that I haven't covered? Please help! I want to make sure all my i's are dotted and t's crossed before I open everything up and start! Thank you so much!

More about : cannibalizing dell gen system issues

January 5, 2010 6:15:52 PM

1) Don't know, sorry
2) the stock cooler does not need it as it has pre-applied thermal paste but i would recommend an after-market cpu cooler
3) im not familiar with the case but those fans+a good cpu heatsink sounds like it would be good
4) sounds good! your mobo has the 790GX chipset by the way, not the 790FX
5) i have never used MSI but my current mobo has the 790GX chipset and has worked great so far!
6) INTEL heatsinks aren't compatible with AMD cpus
7)keep all of them, especially the velociraptor!!! great hard-drive!
8) depending on your monitor resolution and the games you play you might want to upgrade your graphics card...

Max
m
l
January 5, 2010 6:41:47 PM

1. The items you purchased so far should not be using more power than the Pentium D, but that's only for stock speeds. 460W doesn't actually mean anything. It's the +12V amperage that matters. Read the label on the side of the PSU and let us know what it says for that. You can have a 800 W PSU that can't run a 5770, but a 300W one that can depending on +12V amperage.

2. If you OC, they you'll want a better thermal compound and a good HSF (heat sink and fan). If not, then stock cooler is passable.

3. Can't find the Gen 5 case fan specs. Minimally, what you want is a case with a bottom mounted PSU, a large intake fan in the front, and a large exhaust fan on top and at the rear. Ideally, you'd also like a side fan, and all fans to be at least 120mm. Excellent examples are the Antec 1200, 900, HAF 932/922. I also personally like the Elements G/S.

4. The components will work. There is no such thing as RAM being built for a specific CPU. All RAM is built to industry standards that make is compatible with any mobo that supports its type. IE a MOBO will support either all DDR or all DDR2 or all DDR3. Some support both DDR2 and DDR3. Only exception is extremely fast speed enthusiast RAM that some mobos will not support at their max speeds (they will at lower speeds though).

5. Dual x8 is not an issue or a performance loss over dual x16 unless you're gaming at 2560 x 1600.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/core-i5-lynnfield,2...

6. A given HSF will only work with certain sockets. Check the manufacture info for which Socket types a HSF will support. For example a CM Hyper 212 Plus will work on any modern socket AMD and Intel.
The Dell HSF won't support an AMD CPU, I can tell you that right now.

7. You can use old optical drives, media card reader and sound card (though MOBO sound is the same quality these days). You could use the Raptor as storage, but something like the Spinpoint F3, $54.99 for 500gb, will kick a G1 raptors butt in performance.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

8. You'll want a new GPU. A P II X3 is wasted on a 9800 GT. Depending on your budget read this article and choose the GPU for you.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-310-5970,24...
However, if you can afford a 5850 $310, it's definitely a great buy and is probably the cheapest GPU that will allow your CPU to be maxed out at 1920 x 1080 (ie you're being CPU bottle necked instead of GPU). If you're using a lower resolution monitor you can probably get away with something less.
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
January 5, 2010 7:03:25 PM

1) XFX specs for a 9800 GT are minimum 400W (26A on 12V rails). Any chance you can find the chart on your PSU with the rails and wattages? Should be a big sticker on the side of the PSU.

One issue with PSUs is that capacitors age causing the PSU to loose efficiency. If you are close to the PSUs limit, it will become underpowered after a couple years aging.

7) Any components that are IDE are probably useable but not preferable. If they are SATA then they should be fine.

You will have to re-install the operating system when you replace the motherboard. You wont be able to just boot up on the existing boot hard drive.
m
l
January 5, 2010 8:17:25 PM

banthracis said:
1. The items you purchased so far should not be using more power than the Pentium D, but that's only for stock speeds. 460W doesn't actually mean anything. It's the +12V amperage that matters. Read the label on the side of the PSU and let us know what it says for that. You can have a 800 W PSU that can't run a 5770, but a 300W one that can depending on +12V amperage.

2. If you OC, they you'll want a better thermal compound and a good HSF (heat sink and fan). If not, then stock cooler is passable.

3. Can't find the Gen 5 case fan specs. Minimally, what you want is a case with a bottom mounted PSU, a large intake fan in the front, and a large exhaust fan on top and at the rear. Ideally, you'd also like a side fan, and all fans to be at least 120mm. Excellent examples are the Antec 1200, 900, HAF 932/922. I also personally like the Elements G/S.

4. The components will work. There is no such thing as RAM being built for a specific CPU. All RAM is built to industry standards that make is compatible with any mobo that supports its type. IE a MOBO will support either all DDR or all DDR2 or all DDR3. Some support both DDR2 and DDR3. Only exception is extremely fast speed enthusiast RAM that some mobos will not support at their max speeds (they will at lower speeds though).

5. Dual x8 is not an issue or a performance loss over dual x16 unless you're gaming at 2560 x 1600.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/core-i5-lynnfield,2...

6. A given HSF will only work with certain sockets. Check the manufacture info for which Socket types a HSF will support. For example a CM Hyper 212 Plus will work on any modern socket AMD and Intel.
The Dell HSF won't support an AMD CPU, I can tell you that right now.

7. You can use old optical drives, media card reader and sound card (though MOBO sound is the same quality these days). You could use the Raptor as storage, but something like the Spinpoint F3, $54.99 for 500gb, will kick a G1 raptors butt in performance.

8. You'll want a new GPU. A P II X3 is wasted on a 9800 GT. Depending on your budget read this article and choose the GPU for you.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-310-5970,24...
However, if you can afford a 5850 $310, it's definitely a great buy and is probably the cheapest GPU that will allow your CPU to be maxed out at 1920 x 1080 (ie you're being CPU bottle necked instead of GPU). If you're using a lower resolution monitor you can probably get away with something less.

to all of you, thanks for the detailed responses. I will definitely look at the PSU details tonight and post them for a better idea of how everything will work. To specifically respond to the above reply:

1) Please check back tonight, as I will post the PSU info

2) Better compound than the AS stuff I bought for $5? Also, is there an inexpensive HS you recommend? Also, if the Dell Gen 5 case has a dual-fan plus plastic divider directly on top of the current heatsink, won't this be enough for cooling? It had been cooling the Pentium D all these years. There are also a total of, like, 7 fans...I'll count tonight...in this case.

3) The Gen 5 case has a long PSU covering the entire bottom with specific cooling for it, as well as 2 fans right to the CPU/HS, and other fans...again, I'll check tonight and be more specific, and maybe measure them. I'm trying not to spend that much more, but if you all think it's necessary, please tell me so! I just want to try my hand at OCing, but I would like to try and push it in the future, maybe.

4) Thank you!

5) Thank you, However, would the MSI 790FX-GD70 be better for heat, overclocking, x16 issue in the future, etc? or should i spend the extra i was considering spending on a better HSF?

6) Wait...so...the fans themselves won't work, or are you just saying the heatsink can't attach? that makes sense, so I'd either use the stock HS, or buy a better one, whatever you tell me to do :) , but the fans should work, right? the current heatsink i have is huge and goes across the case and has 2 fans mounted on the case and a plastic shield covering the HS and 2 fans going to the outside of the case.

7) Thank you again, however, my main dive will be the SSD from intel that i got for Christmas :)  the Raptor would jsut be for storage, or if i want to install old games that don't really need the SSD capabilities.

8) I realize this, which certainly sucks, but I figure I can throw this all together now, and in the future, I can upgrade my Graphics Card when they are cheaper. I like to wait until GPUs are $100 to upgrade. This bottleneck will really only effect gaming, right? everything else will still be faster with the CPU MOBO and RAM upgrade, in addition to the SSD, right?

thanks so much for your response, I might jsut unwrap everything when i get home and assess the heatsink issue! How much would a "good" heatsink cost me?

m
l
January 5, 2010 8:29:35 PM

Right now it will cost $160-$175 to get a graphics card that is 50% faster than the 9800. The 9800 will still run most games at medium-high settings at 1920x1080 so its not really that bad of a card.
m
l

Best solution

January 5, 2010 8:36:38 PM

2. The AS stuff you got is fine. To learn how to apply
Read http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/274.

http://hardwarelogic.com/articles.php?id=5065

They're old, but still valid.

HSF get a CM Hyper 212 Plus. Only $28 and one of the best performance HSF's in the world.

http://www.frostytech.com/top5heatsinks.cfm

3. Unless its a proprietary PSU, any PSU will fit any case, PSU size is an industry standard. Either way, PSU's wear out over time, so definitely pick up a new one.

Can pick up a OCZ 700w one for $50 that'll full fill all your needs.

Other top choices are the Corsair TX line of 550, 650 and 750.

5. Get the CM Hyper 212 plus if you wanna OC.

6. The Heatsink will not attach to a CPU unless it's been designed to fit the CPU's socket type. Not all fans will fit all Heat sinks, especially those Heat sinks with weird designs. Stares at the TT SpinQ....

7. I also have a 80gb X25-M, but it's not big enough for all my apps and games. I use a spinpoint F3 for rest of games and apps and 1 TB Caviar Green for media storage (they were cheapest $/GB at the time i bought em). Think the 1.5 TB caviar greens are the cheapest now.

8. Correct, a slower GPU will mostly affect gaming, with the exception of a few specialized industry software. However, if you go too slow, then you run into problems playing DVD's, HD streams and Blue Rays especially. Basically, you want a GPU can can process 1020p video, which almost any modern GPU outside of Integrated ones can do.
January 5, 2010 9:03:19 PM

1) Is the 460W PSU enough? Dell made a 650W for this case I can get for $100, but I'd prefer not to

As others have said, as long as it's functioning well, it's fine. I've read somewhere that PSU efficiency goes down over time. I have no proof that that's a fact but keep it in mind. If you're going to replace, there are better options than the Dell and for less than $100.

Well, once you took the HSF off, the factory thermal compound is no longer usable really. I mean you could, but it wouldn't be optimal. The AS you bought will be fine. Read up on how to apply it properly- you don't just goop it on.

3) If I'm trying to OC, do I need any more cooling than the Gen 5 case provides? there are a LOT of fans! including specific ones for the CPU and the PSU

If you're not trying to break speed records, you're probably ok. Do all those fans have a place to plug into on the motherboard?

4) Will this RAM, Mobo, and CPU fit into my plans? I heard they are all good for overclocking, and pretty good quality for the prices. I'd prefer not to spend much more, if any, but I can always take them back and start anew. the RAM says it's "made for i5," is that bull?
5) Besides the x16 --> x8 x8 issue on this mobo and the cramped space for the RAM...is there any reason I should not use this mobo? what about the 790FX?
6) The current heatsink is huge and dissapated the Pentium D's monsterous heat output...should I use that in lieu of the Phenom II stock heatsink? It also fits into the nice Dell case pretty well, too, with 2 fans to cool just the CPU

It probably won't fit unless it's one of those adjustable ones. In that case, it still may not work because you probably don't have the extra mounting hardware.

7) All the other components (DVD-RW, DVD, media card, Graphics, Sound, TV tunder, even the old HDD as a second drive) I'd like to still use...are my power inputs enough? any issues?

Probably not.

8) Anything else anyone can think of that I haven't covered? Please help! I want to make sure all my i's are dotted and t's crossed before I open everything up and start! Thank you so much!

$100 will often buy a GTS250 from Fry's or online- they are definitely good enough to game with good eye candy if you don't push resolutions too high.

$30-40 should be plenty to buy a top notch HSF. I spent just $22 on my Hyper 212+ but that's for socket 775/1156/1366. Stock heatsinks have been getting better all the time- the intel ones with C2D were good for 25+% OCs back in the E6300 days. Whether you need one or not depends highly on how hard you're going to push it.
m
l
January 5, 2010 9:16:08 PM

Questions:
Should suffice, since you got only one HDD and it is a SSD.

Stock works just fine, special one might be slightly better though, in case of OC.

Depends on how much you wanna OC.

RAM works no matter the CPU, so yes, it is bull, unless they were referring to the fact that is DDR3 and fits in the new sockets.

If you can live with that, I see no problems.

Stock = Sucks.

With 500W you can safely run up to 3 HDDs plus the rest.

You're welcome.
m
l
January 5, 2010 10:50:24 PM

dndhatcher said:
1) XFX specs for a 9800 GT are minimum 400W (26A on 12V rails). Any chance you can find the chart on your PSU with the rails and wattages? Should be a big sticker on the side of the PSU.

One issue with PSUs is that capacitors age causing the PSU to loose efficiency. If you are close to the PSUs limit, it will become underpowered after a couple years aging.

7) Any components that are IDE are probably useable but not preferable. If they are SATA then they should be fine.

You will have to re-install the operating system when you replace the motherboard. You wont be able to just boot up on the existing boot hard drive.

Thanks!

Ok, for all who were wondering, myself included, my PSU is as follows:

Output:
+5V = 35A
+12V_B = 17.0A
+12V_A = 17.0 A
-12V = .8A
+3VFP = 2.0 A
+3.3V = 40 A

As for your reinstall comment, I wouldn't do it any other way, I definitely want to start fresh.

Any comments on the PSU handling everything? I plan on replying to each post, and I think you for the info!
m
l
January 5, 2010 10:58:45 PM

jcarrey42 said:
Thanks!

Ok, for all who were wondering, myself included, my PSU is as follows:

Output:
+5V = 35A
+12V_B = 17.0A
+12V_A = 17.0 A
-12V = .8A
+3VFP = 2.0 A
+3.3V = 40 A

As for your reinstall comment, I wouldn't do it any other way, I definitely want to start fresh.

Any comments on the PSU handling everything? I plan on replying to each post, and I think you for the info!

WTF? how on earth is that PSU running your 9800 GT? If dnd got the right specs, that PSU doesn't supply anywhere near enough A. Do you get random crashes/restart whenever you play games on high settings? Actual nvm, i think the 9800 GT specs he posted is not the GPU's draw on a rail, just a recommended total. But still, something looks wrong there...

But yea, get a new PSU, that one is about as close to crap as you can get w/o being in the brown. The whole multiple +12V rails thing was several years back when manufacturer's were too cheap to build quality PSU's with 1 rail.

Think of multiple rails as like a Raid 0 array. Each extra rail increases the chance of failure. A dual rail is 2x as likely to fail, 4 rail 4x as likely, etc.

Go with the OCZ I linked or one of the Corsairs.
m
l
January 5, 2010 11:00:19 PM

banthracis said:
2. The AS stuff you got is fine. To learn how to apply
Read http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/274.

http://hardwarelogic.com/articles.php?id=5065

They're old, but still valid.

HSF get a CM Hyper 212 Plus. Only $28 and one of the best performance HSF's in the world.

http://www.frostytech.com/top5heatsinks.cfm

3. Unless its a proprietary PSU, any PSU will fit any case, PSU size is an industry standard. Either way, PSU's wear out over time, so definitely pick up a new one.

Can pick up a OCZ 700w one for $50 that'll full fill all your needs.

Other top choices are the Corsair TX line of 550, 650 and 750.

5. Get the CM Hyper 212 plus if you wanna OC.

6. The Heatsink will not attach to a CPU unless it's been designed to fit the CPU's socket type. Not all fans will fit all Heat sinks, especially those Heat sinks with weird designs. Stares at the TT SpinQ....

7. I also have a 80gb X25-M, but it's not big enough for all my apps and games. I use a spinpoint F3 for rest of games and apps and 1 TB Caviar Green for media storage (they were cheapest $/GB at the time i bought em). Think the 1.5 TB caviar greens are the cheapest now.

8. Correct, a slower GPU will mostly affect gaming, with the exception of a few specialized industry software. However, if you go too slow, then you run into problems playing DVD's, HD streams and Blue Rays especially. Basically, you want a GPU can can process 1020p video, which almost any modern GPU outside of Integrated ones can do.

Thanks again! I'll learn how to apply the paste. As for teh HSF, Those won't work, as that's for an intel socket, right? Any idea of some good ones in that price range for an AMD3 Socket?

As for the PSU, it's an elongated one for this specific Dell case that covers the entire bottom of the case. It's pretty nice...is there some place I can check the current efficiency? Other than that, though, I'm going to ride it until it dies, 'cause it's good enough for my needs....I think. If I hit a wall in overclocking, or you guys tell me my amperages aren't enough, then I might get a whole new case and everything.

Also, as for teh fans, the PSU on the bottom has 2 little fans for air flow through the bottom unit, plus a side fan, then the case has a fan, in addition to the 2 fans on teh case as I've described that take care of the heatsink coming off the CPU...if I buy one of these new HSF, that'll add another fan...the only thing i worry about is noise...any ideas for that?

m
l
January 5, 2010 11:03:35 PM

bliq said:

As others have said, as long as it's functioning well, it's fine. I've read somewhere that PSU efficiency goes down over time. I have no proof that that's a fact but keep it in mind. If you're going to replace, there are better options than the Dell and for less than $100.

Well, once you took the HSF off, the factory thermal compound is no longer usable really. I mean you could, but it wouldn't be optimal. The AS you bought will be fine. Read up on how to apply it properly- you don't just goop it on.

If you're not trying to break speed records, you're probably ok. Do all those fans have a place to plug into on the motherboard?

It probably won't fit unless it's one of those adjustable ones. In that case, it still may not work because you probably don't have the extra mounting hardware.

Probably not.

$100 will often buy a GTS250 from Fry's or online- they are definitely good enough to game with good eye candy if you don't push resolutions too high.

$30-40 should be plenty to buy a top notch HSF. I spent just $22 on my Hyper 212+ but that's for socket 775/1156/1366. Stock heatsinks have been getting better all the time- the intel ones with C2D were good for 25+% OCs back in the E6300 days. Whether you need one or not depends highly on how hard you're going to push it.

Thank you! 2 things:

1) I haven't taken the stock heatsink off, but from everyone's comments, it sounds like i should and get a better one, and use the thermal compound on it, too. agree/disagree?

2) Do you have a HSF for AMD3 socket you think is good? I would like to, if possible, push the system to whatever my PSU will allow...and in the future, consider buying a new PSU to do so...so, I might as well set up the MOBO and CPU with the best, and I can always add on in the future, right?

m
l
January 5, 2010 11:03:53 PM

Does it list wattage for the 12V rails combined? Something doesnt add up. If you subtract the 165W for the 5V rail and the 132W for the 3.3V rail that only leaves a combined 180W (or 15 amps) fon the 12V rails. If the 12V rails were truly independent (unlikely) then it would be a 165+132+204+204 = 705W PSU.

Are you sure you dont already have the 650W PSU, it should match those numbers much better. If it was the 650 that would leave 29A combined on the two 17 amp rails which would be about what I would expect and power your GPU ok.
m
l
January 5, 2010 11:04:56 PM

Mafia2020 said:
Questions:
Should suffice, since you got only one HDD and it is a SSD.

Stock works just fine, special one might be slightly better though, in case of OC.

Depends on how much you wanna OC.

RAM works no matter the CPU, so yes, it is bull, unless they were referring to the fact that is DDR3 and fits in the new sockets.

If you can live with that, I see no problems.

Stock = Sucks.

With 500W you can safely run up to 3 HDDs plus the rest.

You're welcome.

Thank you, too!

Thanks for the PSU assessment. Do you know of any HSF for AMD3 that are good? Do you think I have much wiggle room to OC with this PSU?
m
l
January 5, 2010 11:07:24 PM

The CM Hyper 212 Plus works for AMD sockets. It works for any modern CPU actually due to it's very unique and innovative mount .

Quote:
Compatibility Intel: Socket LGA1366 / 1156 / 775
AMD: Socket AM3 / AM2 / AM2+

It'll take you a few min to figure out how to use mount the first time =D

Better off just getting a new PSU and Case. Your's is pretty bad as I mentioned.

If you're on a budget, the Antec 200 or 300 is fine in the $40-$60 range. For ~$80 after MIR go with the HAF 922.

m
l
January 5, 2010 11:08:35 PM

The Gen 5 uses a modified ATX motherboard on a removable tray,the case has 6 expansion slots where a standard ATX case has 7, the chances of your new motherboard lining up are extremely slim.
The front panel connector for the Gen 5 case is also a proprietary Dell design.

That $100 you would have used to upgrade the psu were it neccessary, will buy you a new case and power supply to put your new components into.
m
l
January 5, 2010 11:11:08 PM

dndhatcher said:
Does it list wattage for the 12V rails combined? Something doesnt add up. If you subtract the 165W for the 5V rail and the 132W for the 3.3V rail that only leaves a combined 180W (or 15 amps) fon the 12V rails. If the 12V rails were truly independent (unlikely) then it would be a 165+132+204+204 = 705W PSU.

Are you sure you dont already have the 650W PSU, it should match those numbers much better. If it was the 650 that would leave 29A combined on the two 17 amp rails which would be about what I would expect and power your GPU ok.

thanks for actually doing the math dnd! I thought something didn't look right with the numbers!
m
l
January 5, 2010 11:13:27 PM

dndhatcher said:

Far too much going on there.
The Dell 460 has a combined 12v output capacity of 32 amps.
m
l
January 5, 2010 11:14:48 PM

delluser1 said:
The Gen 5 uses a modified ATX motherboard on a removable tray,the case has 6 expansion slots where a standard ATX case has 7, the chances of your new motherboard lining up are extremely slim.

That $100 you would have used to upgrade the psu were it neccessary, will buy you a new case and power supply to put your new components into.

And this is why I hate all things proprietary, and why everyone here tells you to just build your own pc :D 
m
l
January 6, 2010 12:27:09 AM

delluser1 said:
Far too much going on there.
The Dell 460 has a combined 12v output capacity of 32 amps.

You mean not enough going on there. That would indicate that the 3.3, 5 and 12V1 rails probably share amperage like this old antec PSU (see the output table at the bottom).
http://www.antec.com/specs/SP450_spe.html
m
l
January 6, 2010 12:33:06 AM

No, I meant what I said
m
l
January 6, 2010 1:03:25 AM

17+17=34 guys. 34amps is plenty. also dell used to be a quality company back when he bought that and they would under rate their psus. he should be fine
m
l
January 6, 2010 1:24:15 AM

Well the concern here is the +12 V Amperage.

If he gets say a 5850 which is think uses 14A on the +12, that + some other components puts him very uneasily close to the PSU ability. IF the 12V1 rail is in fact shared, and the 6 pin is on that rail, then no way he'd run a 5850.

That's why multi rail PSU's are such a pain to work with, and why we're trying to figure out exactly how much +12V A he's got.

If he can put the GPU on a +12V unshared rail by itself, then he probably won't have any issues outside a 5870, 5970, or 295/285/275 as long as he doesn't SLI/Xfire.
m
l
January 6, 2010 1:45:14 AM

Hey guys, lemme step in. The PSU someone added a pic from is exactly what mine says. What should I do to determine how the +12s are shared? I can take inventory of each cord coming out and describe them as best i can,. though I'm not familiar with all connectors. What do you guys need from me to figure this out?

But, overall, let's sum up, and let me know if I'm off base:

1) The Items I got are fine, and I should go ahead and open them up (don't spend the $50 to get the 790GT)

2) The HSF should be swapped for SOMETHING better (ideas?) and the thermal paste I bought should be used in this manner

3) the case I have with the PSU I have is fine for my current GPU setup, pending the assessment of the shared +12 cabling, but If I want to get a new Graphics card, or overclock at all, I probably want a new case and PSU, which will be $100 for a "good" one for my needs.

4) (New question) If I get a new case, and since I have all those components from the dell, and all those fans, can they be planted in the new case...including the media card reader? Also, if I go this route, since I have a SSD, what would I need to spend to get a very quiet system, but one that has the cooling to allow enough potential overclocking?? Is it either power or quietness? I figure if i get a new case, I should get some nice, quiet fans for it, too, right? What do you think? I think I could convince my wife that I can spend $30 or so for the HSF, but the $100 for the case and $$$??? for the fans will be tough, but as you all said, that's something I can do over time, right? After I get the new HSF, I can put everything together at stock in my current case, and upgrade cases and PSU in the future to allow OCing???

THANK YOU ALL!
m
l
January 6, 2010 2:04:05 AM

jcarrey42 said:
I can put everything together at stock in my current case

Reread my first post.
m
l
January 6, 2010 3:28:03 AM

delluser1 said:
Reread my first post.

"The Gen 5 uses a modified ATX motherboard on a removable tray,the case has 6 expansion slots where a standard ATX case has 7, the chances of your new motherboard lining up are extremely slim.

That $100 you would have used to upgrade the psu were it neccessary, will buy you a new case and power supply to put your new components into."

All I need is for it to fit and plug in and work, even if it's not perfect, until I can convince myself to spend the money for a new case and PSU. Can I do that? I guess I don't understand what you're saying, to be frank. The front panel connector for what? Basically, could I put everything into this case for now and in 2 months or whenever, upgrade the case and PSU for a true fit and for overclockability? Thanks again for all your posts, having a Dell expert is very helpful!
m
l
January 6, 2010 1:04:16 PM

jcarrey42 said:

All I need is for it to fit and plug in and work, even if it's not perfect, until I can convince myself to spend the money for a new case and PSU. Can I do that? I guess I don't understand what you're saying, to be frank. The front panel connector for what? Basically, could I put everything into this case for now and in 2 months or whenever, upgrade the case and PSU for a true fit and for overclockability? Thanks again for all your posts, having a Dell expert is very helpful!

What he means is that the Dell case is proprietary and will not fit the mobo you purchased. IE you must buy a new case. If the front panel is proprietary as well then the media reader also might not work.

I've told you the CM Hyper 212 Plus 3x now as a new HSF....

You can get a new case and a new PSU for $100. Check the stuff I linked earlier.

New cases come with fans so you don't need to purchase any extra.
m
l
January 6, 2010 1:11:18 PM

As for whether or not your PSU has shared rails etc. That info is usually posted on manufacturer website, but it ain't on the dell website anymore since it's so old, if it was ever there...

Just do everyone a favor and get a new PSU with a single +12V rail at least 30A.

17 A is maybe ok for the new 5xxx series 5850 or lower, but if you get a 4xxx or GTX 260 or higher, then you run into current issues as those GPU's use much more power than the 5xxx series.
m
l
January 6, 2010 1:55:50 PM

Like you said, 5850 or lower would be ok on the existing power supply.
The only way to upgrade would be to find a 650 watt Dell, that will end up costing close to $100.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2004...*I7&GUID=daaac42f1250a02653009880fdce482e&itemid=200419485958&ff4=263602_263622
m
l
January 6, 2010 2:01:51 PM

Yea >.<

But that PSU is what 4 or 5 yrs old now? Meh, I say just spend $100 and get a OCZ 700W and an antec 300. He'll be much happier, and his new mobo will actually fit!

edit: I'm not thrilled recommending a 4rail PSU, but at least I know it's dependable and has it's 6 pin connectors on separate rails from everything else.
m
l
January 6, 2010 2:09:54 PM

banthracis said:
Meh, I say just spend $100 and get a OCZ 700W and an antec 300. He'll be much happier, and his new mobo will actually fit!

I agree.
m
l
January 6, 2010 3:59:10 PM

Great advice, all around, the tough part's going to be picking a "best answer!"

I found this:

...so I bought it...It's on its way. I figure $110 adter MIR and after shipping is pretty good for thos 2 recommended parts!

Also, I will be heading over to Microcenter to pick up the Cooler Master Hyper 212+ at lunch, which also looks like a great selection!

Thank you so much!

I'll read through installation guides, but I bet I'll be on later when I need help!

One last time, though, with all this equipment, I should stay with the mobo I bought, I don't need the upgraded one, right? Also, this PSU with the split +12V is OK, right?
m
l
January 6, 2010 4:05:47 PM

Smart move.
m
l
January 6, 2010 4:09:20 PM

Yep, everything looks great. The HAF 922 is definitely the better case, that combo you found is amazing.

The OCZ is fine because we know for a fact that it doesn't combine rails and that the 2 6 pin's are on separate rails away from everything else, so your GPU will have the full 18A all to itself. Only think it might not run are the 2GPU's on a stick cards. IE 4870x2, 295 and 5970, but those are very high end cards anyway.
m
l
January 6, 2010 4:28:51 PM

the 5850 only draws 12.5 amps at max
m
l
!