Crucial M4 128 for $196

mikeny

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006
Ok, what gives???? The Crucial M4 128GB SSD is down to $196??? Is there a new one on the horizon? I was watching this SSD and if INtel will come out with the 520 soon.

Solution
Samsung has a proven track record. I noticed Samsung did take a hit in the user reviews at Newegg but it wasn't about performance.Most of the complaints were about trying to access and download the free game during a recent promotion. There were some frustrated gamers.

The Crucial m4 did have an issue a while back but a firmware update took care of it. Not only that but the firmware update also boosted performance. The m4's that are being sold now come with the firmware update.

In all probability you will not notice any difference between the two. You would have to run a benchmark utility to be able to measure the difference. Both should be okay but my preference is Samsung. At this point I am tempted to say go for the best price.

mikeny - Every once in a while sale prices go down to $1.00/GB. Last Summer I purchased a 96GB ssd for $99.99 from newegg.com. A few months ago I purcahsed a Samsung 470 SATA 2 3Gb/s 256GB ssd for $259.99 from a regional electronics chain in the midwest. Yesterday while doing some research I accidently stumbled across a couple of last minute Christmas deals. Yesterday Newegg had a 128GB Samsung ssd for $148.99. It was on their daily deal page so it was only for one day. I also ran across the Crucial m4 128GB for $148.99 but it was at a vendor I did not recognize. I can't even remember the name of the site.

A price of $1.00 per GB is about as good as it gets. Just have to be patient, wait, and check prices constantly.

No news from Micron/Crucial or Intel.

mikeny

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006

Jack, those Tier 3's are Sandforce; I'm a little hesitant. I saw the Samsung that seems to be popular but the feeback seems to take a hit.

Johnny, any real difference between the crucial m4 or samsung 830? Both are on sale. Samsung at least comes with the plate while Crucial's doesnt.

Samsung has a proven track record. I noticed Samsung did take a hit in the user reviews at Newegg but it wasn't about performance.Most of the complaints were about trying to access and download the free game during a recent promotion. There were some frustrated gamers.

The Crucial m4 did have an issue a while back but a firmware update took care of it. Not only that but the firmware update also boosted performance. The m4's that are being sold now come with the firmware update.

In all probability you will not notice any difference between the two. You would have to run a benchmark utility to be able to measure the difference. Both should be okay but my preference is Samsung. At this point I am tempted to say go for the best price.

Solution

mikeny

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006

Great, thanks Johnny. Saw the feedback about the download of the game which doesn't matter to me, the game doesn't t :) I saw one person having problems with the Marvell controller.