Sign in with
Your question
Solved

$1200 i5 gaming build

Last response: in Systems
January 5, 2010 4:48:10 PM

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: ASAP

BUDGET RANGE: $1200 +/- $100

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming (FPS/RPG mostly, some RTS). If this computer can game it can do everything else I want it to as well.

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: Peripherals, OS (although if someone could mention a well priced, good set of speakers that would be much appreciated)

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: newegg.ca (I'm Canadian eh!) www.pccyber.com

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: Canada (Ontario)

PARTS PREFERENCES: Intel i5

OVERCLOCKING: Yes

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Maybe leaning towards no (based on the motherboard I've chosen below). Perhaps someone can change my mind?

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1920:1080

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: I have most things picked out, maybe you guys can help me trim a few dollars and convince me one way or another on SLI/Xfire

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CPU: Intel i5-750 $219.99

Mobo: GIGABYTE UD3P $169.99 (chosen because of the USB 3.0 and SATA 6Gb/s but only has 1 PCI-Ex2 slot, is this ok for my needs or should I go Xfire?)

Case: Trying to decide between the HAF 922 and HAF 932. Any input would be great
HAF 922 $109.99
HAF 932 $139.99

GPU: Gigabyte HD 5850 $325.99 (This is what is killing my budget right now. Should I opt for a cheaper one?)

PSU: Corsair 650TX $109.99

RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws 4GB $99.99

HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 $79.99 (The Spinpoint F3 is not available on Canadian Newegg for some reason....)

Optical Drive: Sony Optiarc Black $32.99

Total before MIR = $1148.92

Now if this can be trimmed at all that would be great (as spending less for nearly the same quality always makes me smile).

Thanks a lot for your help.

Edit: I've forgotten about the aftermarket cooler, can someone suggest a good one for the 1156 socket?

More about : 1200 gaming build

Best solution

January 5, 2010 5:19:02 PM

Mobo: You will not be able to Crossfire with that board. A good one that's only $20 more would be the ASUS P7P55D-E Pro for $200. It's also got the new ports.

Case: 922. It's got a rebate right now, and just a slightly smaller version of the 932, but not small enough to really matter.

PSU: OCZ StealthXStream 700W $90 before rebate. It's cheaper, bigger, and still quality.

GPU: That's a great one. Leave it at all costs.

RAM: For $5 more, get the CAS Latency 7 Ripjaws. A really good upgrade for (almost) nothing.

HDD: Look elsewhere for the F3. It's worth it. If you still can't find it, the Seagate will do.

Optical: Save a few bucks with this drive: Samsung 22x SATA DVD Burner $30

Cooler: Coolermaster Hyper 212 $30

Total: ~$1,191

Unfortunately, to get a better build, it's going to cost you a little more. You can't really trim the price anywhere in your build without hurting it (except the PSU and optical). At least it's under budget...
January 5, 2010 5:39:43 PM

Excellent, thanks a lot for the advice. As for mail in rebates, if there is a mail in rebate for a newegg product, but I can find the part cheaper on a different site, would I be able to use the newegg rebate if I buy it at another retailer?
m
l
Related resources
January 5, 2010 5:48:29 PM

Doubt it. The rebates are site retailer specific for the most part. If not, the other sites would list it as well.
m
l
January 5, 2010 5:49:50 PM

You can see this. It has little less latency timings though!
m
l
January 5, 2010 5:52:25 PM

Well, thanks a lot MadAdmiral, I think I might start ordering some parts today or tomorrow. As for penslam, you should note that your RAM is only 2GB, which really isn't enough anymore, especially if you plan on running a x64 OS (which I do), but thanks for the help.
m
l
January 5, 2010 6:04:10 PM

mavanhel said:
Well, thanks a lot MadAdmiral, I think I might start ordering some parts today or tomorrow. As for penslam, you should note that your RAM is only 2GB, which really isn't enough anymore, especially if you plan on running a x64 OS (which I do), but thanks for the help.

Oh! shame on me..I misread it at newegg lol! Goodluck with your new gaming rig. BTW, I too have an i5 rig and built it a month back, although I got Sapphire 4890HD.
m
l
January 6, 2010 5:22:23 PM

Hmm....I was just thinking, and I have one last question. Do you think it would be beneficial to get an even bigger PSU so that I do have the opportunity to XFire in the future?
m
l
January 6, 2010 5:38:06 PM

That PSU is large enough to Crossfire later. Really, you only need 550W-600W to XFire.
m
l
January 6, 2010 5:40:47 PM

But it only have 2 6-pin PCI-E connectors. A single 5850 takes two of them. If I were to run dual 5850s in the future I would need a different PSU correct? So what I'm really asking is whether or not I should XFire in the future. I've had no experience with it (or SLI for that matter) and don't know much about the performance boost it gives.
m
l
January 6, 2010 6:10:39 PM

I personally don't think Crossfire is worth it. By the time you'll need it, there will be better single card solutions out there for roughly the same price as a Crossfire solution.

That isn't a low end card. It's almost top of the line. It will be good to go for upwards of 3-4 years. After which, you'll probably need an entirely new build to keep gaming.

That said, there are a lot of adapters out there. I can't say for certain one will work for sure, but I can't imagine there isn't one.
m
l
January 6, 2010 6:16:42 PM

Alright, thanks a lot for you help. I just talked to a computer store nearby and they said that they can price match newegg (and even beat in some cases) so I think I'll be getting most stuff in the next few days. Thanks once again for your help.
m
l
January 6, 2010 6:21:12 PM

Hey, found your thread, time to reciprocate. :D 

About the crossfire being more expensive than a new card I don't get. I myself have plans to buy someones "old" or swapped out 5850 later on to xfire with it. Will cost me a fraction of buying a new card. Crossfire will of course require higher wattage on the PSU. Then again, if you are overclocking, which you should, then that will almost definitely be necessary anyway.
m
l
January 6, 2010 6:27:48 PM

It's not that it's more expensive, it's just not as viable. By the time you need to Crossfire, your entire computer will be out of date, which means an upgrade. At that point, there will be better single cards than Crossfired old cards and/or new tech that makes old cards pointless (see the DirectX updates that made recommending the 4xxx series pointless). Therefore, if you buy top of the line cards, you will have no use for Crossfiring.

However, if you're on a budget, and buying something like the 5750 or 5770, then the cards may only last you a year or two, at which point the old tech isn't obsolete. This is what makes Crossfire viable. It's only reasonable if you're buying lower end tech which will need to be updated soon.
m
l
January 6, 2010 6:32:11 PM

Well, I guess there's just some logic you can't deny. There's not really any point in getting another 5850 in 3 years after DX12 comes out (assuming it comes out before that). Thanks again.
m
l
!