Sign in with
Your question

Cpu upgrade for gateway mx3210

Last response: in CPUs
March 11, 2010 11:40:29 PM

Hi ,
Is it possible to upgrade this computer?
I'm am a songwriter and plan on writing music using a midi/audio sequencer application. For that I need addition cpu power.
If not, please let me know.
Any other options that I might take.

Thanks ahead of time.

A.Baker.
March 11, 2010 11:59:59 PM

Hello and welcome to Tom's Hardware Forums, anyway can you please tell me what computer you have. List specific components like the brand of computer if it is pre-built, if not the brand of the power supply: the big metal brick where the power cord is plugged into, if you can find it your motherboard chipset: the big squarish grid everything is attached to, and anything else you think I should know. You are correct assume that sound sequencing and the like are very CPU intensive, but also list you budget for your upgrades.
m
l
March 12, 2010 12:05:38 AM

Unfortunately, you can't upgrade a notebook's inner components other than memory. I forgot to read the title, anyway in theory you can try to open it up to upgrade but the risk versus trade-off is great as a noteook CPU is designed for power efficiency, not raw power, there are notebook CPUs on sale on Newegg but it isn't guarenteed to work.
m
l
Related resources
March 12, 2010 5:20:15 AM

Thanks Mister G for the reply.
Would you happen to know about small footprint,(mini) computers that can be noiseless, no real moving parts. I saw this somewhere years ago, sort of a DIY thing.
Solid state storage, no fans, heatsinks I think, unknown processor, could be dualcore, not sure.
I f you don't know, perhaps you could point me to a source that does.
Interesting idea, because as I'm writing this on my dell notebook, I am hearing fan noise.

Thanks again for all of your help, great advise.
Webicon
m
l
!