Noctua NH-D14 overclocking?

Tuuupeee

Honorable
Aug 1, 2012
Hey, I just bought new cooler called Noctua NH-D14 and I'm maybe having a bit high temps in idle?

Processor is Phenom X6 1075t.

http://i49.tinypic.com/25z3u2o.png

Can temps be right?

On stress test I went over 55, so I stopped test. When I overclock should I look Core #0-5 temps, TMPIN0 or TMPIN1?

Im confused at the moment. :eek:

Tuuupeee

Honorable
Aug 1, 2012

Normal amount, but I changed my processor cooler, can that old thermal paste mess it up? I tried to clean my processor, but without alcohol.

You should replace the thermal paste!!!! That's why you're getting these horrid temperatures is because you didn't replace your paste for this install!

DarkOutlaw

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2012
What's wrong with 36c? Depending on ambient temps I wouldn't think this is that bad. Definately get rid of all that old thermal paste. Use rubbing alcohol to remove the old paste.

Tuuupeee

Honorable
Aug 1, 2012

Of course I replaced the thermal paste, you did not get it, but anyways, I re-installed the cooler and Im having same temps.

Tuuupeee

Honorable
Aug 1, 2012

TMPIN0 and TMPIN1, which one is CPU temperature?

Core Temps and Package temps.

Tuuupeee

Honorable
Aug 1, 2012

What is package temp? So I shouldn't care about "TMPIN0" ? I only should care about core temps, right?

djscribbles

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012
TMPIN0 & TMPIN1 are not your CPU core temps, I don't know what they are because the group they are under isn't shown in your screenshot and I'm not super familiar with the layout of CPUz, but I would guess that they are Case or PSU temps or something, or temps from the CPU cooler (and not the cores themselves, which is what matters).

Tuuupeee

Honorable
Aug 1, 2012

Well lets say that max temp is 60C, so what temperature meter should I look at? I mean if I'm overclocking and I know that the max temp is 60C. What meter shouldn't go over 60? Core temps?

djscribbles

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012

That would be my guess. I am not much into overclocking, so someone else could inform you better, I just felt I could help clarify what you are looking at to you.

Are you sure that 60C is the magic number, I was under the impression that processors were good into the 70s usually; but as I said, I'm not an expert. You may want to find a guide for overclocking an AMD FX CPU if you are new to the process.

The number you want to watch is the Core's they are the internal sensor on the cpu it self.

I think AMD is a bit over cautious with the 60c(62c) spec, but thats the number you want to look at.

The other sensors may be the board sensor for the cpu and cause or chipset, but it is more calibrated to control the fan and shut down in case it gets WAY too hot.

So you are at 47c you have some room to overclock. now get to it :)

Tuuupeee

Honorable
Aug 1, 2012

+1. Nice answer, now to clocking >

If this is your first overclocking, take it slow and realize that at some point, heat and power draw will get very high(because you will need more and more voltage). That is the point to stop for me at lease(past this, you start to get into very high temps for little gains in actual performance).

The NH D14 is one of the BEST quiet performance coolers you can get. I think you will have some good times with it :)
Just make sure you have some air flow in the case to get rid of extra heat.

Tuuupeee

Honorable
Aug 1, 2012

I'm at 3.5GHz at the moment and having nice temps. 55c MAX :)!

And about my air flow: I have Antec DF-35 case which has 4 coolers + I have one in sidepanel. So I think they are okay :)?

http://store.antec.com/productimages/Originals/root/DF35_LED_QBE.jpg

For me 24H is the goal, but it depends on how much you want to worry about it. Very few day to day activities will stress like prime, but some things can(video encoding with the cpu can be a heavy load for instance).