Computer locks up fairly often... asus ai suite 2 auto overclocked

brickparatrooper

Honorable
Aug 1, 2012
Ok so I'm not quite sure what the problem is and it could be from a couple of possible problems. I recently built two new computers for my wife and I and after tweaking one of my computer with the auto overclock feature my computer completely locks up from time to time. They are both almost identical with asus m5a99x motherboards, amd fx8150 cpus, radeon hd 6970 graphics and corsair 60 gB ssd boot drives. The only difference in the two systems is the power supply and hdd storage drives. I have a 750 W 8 plus bronze cert. Roswell power supply from my old comp. and she has a new 850 W 80 plus bronze cert power supply. The hard drive is where we could have an issue (but I think the problem lies in the overclock). My hdd is a 2 tB seagate barracuda that has all my old drivers and such on it while hers is a clean 1.5 tB seagate barracuda.

After I got the systems built I installed all the latest drivers etc including the Asus AI Suite II that has all kinda of fancy tools including an auto overclock feature. I decided to test this out and hit the overclock button and it overclocked to 15% over from 3.6 to about 4.1 then the computer shut down abruptly. I started the computer again and everything seemed to be running fine and i gave it one more try. it overclocked it to nearly 30% before it reported as unstable and backed off (I had every intention to back it back down to 15% I just wanted to see what it would do). I hit the restore to default button and noticed that my cpu wasn't running at the same settings as my wife's computer when the two of them just had the TPU switch turned to "on" (this motherboard has the tpu and epu switch). According to the Asus AI Suite II my computer is running at a 230 MHz cpu bus/peg Freq., 1.40 cpu voltage, 1.25 cpu/nb voltage, and 1.5 dram voltage with a clock speed of 4.154 GHz (according to cpuz) while my wife's comp is running at a 230 MHz cpu bus/peg Freq., 1.36250 cpu voltage 1.25 cpu/nb voltage and 1.5 dram voltage with a clock speed of 4.154 MHz. so they are running at the same clock speed but her cpu voltage is at 1.3625 while mine is at 1.40 and when I try to change it in the asus ai suite it goes back to those settings when i restart the comp.

Now forgive me for being so long winded I just want to be thorough. Another possible source of the problem could maybe be the old hard drive with all the old drivers installed on it but it's not the boot drive so i wouldn't think those drivers are coming into play. Oh and I have tried resetting cmos and the settings were the same when using the tpu switch as they were before.

so a simple recap-
................................my computer is running @-.....................................her comp is running @-
CPU bus/PEG Freq...................230 MHz..........................................................230 MHz
CPU Voltage...........................1.40 V............................................................1.3625 V
CPU/NB Voltage......................1.25 v............................................................1.25 v
DRAM Voltage.........................1.5 v..............................................................1.5 v
Clock speed..........................4154 MHz........................................................4154 MHz

-Mine locks up, hers doesn't (not to mention I would love to know that the two systems are running identical to one another)
-I messed with the asus ai suite II auto overclocking program (maybe it's called TurboV EVO poweredby TPU) and she didn't
-there is the possibility that my old drivers are interfearing that are on my second hard drive

system info-

m5a99x motherboards
amd fx8150 cpus
radeon hd 6970 graphics
corsair 60 gB ssd boot drives
2 tB seagate barracuda hdd (with the old drivers from an old computer and such)
750 W 80 plus bronze certified rosewil hive power supply (hers is 850 W)
8 gB g-skill ares ram (2x 4 gB)
coolermaster hyper 212 evo cpu fans

Thank you for being patient with that post. If there is anything I forgot just ask.

eXistenZ

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2011
I just quickly read through the OP.

Doesn't it cause a lot of problems when you try to OC with the TPU switch on? Isn't it the case that you have to have both TPU and EPU off if you want to make software changes in bios? That there is conflict between hardware and software changes ?

-Uninstall the program

-check voltage in the BIOS

Using auto overclock software isn't a good idea. It might give you an estimate on where it should be, but I never trust it. Better to make the changes manually in the BIOS and make sure to stress test them yourself afterwards.

brickparatrooper

Honorable
Aug 1, 2012

I only ever overclocked my computer with the program, not hers. All I did on hers is switch the tpu. On mine I had the epu and the tpu off and oced it. after I reset the cmos it went back to 3.6 GHz but then I switched the tpu all the settings were exsactly as it had been (the ones that I stated above).

I don't really see what the problem is. The Auto OC function of the program obviously didn't work well - as we've said, they suck. The TPU is basically the exact same thing, it's just an auto-OC feature. Can't expect auto OC anything to be perfect. Chances are, though, yours requires more voltage because it's a slightly worse/less efficient CPU. All CPUs are unique, some can OC better than others.

So, turn off TPU switch, uninstall the software, reset the CMOS, and start from scratch. If an OCed PC is locking up or crashing, then the OC is bad! Doesn't matter if it was a motherboard switch or a software program that did it.

Additionally, why not disable TPU and try having a go at it by hand?