Ram for P7P55 WS with I-7 870

ntrlsmrt

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2010
Need to get 4Gb kit of ddr3 1600 ram for Asus P7P55 WS supercomputer with I-7 870.
Wanted a kit of two 2GB sticks of low latency (7 preferred). has to be 1.65 volts or less.
Would like one of the performance PC3-12800 high quality ram manufacturers, but have been able to find what I need on any of the configurators, under their guaranteed fit.

Looked for Class1: Samsung, Micron, Infineon, Hynix , but was unable to find them.

ASUS manual has an hodge podge of different manufacturers, with various kits, most of which either look good, and are no longer sold, or have high latency. Some recommended have voltages above 1.65, and they say not to use them if they are above 1.65 volts, in another place...P7P55 ws

After reading a lot on here and other linked sites, I tried to find the four high quality ones, but have not done so with finality. If you have this configuration, or know exactly what will work, please link to the ram with information that it will work.

Only thing that I am fairly sure on is a corsair balistic1600. But they recommend the slow ram 1066.

CPU I-7 870
P7P55 WS P7P55 WS supercomputer

Thanks, any info and recommendations area appreciated. Please include any reasons, info, and links if ya have something.
Thanks, D.

Solution

ntrlsmrt

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2010
Is there any difference in the two ripjaws?

Also, the corsair appears to have better timings. Will it make a difference?

Thanks, These look like what I needed. The board manual is just poor on compatibility.
D.

ntrlsmrt

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2010
Does this look good? I was just answered by Sean at Mushkin
996805RAM
He said that it will work well and is very popular.
I think that it is on the list as performance or #1 manufacturers, or something in the guide.

The timings are 6-8-6-24 and the specs are DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Redline at 1.65 volts.

He also sent 996782
timings are not as good.

Also 996825 which is low voltage 1.35
but the timings are not as good.

Does this make a difference when compared to the 7-8-7-24-2n Gskills?

6-8-6 vs 7-8-7 Is this a noticeable difference, Is this worth anything, or to small to make any difference?

Thanks for your help so far. I had given up on getting a response from the ram vendors. In general they do not seem to be a responsive bunch ;)

The small difference in price between the corsair, the gskill, and the Mushkin does not matter to me. I just want to get the best ram for my board and chip, and not have to mess with it again. ;)

I assume that all of the choices are equal quality, etc...

Thanks for your help, and that will be all from me. I would apreciate the further explaination, but you have already gave me great advice and several choices, when I was unsure of any RAM before your input.

D.

Mushkin is a fine manufacturer too bad you weren't shopping for it a few days ago.
Ncix had a Mushkin sale for example the Frostbyte Redline CL6 was on for $102.99.
That being said the ram i linked you is high quality the difference between the G.skills is one is low voltage ECO and the other is Ripjaws line.
Newegg makes a few mistakes on some of their descriptions the Ripjaws kit is actually 1.6v not 1.65.
Like i said i have that kit and, highly recommend it, the price is right and the shipping is free.
I think you'll be very pleased with it i know i am.

Solution

One is low voltage.
The difference in timings is negligible.
Motherboard and ram manufacturer's compatibility list are seriously inadequate.
Each produce way too many models to keep up and test for compatability.