Sign in with
Your question

So, are the components I've chosen compatible and good?

Last response: in Overclocking
August 1, 2012 8:51:11 PM

Hello.

I've come to the moment where I've selected all of the components for my cpu loop. Are they all compatible? Are they good at the price tag? Have I got absolutely everything I need? See link below.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/836/skrmbillede201...

PS: My case doesn't allow for thicker rad.

Thanks in advance.
a c 330 K Overclocking
August 1, 2012 8:54:43 PM

Your tubing/fittings are mismatched. What's with the Mayhem's dye stuff?

Quote:
PS: My case doesn't allow for thicker rad.

...meaning, you don't mod?

Quote:
Are they all compatible?

Compatible? Not sure what you mean? Watercooling parts are all compatible if you chose what works for your loop. They are like Legos; you pick the pieces that you need to build what you want. If you do that, they are compatible.
a b K Overclocking
August 1, 2012 11:11:29 PM

I don't think your selection is very educated, and suggest you read up on the Watercooling Sticky some more.

I would suggest an XSPC Raystorm RS240 kit rather than piecing this together - it has the same pump, block, better rad/fans for less money.

I wouldn't ever think of using Noctua fans on a radiator since they're mostly ultra-low RPM fans, which will not perform on a radiator.
Related resources
August 1, 2012 11:20:11 PM

boiler1990 said:
I don't think your selection is very educated, and suggest you read up on the Watercooling Sticky some more.

I would suggest an XSPC Raystorm RS240 kit rather than piecing this together - it has the same pump, block, better rad/fans for less money.

I wouldn't ever think of using Noctua fans on a radiator since they're mostly ultra-low RPM fans, which will not perform on a radiator.

I agree. I just put together a XSPC Raystorm kit (with a few extras) and it is a great deal and I am getting great performance. Be ready to have a pretty good fight bleeding the air out of the system with that res though. The return to the res turns right back into the pump, making it hard to get the air to go to the top of the res before the pump sucks it back in. I found that if you obstruct the path between the return tube and the inlet (without blocking off the pump entirely) that you can get the air out much easier. Also if you get the variable pump with the kit, It helps to slow the speed during this process. Check those kits out though, and goodluck!
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/277798-29-water-cooli... here's a link to how mine turned out
August 2, 2012 4:35:45 PM

Pschu said:
I agree. I just put together a XSPC Raystorm kit (with a few extras) and it is a great deal and I am getting great performance. Be ready to have a pretty good fight bleeding the air out of the system with that res though. The return to the res turns right back into the pump, making it hard to get the air to go to the top of the res before the pump sucks it back in. I found that if you obstruct the path between the return tube and the inlet (without blocking off the pump entirely) that you can get the air out much easier. Also if you get the variable pump with the kit, It helps to slow the speed during this process. Check those kits out though, and goodluck!
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/277798-29-water-cooli... here's a link to how mine turned out

Thanks for the replies. Even though I'd very much love to buy the kit, the radiator does not fit where I want it to.

What fans at around 20 dBA would you reccomend for my 15 fpi radiator?

Would uv-colored tubing give the same effect as uv liquid?

I'm not on a budget, so I'd very much love to hear your ideas/suggestions.

N' actually I do have to mod antal to fit a 30mm where I want.
a b K Overclocking
August 2, 2012 6:36:28 PM

The RS240 is very close in dimensions to the Alphacool. What exactly won't fit?

Alphacool: 270x120x30 mm (LxWxH)
XSPC: 277x121x35 mm (LxWxH)

15 FPI is somewhere in the middle in terms of FPI count. I would suggest slightly stronger fans like Scythe's Gentle Typhoons or some of the Cougar fans. There are a ton of options, so they'll be easy to find but hard to choose from.

UV-tubing is recommended because you won't have issues with the dye eventually separating from the coolant and clogging your blocks. It comes in many colors; you just have to find the right manufacturer for what you're looking for.
a c 330 K Overclocking
August 2, 2012 6:44:58 PM

I think its that 30mm vs. 35mm thickness being the issue for him specifically.
August 2, 2012 6:54:51 PM

rubix_1011 said:
I think its that 30mm vs. 35mm thickness being the issue for him specifically.

That's correct, however I'm very much considering trying
To mod it to fit the ex240. Like This dude. I want it in the top.

http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showthread.php?t=9979...

What kind of difference in cooling performance would I see between the two?
a c 330 K Overclocking
August 2, 2012 7:10:20 PM

Well....................

This would be a great time to employ my thermal coefficient equation to get an idea. :) 

Quote:
(LxWxH) x 0.00023129193 = Watts dissipated for 10°C delta-T (estimated)
August 2, 2012 7:39:35 PM

rubix_1011 said:
Well....................

This would be a great time to employ my thermal coefficient equation to get an idea. :) 

Quote:
(LxWxH) x 0.00023129193 = Watts dissipated for 10°C delta-T (estimated)

Again, thanks a lot for heling out!

I followed your formula, and Got the following result:

2.248157559600e+02

2.752035124323e+02

This is great and All, but I have 0 idea what this would translate to in degrees celcius?
a c 330 K Overclocking
August 2, 2012 8:45:52 PM

I get:

(972000 x 0.00023129193) = 224.81575596 watts for the Alphacool 240

(1173095 x 0.00023129193) = 271.32740662335 watts for the XSPC EX 240

August 2, 2012 9:44:40 PM

rubix_1011 said:
I get:

(972000 x 0.00023129193) = 224.81575596 watts for the Alphacool 240

(1173095 x 0.00023129193) = 271.32740662335 watts for the XSPC EX 240

Which is exactly the same as my result. While I do understand Wat it means, I don't see how it translates into temperatures. Could you explain?
a c 330 K Overclocking
August 2, 2012 9:55:43 PM

Quote:
Which is exactly the same as my result.

Yes, correct. But I was making more sense for everyone in the thread by showing the typical result in more readable, decimal form.

224.8 watts able to be dissipated vs. 271.3 watts able to be dissipated. The ability to dissipate more heat is better. Now, it doesn't mean you'll get better temps with one or the other since with a CPU only loop you aren't going to be running a TDP that will reach the thermal capacity of either radiator. However, this would be important once you start adding additional components and changing the TDP and delta of your loop.

Long story short- either are perfectly fine for a CPU only loop. Expanding to include a GPU later? Let's discuss.
August 3, 2012 6:21:04 AM

rubix_1011 said:
Quote:
Which is exactly the same as my result.

Yes, correct. But I was making more sense for everyone in the thread by showing the typical result in more readable, decimal form.

224.8 watts able to be dissipated vs. 271.3 watts able to be dissipated. The ability to dissipate more heat is better. Now, it doesn't mean you'll get better temps with one or the other since with a CPU only loop you aren't going to be running a TDP that will reach the thermal capacity of either radiator. However, this would be important once you start adding additional components and changing the TDP and delta of your loop.

Long story short- either are perfectly fine for a CPU only loop. Expanding to include a GPU later? Let's discuss.

Thanks a bunch. I'm gonna be adding a gou, yes. But that is gonna be added along with an EX240/360 rad. Not gonna watercool an SLI setup though. How Would it be with a Dual gpu (e.x 690) along with the cpu?
a c 330 K Overclocking
August 3, 2012 1:21:28 PM

Quote:
How Would it be with a Dual gpu (e.x 690) along with the cpu?

Not sure I understand your question...it's just cooling additional components in a loop. You account for the total heat being added to the loop, add radiators accordingly. If your flow rate suffers, you address your pump situation.

I've run a CPU, 2 GPUs and 2 radiators in my loop for years.
August 3, 2012 10:21:29 PM

rubix_1011 said:
Quote:
How Would it be with a Dual gpu (e.x 690) along with the cpu?

Not sure I understand your question...it's just cooling additional components in a loop. You account for the total heat being added to the loop, add radiators accordingly. If your flow rate suffers, you address your pump situation.

I've run a CPU, 2 GPUs and 2 radiators in my loop for years.

Alright. What compression fittings and what size would you reccomend from aquatuning.de?
August 6, 2012 3:46:10 AM

compression fittings are great for looks and all but i've heard more problems coming from them compared to standard hose compression clips on a barb. I'd say for a beginner wouldnt hoseclamps coupled with barbs be a better choice?
August 6, 2012 2:46:38 PM

CrestfallenDesign said:
compression fittings are great for looks and all but i've heard more problems coming from them compared to standard hose compression clips on a barb. I'd say for a beginner wouldnt hoseclamps coupled with barbs be a better choice?

Well since I'm not new with electronics/computers at all I think that I will be able to handle it. I was just wondering what specific ones that you'd reccomend ;) 
a b K Overclocking
August 6, 2012 3:32:06 PM

Compression fittings aren't difficult to use, since they aren't very different than barbs + clamps. The only part that's different is the clamp part of the compression fitting, and that just screws onto the barb portion.

As for what type, I would just pick ones that look good. I believe all fittings (or almost all) are made out of brass, which won't cause problems in your loop. You have some color choices, but brand doesn't matter all that much. I used Enzotech matte black compression fittings because they were the cheapest I could find :) 
a c 330 K Overclocking
August 6, 2012 3:47:14 PM

I'm thinking along the lines of compression fittings on my next rebuild project. Might as well...
a b K Overclocking
August 6, 2012 7:57:52 PM

The comp fittings are getting nicer too. The ones that swivel look very nice to use, since my biggest issue with my fittings is that I had to make a few attempts because the tubing will tighten up as it rotates and eventually unscrew the fitting.
August 7, 2012 9:26:36 PM

So, from all of your advice, I've came up with my setup. I'm gonna order it soon, so please tell me if anything should be chosen differently ;) 

Also, are the fittings too large for any of the blocks/places where they need to be placed (are there enough space for them)?

Here it is:

Masterkleer 3/8" UV
Mayhem's biocide
Noctua f-12 x2
Noctua nf-s12b flx (for rear exhaust)
XSPC Raystorm
Magicool 240mm rad
X2O 750 Dual bay res/pump
Random 3/8" compression fittings

That's it - advice appreciated.
a b K Overclocking
August 7, 2012 10:43:01 PM

Most CPU blocks will fit up to 3/4" OD compression fittings, and I think the Raystorm won't have an issue with the 5/8" OD fittings.

As a somewhat related sidenote - universal GPU blocks don't tend to work with 3/4" OD fittings, but should work easily with 5/8" OD
!