Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

What do you think of this build...

Last response: in Systems
Share
January 5, 2010 7:11:56 PM

Hi, Im near the end of building my new budget gaming rig, and wanted to know what everyone thinks of it. Will I be able to play most games maxed out with it? I only game at 1440x900, so quite low. Specs:

ASrock N68-S Motherboard
AMD Phenom II x3 720 BE CPU
PowerColor HD 5770 PCS+ (factory overclocked) GPU
2 GB DDR2 667 MHz RAM
250 GB Seagate Hard Drive
Thermaltake Qfan 650w PSU

What do you think of this rig, and I know the Motherboard is cheappy, will it decrease performance in games?? Also the ram isnt the fastest. :??:  Thanks!! :D 

More about : build

a b B Homebuilt system
January 5, 2010 8:42:43 PM

The CPU and graphics card are certainly strong enough to play most games at high-max settings at that resolution.

I dont know anything about that motherboard or if it will work with the good CPU you have chosen.
a b B Homebuilt system
January 5, 2010 8:59:18 PM

Oh ew at the mobo. The rest is fine
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
get that and go DDR3, or if you already have that RAM and are using it as a costsaving measure then get a decent cheap AM2+ with a decent chipset
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Besides the AM3 board all of these are limited at 95 watt TDP (including the one you posted about) which isn't a problem with the CPU you posted, but it is if you want to have an upgrade path (though, really, when anything really new comes out there would probably be versions of it at that level or lower)
Related resources
January 5, 2010 9:00:28 PM

Whats up with the ram?
Today 4gb is the PERFECT amount. Not too much not too little.
January 6, 2010 1:14:37 PM

What's your budget?

I don't like the motherboard
Processor is nice but you could with with an Athlon II X3 to save a tad
video card seems fine
Memory=not enough, you need 4GB
HDD, is this reused? You can get a 320 for under $50
PSU is (in my opinion) garbage compared to other higher quality brands. And I doubt you need that much power, a Corsair 550 would be plenty.
January 6, 2010 1:49:35 PM

memory : change it to 2gb dominator 1066mhz if not to 4gb.
card: 5770 is like 4770 (only dx11 and some other features)

Try to find a 5830, almost same price, but difference is of a great deal.also it can go to 5850 specs by factory cooler.....if you overclock a little. dont get the 5770 coz i returned it and bought the 5830 which i use with a <????!!!!?>pentium 4 extreme , and still gives good results.....
a b B Homebuilt system
January 6, 2010 5:26:32 PM

The 5770 is the same speed as a 4870 or GT260, far faster than a 4770.

I have not seen a mainstream 5830 review and I cant find anywhere selling them (in the US). The rumors are that the 5830 and 5860 should be released Q1 2010, but are not out yet. Where did you get a 5830?
January 6, 2010 8:13:58 PM

dndhatcher said:
The CPU and graphics card are certainly strong enough to play most games at high-max settings at that resolution.

I dont know anything about that motherboard or if it will work with the good CPU you have chosen.


Thanks for the replys, I didnt say that ive already ordered and built all the components exept for the GPU (thats on its way in the post), and ive tested the system using the motherboards onboard graphics. im just waiting for my GPU now. I know that the RAM is too little and the motherboard is cheappy, but I was on a REALLY tight budget. What sort of 3Dmark06 score do you all think Ill get for this system when its finished? Thanks
January 6, 2010 8:16:22 PM

thelivingflesh said:
memory : change it to 2gb dominator 1066mhz if not to 4gb.
card: 5770 is like 4770 (only dx11 and some other features)

Try to find a 5830, almost same price, but difference is of a great deal.also it can go to 5850 specs by factory cooler.....if you overclock a little. dont get the 5770 coz i returned it and bought the 5830 which i use with a <????!!!!?>pentium 4 extreme , and still gives good results.....


I didnt know the 5830 was out yet?? Where did you get one?
a b B Homebuilt system
January 6, 2010 8:34:31 PM

I think you will play most games at max settings at your current resolution and if thats the case your 3dmark score is meaningless. ;) 
January 7, 2010 11:06:30 AM

dndhatcher said:
I think you will play most games at max settings at your current resolution and if thats the case your 3dmark score is meaningless. ;) 

Ok thanks :D 
!