Sign in with
Your question

Noisy CPU Fan

Last response: in Systems
January 5, 2010 8:13:10 PM

I have an AMD Sempron 140 Sargas 2.7GHz (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...) that I put in a HTPC. It's been up and running a a few months now and I find the noise from the stock CPU fan to be an annoyance. It gives of a bit of a high-pithced whine that I can hear above anything but loud talking and action. I even have it stowed in a cabinet underneath the TV and I can still hear it.

Any suggestions on what I can do to mitigate the sound from this fan?

More about : noisy cpu fan

a b B Homebuilt system
January 5, 2010 8:44:16 PM

Replace it with an aftermarket CPU cooler with a quiet fan. Scythe probably makes a quiet CPU cooler that will fit. Check out frostytech.com for some ideas on good quiet coolers.
m
l
January 6, 2010 1:56:00 PM

I've already done a cursory search for aftermarket fans and I'm looking at about $50 for one that supports Socket AM3. I'll try looking on frosty and see if they have anything cheaper.
m
l
Related resources
January 6, 2010 2:29:39 PM

just get the stock cooler again if you donot want to overclock...or a cheap one from zalman.....
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b à CPUs
January 6, 2010 3:19:40 PM

What type of case do you have? If you have a regular tower, you'll have quite a few options. You'll want something with a big fan. Big fans spin slower so their quieter. Here's a very nice one for $30 if it will fit in your case:

COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus Intel Core i5 & Intel Core i7 compatible RR-B10-212P-G1 120mm "heatpipe direct contact" Long life sleeve CPU Cooler - Retail $29.99

Here's a low-profile option:

Scythe Big Shuriken SCBSK-1000 120mm CPU Cooler - Retail $33.99
m
l
January 6, 2010 3:26:44 PM

cooler master cm sphere......quiet, beautiful and temp under control. cheap.....
m
l
!