Noisy CPU Fan

I have an AMD Sempron 140 Sargas 2.7GHz (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103698) that I put in a HTPC. It's been up and running a a few months now and I find the noise from the stock CPU fan to be an annoyance. It gives of a bit of a high-pithced whine that I can hear above anything but loud talking and action. I even have it stowed in a cabinet underneath the TV and I can still hear it.

Any suggestions on what I can do to mitigate the sound from this fan?
5 answers Last reply
More about noisy
  1. Replace it with an aftermarket CPU cooler with a quiet fan. Scythe probably makes a quiet CPU cooler that will fit. Check out frostytech.com for some ideas on good quiet coolers.
  2. I've already done a cursory search for aftermarket fans and I'm looking at about $50 for one that supports Socket AM3. I'll try looking on frosty and see if they have anything cheaper.
  3. just get the stock cooler again if you donot want to overclock...or a cheap one from zalman.....
  4. What type of case do you have? If you have a regular tower, you'll have quite a few options. You'll want something with a big fan. Big fans spin slower so their quieter. Here's a very nice one for $30 if it will fit in your case:

COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus Intel Core i5 & Intel Core i7 compatible RR-B10-212P-G1 120mm "heatpipe direct contact" Long life sleeve CPU Cooler - Retail $29.99

Here's a low-profile option:

Scythe Big Shuriken SCBSK-1000 120mm CPU Cooler - Retail $33.99
  5. cooler master cm sphere......quiet, beautiful and temp under control. cheap.....
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Sempron CPUs Systems Product